12-31-08 – B-Sides and Unreleased Tracks

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 12-31-08 – B-Sides and Unreleased Tracks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Show us the shots you almost used for a previous theme. Include the theme name in your post.

Thanks for the theme suggestion go to Mopsy and NoBigDeal.

orionid
    Participant

I have a photo that I desperately wanted to use for “orange” but couldn’t because of the no citrus difficulty (woman in orange sweater below orange tree). Would this be kosher, or would it not work because it didn’t meet the original theme?

corsec67
    Participant

I have a photo that I desperately wanted to use for “orange” but couldn’t because of the no citrus difficulty (woman in orange sweater below orange tree). Would this be kosher, or would it not work because it didn’t meet the original theme?

Hah, I am in that same basket (of fruit….)

Glowing orange here we come (if entries that weren’t allowable in the original theme are allowed)

nobigdeal
    Participant

Hah, I am in that same basket (of fruit….)

Glowing orange here we come (if entries that weren’t allowable in the original theme are allowed)

I don’t see how a shot that didn’t fit the original theme could be used in this one.

If Orionids shot is focused on an orange sweater that happens to be on someone under an orange tree it may be ok.

Mods?

corsec67
    Participant

I don’t see how a shot that didn’t fit the original theme could be used in this one.

If Orionids shot is focused on an orange sweater that happens to be on someone under an orange tree it may be ok.

Mods?

Considering that the theme is attributed to you, that means that the alternate entries have to fit in the theme they were originally candidates for.

(So, no citrus for “Orange”)

Elsinore
    Keymaster

That’s my reading. I would defer to NoBigDeal’s and Mopsy’s readings of the theme description, but it does seem to suggest that entries to this theme had to have fit the original theme that they’d be listed under in the post for this theme.

orionid
    Participant

Sounds good. Just wanted to clarify that. No worries, I’m sure a theme will present itself someday.

mopsy
    Participant

Sorry, I haven’t been reading the discussion thread with all the Holiday “stuff” going on. I agree with Elsinore, it really needs to fit the theme of a previous contest. It’s those photos that you thought about entering and did not.

wrayvynn
    Participant

What if the photo was taken after the theme in question? like “i wish i would have taken this shot back when “trails- i can see where you have been” was posted.” or whatever.

I do that alot.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Well, since it says it’s for the shots you almost used for another contest, I would think shots taken after the named theme would not count.

nobigdeal
    Participant

What if the photo was taken after the theme in question? like “i wish i would have taken this shot back when “trails- i can see where you have been” was posted.” or whatever.

I do that alot.

Me too!! 😆

In the original thread for this theme idea we decided that photos should be taken prior to the date of the original contest.

More like you had four shots you couldn’t decide on for “trails” and after seeing what everybody else posted you though “damn, I shoulda used the one I didn’t use!”

orionid
    Participant

Okay, another dumb question…. And I swear I’m not trying to bend the rules, just making sure I’m not outright going to violate anything (including the spirit of the theme)

Does this include themes that allowed techniques not normally allowed? ie: HDR, Panoramics, Seasons Greetings Cards, etc.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yeah, it crossed my mind earlier today that the wording would certainly allow shots from themes that allowed normally disallowed techniques. Of course, we allow that for the anniversary theme, too (except maybe for the text added stuff, I think). On the one hand, it’s a little late to put a limit on things, but on the other hand, this is really just an archive diving theme, so maybe it wouldn’t be too late given we aren’t shooting anything for this one.

Any thoughts Mopsy or NoBigDeal?

corsec67
    Participant

More like you had four shots you couldn’t decide on for “trails” and after seeing what everybody else posted you though “damn, I shoulda used the one I didn’t use!”

Hah, that is me exactly. (Really, one of mine is from the Trails theme where I thought “why didn’t I use that one?”)

For HDR, it makes sense that if I had made a HDR for a theme that allows that, then I would be able to use it in this theme. Same for text if I had a fourth Christmas card for last week, right? Since one of the requirements for this theme is that you reference the original theme, what is and is not allowed should be based on the original theme. (At least, that is my opinion, which is worth the paper it is written on times what you paid for it, but I don’t know what you would do with 0$^2)

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

Picking a group of “finalists” image wasn’t hard this week. There are a number of photos I like but didn’t end up choosing for contests.

But… picking three out of that pool is proving very difficult. It’s like picking your three favorites kids out of a group that has been rejected once already. It’s proving to be much harder to decide what to submit this week.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
  • The topic ‘12-31-08 – B-Sides and Unreleased Tracks’ is closed to new replies.