3-6-13 – Software Hootenanny 3

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 3-6-13 – Software Hootenanny 3

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Query: Can I make a photomosaic? I ask because it’s an image made up of photos, so it may occupy a grey area.

Yugoboy, I just saw that no one had commented on this yet, so here’s my two cents: As I recall, photomosaics are fine for this contest, but each photo (used as a “pixel” in the mosaic) is counted as being “used” and thus cannot be re-used in a future contest (that doesn’t explicitly allow reposts). Conversely, each component photo cannot have been entered in a prior contest.

That’s what’s kept me away from them mostly in contests where they might otherwise be allowed – the thought of “burning” so many potential future entries in one shot.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

NOTE: No pasting or moving subjects not in the original photo(s) like in a PS contest.

Only caveat is that you still can’t cut/paste objects into or out of the photos as you would for a PS contest. (e.g. simple retouching is fine, removing light poles not so much)

So I find myself also in need of some clarification on this one. The first quote (from the theme’s description) seems to imply combining elements from different photos is OK as long as they’re all original photos (i.e., no clipart or digitally “painting” non-existent subjects). But the second quote (from the Fark discussion thread) seems to rule that out, in which case my entry in the previous incarnation of this theme should’ve been disqualified as each moon is a separate shot and wasn’t present in the original background photo.

Did I get by with a rule violation on the previous contest or am I trying to interpret the theme rules too strictly?

linguine
    Participant

NOTE: No pasting or moving subjects not in the original photo(s) like in a PS contest.

Only caveat is that you still can’t cut/paste objects into or out of the photos as you would for a PS contest. (e.g. simple retouching is fine, removing light poles not so much)

So I find myself also in need of some clarification on this one. The first quote (from the theme’s description) seems to imply combining elements from different photos is OK as long as they’re all original photos (i.e., no clipart or digitally “painting” non-existent subjects). But the second quote (from the Fark discussion thread) seems to rule that out, in which case my entry in the previous incarnation of this theme should’ve been disqualified as each moon is a separate shot and wasn’t present in the original background photo.

Did I get by with a rule violation on the previous contest or am I trying to interpret the theme rules too strictly?

Im only seeing “No pasting or moving subjects not in the original photo(s)” in the description so I think your old entry was fine.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Honestly, I would say that unless you’re stacking the entire photo, then yes, adding single elements between photos would not be in line with this one. I’m not worried about your old entry if there was confusion, though.

Yugoboy
    Participant

Query: Can I make a photomosaic? I ask because it’s an image made up of photos, so it may occupy a grey area.

Yugoboy, I just saw that no one had commented on this yet, so here’s my two cents: As I recall, photomosaics are fine for this contest, but each photo (used as a “pixel” in the mosaic) is counted as being “used” and thus cannot be re-used in a future contest (that doesn’t explicitly allow reposts). Conversely, each component photo cannot have been entered in a prior contest.

That’s what’s kept me away from them mostly in contests where they might otherwise be allowed – the thought of “burning” so many potential future entries in one shot.

I suddenly thought of a good use for all those too dark, too light, too blurry photos I never get around to deleting…

orionid
    Participant

What about filters that move things automatically, like the droste effect I’ve used previously. The prior ruling was that it was a filter, thus still allowed. Is that still the case?

Example:

Endless Scream by Orionid, on Flickr

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Honestly, I would say that unless you’re stacking the entire photo, then yes, adding single elements between photos would not be in line with this one.

Good to know, thanks. When stacking two shots of the same setting, is any non-uniform transparency masking allowed between the layers?

If you don’t mind, I’m going to PM you links to a couple of shots I was thinking of trying to reproduce for this one if they’re kosher.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

What about filters that move things automatically, like the droste effect I’ve used previously. The prior ruling was that it was a filter, thus still allowed. Is that still the case?

Example:

Endless Scream by Orionid, on Flickr

Seems fine to me..it’s just using the same base image and twirling it around I guess.

Now I’m second thinking…damn…how do we thread the consistency needle on this one?

Yugoboy
    Participant

Now I’m second thinking…damn…how do we thread the consistency needle on this one?

Liberally. The contest literally screams for software post-process overload. I would be generous about it.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I think you’re right. I mentioned to CISS in the PM convo that if the consensus is to let it all hang out (e.g. interpret exposure stacking any way you want, not just restricted to HDR or astrophotography types of exposure stacking) then I’d be fine with that. It’s a Hootenanny, after all.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Yeah, that’s the line of thinking that got me asking for an opinion in the first place. 😉

So, as Els mentioned above, the opinion I sought from her should really be a group consensus. How much territory does/should “hootenanny” cover? The specific technique I’m asking about consists of stacking two or more shots of the same scene with slightly different settings and then selectively allowing sections of one or the other to be visible.

Here are links to a couple of examples:

// Originally wanted to keep this on the down-low ’cause I know y’all are some creative sumbitches. 😛 But, as you can see, the idea didn’t exactly originate with me.

linguine
    Participant

Yeah, that’s the line of thinking that got me asking for an opinion in the first place. 😉

So, as Els mentioned above, the opinion I sought from her should really be a group consensus. How much territory does/should “hootenanny” cover? The specific technique I’m asking about consists of stacking two or more shots of the same scene with slightly different settings and then selectively allowing sections of one or the other to be visible.

Here are links to a couple of examples:

// Originally wanted to keep this on the down-low ’cause I know y’all are some creative sumbitches. 😛 But, as you can see, the idea didn’t exactly originate with me.

I would be fine with allowing those, theyre different from anything thats been done before but I wouldn’t say they’re out of line with whats been done for the previous hootenanies.(and they’re pretty cool)

ravnostic
    Participant

Cant we just let it all hang out here? I mean, jebus…with Orionid’s tongue sticking out like that and all…why even bother to keep things kosher? It is *Hoot*y isn’t it? (I mean the theme, of course) Just my opinion, having nothing for this contest eyet’ YMMV

fluffybunny
    Participant

Cant we just let it all hang out here? I mean, jebus…with Orionid’s tongue sticking out like that and all…why even bother to keep things kosher? It is *Hoot*y isn’t it? (I mean the theme, of course) Just my opinion, having nothing for this contest eyet’ YMMV

Kind of leaning this way myself. Maybe a rule/caveat that’s more of a suggestion,… “OK folks, try to not make this a classic PS contest” or something to that effect. As we’re seeing, software is a slippery slope, might as well put our collective hands in the air and scream “Wheeee!!!” as we head for the bottom.

We do have the as yet unspoken (I think, haven’t made a thorough review) rule for this that all the photos must be yours. This means at least we won’t have the looter guy, paint huffer guy or whoever the darling of the week is showing up.

Yugoboy
    Participant

We do have the as yet unspoken (I think, haven’t made a thorough review) rule for this that all the photos must be yours. This means at least we won’t have the looter guy, paint huffer guy or whoever the darling of the week is showing up.

But even if that caveat is made, if I make a warp-tool creature with one of my photos is that kosher or is that going too far?

Not that I’m planning on doing that… heck, I still have to get my pets together for tonight… but given that February Recess starts Friday afternoon, if I’m allowed to go that far, I just might. While the suggestion is to be liberal, at what point are we so open-minded our brains fall out?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 100 total)
  • The topic ‘3-6-13 – Software Hootenanny 3’ is closed to new replies.