11-23-11 – Triptych Portraits

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 11-23-11 – Triptych Portraits

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 311 total)
  • Author
    olavf
    Participant

I read that as “Five Miller” and thought, “That’s a lot of crappy beer”, but really, who am I to judge….

Have a happy Turkey Day!

You and me, both. Must be miller time.

Or bed time. We’ve covered a lot of miles this week. I’m surprised I had something to post.

gambitsgirl
    Participant

Els, would you mind deleting my blank entry here? Sorry, had a hiccup with the host in the middle of posting. TIA!

N/p, got it

Also, gambitsgirl: I got yours envotinated.

Thank you so much!!!!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Ha ha about the Miller. And no, I wouldn’t drink that swill (no offense to millera9–I like *that* Miller 😉 ) But after the race this morning, I might have to have a (good) beer later.

Thread’s looking great guys–well done! Hope everyone has a great day 🙂

olavf
    Participant

Actually, Elsinore. after the 26 miles of Titus Canyon in Death Valley, when one of the other guys in the group handed me a Miller- in a can- it was one of the best beers I’d ever had. The Newcastle back at the hotel tasted better, sure, but I didn’t have it with me 😛

Elsinore
    Keymaster

You did a freaking marathon in Death Valley? Holy shit!

olavf
    Participant

Well a marathon photography shoot. 55 photographers and three days in the Valley. With my bum foot, I can’t walk very far, let alone run 😉

Titus Canyon is a 27 mile one-way road that goes up the side of a mountain, and down into a slot canyon on the other side. Elevation change: Up about 2,000 feet, down around 5K to the valley floor. The pucker factor if you’re a passenger on the way up is about a seven. The road down isn’t so bad after Leadfield, but when the advisories say “Warnings: Infrequently patrolled, summer travel not advised. Canyon prone to flash flooding, avoid entering when rain threatens.” and it starts sprinkling…

I’ll put some stuff in the gallery to avoid clogging the contest thread later today, but here’s the NPS site for the canyon: http://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/titus-canyon.htm

orionid
    Participant

But there is actually a marathon through Titus Canyon each year. The Navy sends out a couple seals to run it and try to recruit people while they’re running.

U-Man
    Participant

I think we need to make it a rule U-Man is no longer allowed to use his children as subjects. And maybe NBD‘s pug too… TOO CUTE

Thanks, K. A guy at work just commented that I’m going to be bummed when my kids are all past the cute stage. I agree. But there’s no way I’m going back to having a baby in the house!

/I would be fine if it happened…but it’s not my first choice.

olavf
    Participant

Yeah, I saw a reference to that Orionid. That’s just insane.

The only reason I’d even consider going there in the Summer months would be to get a chance at watching the car engineers do endurance testing on their cars. Mercedes, BMW, and Audi all hang out in Beatty and drive their cars around the desert all day, and then hang out for beers at the Sourdough Saloon in the evenings. I just need to figure out exactly when…

Farktographer
    Participant

I think we need to make it a rule U-Man is no longer allowed to use his children as subjects. And maybe NBD‘s pug too… TOO CUTE

Thanks, K. A guy at work just commented that I’m going to be bummed when my kids are all past the cute stage. I agree. But there’s no way I’m going back to having a baby in the house!

That’s when you start borrowing/stealing other peoples’ cute kids.

zincprincess
    Participant

I love this theme! I want to give it a big old bear hug!!

Agreed. I didn’t have time to do three for the contest but I will do more of these for my own benefit.

Kestrana
    Participant

Yeah but U-Man then they’ll turn into amazingly gorgeous women to photograph instead.

Yoyo
    Participant

I know “past the cute stage” all to well. I got some (school) portraits of my nieces this past week in a letter from my sister-in-law. Last time I saw them at X-mas last year they were still attractive, but this year it’s “kill it with fire” for all 3 of them. Maybe it was just a bad week and they all had the mumps, but that’s the last time I would ever hire that photographer. Hopefully they’re grow out it soon.

U-Man
    Participant

K – Thanks. I have a biased opinion, but I agree with you.

Yoyo – Yeah, we all go through the awkward, zit-face, out-of-proportion-features features stage. You just have to hope it doesn’t last. 🙂

While I always like a win, I would ‘lose’ gracefully when the competition is as good as kashari’s horse.

nobigdeal
    Participant

Yeah but U-Man then they’ll turn into amazingly gorgeous women to photograph instead.

For all our sake lets hope for “get that stupid camera out of my face dad” teen attitude!

J/K I wouldn’t wish teen girl ‘tude on anybody!

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 311 total)
  • The topic ‘11-23-11 – Triptych Portraits’ is closed to new replies.