12-31-08 – B-Sides and Unreleased Tracks

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 12-31-08 – B-Sides and Unreleased Tracks

Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    U-Man
    Participant

Can we just do this one again next week? Choosing the pics actually hurt a little.

/still not satisfied with my choices.
    //coulda, woulda, shoulda
    ///strong work Mopsy and NoBig

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

The link when live on the main page earlier than normal this week (for obvious reasons!) so it might confuse people. Also, since it’s New Year’s Eve, voting will almost certainly be light anyway. So we’ll have to wait for the hang-over voters tomorrow. 🙂

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

Update to previous post… It’s been pulled from the main page and now the thread says,

Clicked 168 times; will post to Main on Thu, 01 Jan 2009 at 12:01 AM

so I think we’re back to normal midnight launch time. There were some votes already, so presumably they will just carry over.

justkat
    Participant

on the rollercoaster that is the graph of my FSM portfolio this contest represents a very exciting moment. Quite the plunge. 😛

lokisbong
    Participant

The lack of entries in general seem to be skewing the results.I have less votes than normal but they are placing pretty high on the FSM portfolio.

U-Man
    Participant

Aw Christ. I had to work 7 A ’til 10 P on New Year’s Eve. I was making decisions about pics and posting them between cases. I posted two and couldn’t decide about the third because I had too many choices. Then things got busy at work and I completely forgot to post a third. I didn’t even notice until last night. I was checking the votes and kept scrolling down, looking for the third one.

/agrees with the masses that soosh’s pic is the best of the bunch.
    //harpo’s ‘shroom caught my eye as well. I can picture a tiny dinosaur in there.

nobigdeal
    Participant

I went into this weeks theme figuring to use something I already had in my Flickr. Usually I will upload 4 or 5 shots for each week and make the decision at last minute which ones to use.

After looking at the ones I was thinking of I wasn’t very inspired so I decided to sit down and look through all the pictures I have in my computer.

WOW! I have about 35,000 images in my hard drive and external drive My pictures folder is 25gb and the external drive has 155gb of photos. 😯

By spending 2 hours going through all this I found four shots that I think blew away all the shots I entered for the original contests.

This is the 4th one I would have used for “reflections”

It is ground zero reflected in the World Financial Center building

Even though this week was slow I think it was a hit. If we do it again next year it won’t fall on New Years Eve so it should get better response.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

WOW! I have about 35,000 images in my hard drive and external drive My pictures folder is 25gb and the external drive has 155gb of photos. 😯

…text deleted…

It is ground zero reflected in the World Financial Center building

Ha! The biggest difference I’ve noticed between using a digital camera versus film is the sheer volume of photos I end up with. It’s just too easy to take 200+ shots in one outing with a digital camera. No film to buy, lug around, change, have developed, etc… So I can see winding up just like you after this continues for awhile. How long has it taken to rack up that much disk use?

And that reflection shot is quite nice, I miss visiting New York. It’s not as easy to zip up for a weekend when your starting point is California and not Washington DC.

soosh
    Participant

I’ve got about 250GB of photos. I always shoot in RAW, and that includes the post-processing which generally includes saving as a full-sized psd file and then a reduced jpg for the web.

nobigdeal
    Participant

I shoot all RAW as of a few months ago. I used to shoot RAW & a small JPEG to make it easier to sort through the photos before processing. Now I have Vista in my laptop and it reads Canon Raw so all my photos show up as thumbnails in the folders RAW or not. Some of my shots go back to 2002 when I got my first digital camera, but not many. (maybe 1000 shots total)

I got my 1st DSLR in 05 but used it mostly for my eBay store until 06 when I went back to a P&S for the store because it was easier to use. ( I have another 100gb of just eBay shots too!)

I really didn’t start getting heavy into using the DSLR (EVolt E500) until Feb 07 when I went for a weekend in NY and took it with me. After taking some not so great shots in auto mode I finally busted out teh manual and learned myself how to use the thing. The shots I posted from NY were taken on that trip. The difference in quality after I read the manual was amazing. It really got me back into photography in a big way.

So I figure 2 years to fill up that much space but since I started with Farktography last year my shooting has really increased so I expect to need another 500gb hard drive or maybe a 1tb pretty soon.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Congrats to soosh on his B-side turned A-side. Great showing this week, folks!

Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • The topic ‘12-31-08 – B-Sides and Unreleased Tracks’ is closed to new replies.