11-8-06 – Autumn

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Mystery solved, and millera9 was on the right track. Got this from fjvs:

Yesterday photo and the one with the Frankenstein head were taken in the Conservatory at the Bellagio Hotel, [in] Las Vegas. They were not photoshopped except to clean up a bit around the edges. They make incredible displays there.

I’ll post in the Fark thread as well.

millera9
    Participant

Cool! He deserves the votes he’s getting.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Absolutely 🙂

Diggin
    Participant

Yeah… I was over hear screaming “Shopped!” but didn’t say anything until someone contacted him. It’s a great pic!

bobroberts
    Participant

Woohoo! It looks like I might finally win something! No one can call me a total loser anymore! I’ve moved up to “mostly”, and maybe even just “partly”!

schnee
    Participant

1.) The FSM is giving me a “This Page Cannot Be Displayed” message. Hopefully there’s nothing wrong!

back now.
    grumble grumble stoopid dynamic ip addy grumble grumble

millera9
    Participant

1.) The FSM is giving me a “This Page Cannot Be Displayed” message. Hopefully there’s nothing wrong!

back now.

Hmm….still getting the “This Page Cannot Be Displayed” message thingy. Anyone else having the same issue?

schnee
    Participant

Woohoo! It looks like I might finally win something! No one can call me a total loser anymore! I’ve moved up to “mostly”, and maybe even just “partly”!

How about “not at all”? You have some pretty kickbutt photos, many of which provide fantastic environment. And, not only are you an “Ultra Farktographer” (as evidenced by the dark band in the listings), you are the highest averaging Ultra in both average votes and average standing.

I sit in awe (and a bit of jealousy)

schnee
    Participant

Speaking of average votes and standings, take a look at U-Man’s debut into the world of having enough entries to qualify for averages. #1 in standing and #2 in votes. Yowzers.

schnee
    Participant

back now.

Hmm….still getting the “This Page Cannot Be Displayed” message thingy. Anyone else having the same issue?

It could be that DNS hasn’t propagated to you yet, or maybe you’ve cached the error page.

Open a command prompt and do a “nslookup http://www.schneeworld.com” (if you can). You should get 66.25.132.126 back.

Also, force a reload of the page in your browser to get by the cache.

Finally, try this IP’ed URL. If that doesn’t work then there’s a glitch somewhere.

millera9
    Participant

back now.

It could be that DNS hasn’t propagated to you yet, or maybe you’ve cached the error page.

Open a command prompt and do a “nslookup http://www.schneeworld.com” (if you can). You should get 66.25.132.126 back.

Also, force a reload of the page in your browser to get by the cache.

Finally, try this IP’ed URL. If that doesn’t work then there’s a glitch somewhere.

Working just fine now. Patience is not my strong suit… 🙄

Thanks schnee!

bobroberts
    Participant

Thanks, schnee! I was being jokey about the loser part, but I’d gotten 2nd place a couple times and was really excited to finally have an entry get 1st — especially considering the consistent quality you see in these contests every week.

As for U-Man’s debut — very impressive.

And I love the FSM you’ve put up, by the way. I love clicking through the statistics and checking out other Farktographers’ work on there. And to the rest of all of you here who contribute weekly to make sure these contests go off without a hitch (like this site, for example): Thanks for all the time you put in. These contests are a lot of fun and are the reason why I re-joined TotalFark again.

Lastly…..what qualifies someone to be an Ultra Farktographer? I’ve never heard of that designation until now. A certain number of entries and votes?

monkeybort
    Participant

i *think* it has to do with the number of contests you’ve entered vs. the ## of contests since your boobies…..based on participation with a little dash of votes thrown in.

i think.

schnee has explained it before but i can’t hold it in my head for some reason.

schnee
    Participant

Lastly…..what qualifies someone to be an Ultra Farktographer? I’ve never heard of that designation until now. A certain number of entries and votes?

I probably need to put this in the FAQ.

The FSM only counts entries that have at least one vote. That’s sort of important. But that’s the only place that votes come into this stuff.

I needed to put some thresholds in place when I calculate averages. Otherwise, the best average votes report turns simply into the one hit wonders report. I arbitrarily chose 10 entries as the original threshold. This worked for a while, but I noticed some people who had 10 entries, but they were way in the past and they hadn’t participated for months. So I needed to add another threshold and finally decided that I’d figure out when a Farktographer’s initial contest was and then set the 2nd threshold to the number of entries equal to 1/3 the total number of contests since that Farktographer’s initial contest.

e.g. if I entered 12 contests ago, the 2nd threshold is “4 entries”

Both thresholds need to be met to be listed. The “10” threshold means that the Farktog has a demonstrated interest in Farktography and the 2nd threshold ensures that the Farktog keeps at it.

Then I started to think about Fark and Farktography. There are Farkers, Total Farkers and some super secret thing that no one is supposed to talk about. I wanted that for the FSM so I created:

Farktographer – anyone who entered any contest (and got a vote)

Active Farktographer – anyone who meets the 10 and 1/3*contests since Boobies criteria

Total Farktographer – anyone who meets the 10 and (1/2 * contests)

Elite Farktographer – anyone who meets the 10 and (1 * contests)

Ultra Farktographer – 10 and (2* contests) criteria

You have to be “active” to get into the average reports and all Total Farktographers are Active Farktographers. Every Ultra is also an Elite, &c. I shade the rows in the average listings based on your “level”.

The more you know … is probably more than you wanted.

schnee
    Participant

i can’t hold it in my head for some reason.

me neither – I had to look it up in the code comments.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 70 total)
  • The topic ‘11-8-06 – Autumn’ is closed to new replies.