3-21-07 – 7 deadly sins

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 3-21-07 – 7 deadly sins

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’m seriously disappointed that a sloth has taken the lead. There are many great representations of the 7 deadly sins and using a sloth, literally, just took the fun right out of it. It’s so far off topic and sarcastic that it’s almost an insult to the integrity of the contest, if there ever was any. Is this going to be the trend?

That seriously took the fun right out of the contest for you? An extremely well photographed picture of a literal sloth just ruined the contest? As I said in the thread and here, I myself was going to do a sloth picture, but there were none at the local zoo. It’s *funny*. Besides, there are plenty of other animal pictures in the thread depicting the various sins–do they insult the “integrity” of Farktography as well? Or only when they’re winning?

As for being “off topic”, I’d say a picture of a sloth, the very embodiment of, you know, sloth, is completely on topic, and certainly moreso than, say, pictures of windows posted to the Doors theme (yes it happened).

Just my .02 but keep in mind I’m grumpy in the mornings.

Methinks you’re taking this far too seriously. Have more coffee. Or sleep in a little later. 😉

/also grumpy in the mornings

Diggin
    Participant

Yeah, I’ve had my coffee, yelled at my coworkers and slapped the illegal alien cleaning crew girl so I feel a bit better now.

(Edited out my misquote)

I’m not mad and I do take most things seriously but taking a picture of a sloth just seems to be an easy way of avoiding the theme. Monkeyborts photo, yours and a few others are excellent representations of the theme and it bothers me that something like this sloth picture makes the top of the list because of it sarcastic value instead of creativity, quality of the photo with respect to the theme.

I will say that “Shades of gray poupon” was sarcastic and a good one but at least it was on topic. I liked it.

monkeybort
    Participant

thanks for the props, diggin!

re: sarcastic/funny photos winning farktog contests….it happens all the time. 2nd place in ‘our bodies ourselves’ was a blurry picture of some guy’s thumb sticking out of his fly. the winner for valentine’s day was a shot of Foobies with a bottle of lotion and a kleenex (still think that’s hilarious btw miller) etc etc. it’s not always the best-executed photo that wins, but the one that strikes the right chord with the most people.

/not putting your pic down, miller, just using it as an example of cynicism winning a contest.

//also not putting down ‘zard’s pick – i think it’s a great picture.

linguine
    Participant

I personally love lots of the sarcastic entries that we get, and with this being fark its probably much easier to just go with them and enjoy them rather than fight them.

Diggin
    Participant

I understand sarcasm will be in the photo contests and I believe thats part of what makes it fun. The others you mentioned were great too and I agree they were on-topic but I’m trying to be more specific by saying a Sloth (animal) is not a seven deadly sin. To me, the picture of a sloth in a “7 deadly sins” contest could be compared to someone submitting a picture of Rick Ocasek in a “The Car” contest. Or Larry Byrd in “The Birds” contest.

/Blah

What am I doing? I’m not arguing or even trying to. It’s not in my nature. Fuck it, the Sloth is funny and I need to get laid.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

What am I doing? I’m not arguing or even trying to. It’s not in my nature. Fuck it, the Sloth is funny and I need to get laid.

That’d be lust 😉

Seriously, though, as the others have said, it does happen all the time, and it’s just part of contests on Fark. And honestly, I don’t think evilzard even intended his entry in a sarcastic manner, more of a dorky fun way (at least that’s the sense I’ve gotten from him). If I’d managed to get a sloth (animal) pic, it would have absolutely been sarcastic though, since that’s the way I roll (see also: my Megachurch entry :lol:) Probably wouldn’t have been as well photographed though!

Thanks for the support, I do appreciate the kind words, though I think my entries were quite a lot more ‘meh’ than ‘bort’s fab lust shots. Pictures resonate with different people for different reasons. There won’t be any real answers (only conjecture) as to why one picture does better than another, and if the contest were held on a different day with all the same people, a different picture might even have won. Just take it as a zen thing and have fun with it 😉

zeke
    Participant

Fuck it, the Sloth is funny and I need to get laid.

But… I thought that was just a photo op?

*grin*

Curious
    Participant

well i’m happy mine did as well as they did. one can’t really assign human “sins” to animals so the kitty eating was hungry and not really a glutton. but 14 people saw what i was aiming at so …went for the cat lover vote

anyway it was “art” and as we all know “art” is representational.

and back on topic while i would rather a representational image won that shot is both funny and well done. and it’s really about the fun after all.

evilzard
    Participant

Hey Everyone,

I’m sorry for putting that photo of the sloth up there – I just thought it would be funny and get people to look at an actual sloth that was found in the wild. I guess I didn’t realize how these contests work. Is there a way to retract my photos? I guess I can get a mod to delete them if that’s what people want. I really do not care about winning a contest. I’m just not a competitive person, but I should have realized that others may not share that view. I thought my photos from my perspective were on topic, but I have a weird perspective. Every contest I would be in would have some sort of wildlife photo because that’s my thing, but if these contests are really serious, then I just won’t play in them or I could just post the photos without the ability to vote.

I’m sorry for causing trouble. It wasn’t intentional.

Diggin
    Participant

There’s no problem evilzard. Just me being a pain in the ass from months of celibacy. Anyone here would agree it’s a great pic and I’m worse than scrooge on bad days. I can’t help it sometimes.

Sorry about the fuss but if you take the picture down it will hurt my feelings.
    So don’t even think about it! I like the pic and I don’t take these contests seriously either.

So accept my apology for being a dick about it.

evilzard
    Participant

Oh no, I should have realized that my photos would not be considered on topic for many TFers and I do apologize for that. My enthusiasm for biology and wildlife may get the best of me on occasion and I do like to share that with other people, but I think I may go too far sometimes.

I didn’t mean to cause any trouble, really.

I won’t take the photos down if you don’t want me to. I also didn’t mean to imply that the contest wasn’t important to me – it’s just that winning isn’t very important to me, since I’m just not a competitive person by nature. I should have realized that other people may not share that view.

Anyway, I promise to not be a doodiehead next time 🙂

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Just to be clear, though, your pictures were absolutely on topic for many TFers as well. Post the pictures you love–themes almost always have some interpretive license to them. Please don’t let this stifle you!

swampa
    Participant

Awww but I don’t want to be the only doodiehead here 😥

Funny interpretations of the topic tend to do well, just look at the v-day comp (just using that as an example, not saying there is anything wrong with it!)

zeke
    Participant

Funny interpretations of the topic tend to do well, just look at the v-day comp (just using that as an example, not saying there is anything wrong with it!)

Word to that. Taking the theme concept and twisting it a bit is always fun. It usually results in something unique and different and makes people think a little different. A ‘Birds’ theme can only be so much fun if everyone actually posts actual bird shots, as opposed to pictures of Larry Byrd or some obscure hippie rock band from the 60s.

[Lewis Black] Oh look, its another picture of… wait for it… an avian critter. I honestly wasnt expecting that. After all I mean, c’mon what WERE the odds?[/Lewis Black].

Seriously though, so long as its remotely on theme, let em rip. Now, if you posted a picture of something totally off the wall like, oh I dont know, a picture of a cardboard box, THAT would be a different story. 😉

veruca
    Participant

You weren’t a doodiehead this time IMO. Like others have alluded to and said before me, farktography (hell, photography) is such a subjective art form. That and mix the FARK crowd in and you never know what the outcome will be.

Your interpretation was perfectly fine from my perspective. Pre-congrats on what looks like a win in your favor.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)
  • The topic ‘3-21-07 – 7 deadly sins’ is closed to new replies.