3-6-13 – Software Hootenanny 3

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 3-6-13 – Software Hootenanny 3

Viewing 10 posts - 91 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    Yugoboy
    Participant

The essence is this . . . (lots and lots of words…)

Wow! You went the scenic route!

Honestly, it came out AWESOME.

Me? I’d have used “Liquify” and “dodge” to do the same thing. I think if we had a melt-off, though, your technique would win. It was/is an impressive shot.

fluffybunny
    Participant

The essence is this . . . (lots and lots of words…)

Wow! You went the scenic route!

Honestly, it came out AWESOME.

Me? I’d have used “Liquify” and “dodge” to do the same thing. I think if we had a melt-off, though, your technique would win. It was/is an impressive shot.

Thanks Yugoboy, I did try the liquify route in the beginning but either it’s not a good tool for the job or I lack the shop-fu to make it work (more than likely this). Of the three I submitted this was by far the most fun.

fluffybunny
    Participant

I put up some samples of the originals and layered steps for “Liquid Tulip” in the Tips & Tricks section:
    http://www.farktography.net/index.php?module=forum&file=viewtopic&t=3877

CISS, I had a thought. Your two are reminiscent of a Boston or Kansas album cover, especially the daytime version. Two of my favorite bands from childhood through today, in no small part because of their album art.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

CISS, I had a thought. Your two are reminiscent of a Boston or Kansas album cover, especially the daytime version. Two of my favorite bands from childhood through today, in no small part because of their album art.

Wow, thanks much, fluffy; that’s an unbelievable compliment, ’cause I’m right there with you. Kansas was the first show I ever saw, during their Point of Know Return tour. Loverboy opened for them (meh). And Steve Walsh had a sore throat so the vocals weren’t great. I still loved it. I’ve seen them at least half a dozen times since. The only band I’ve seen more times is probably (and this is really going to date me) Grand Funk.

And as for your tulip, I can’t really say much more than what Yugoboy said – Wow! I assumed it was just talented use of a liquify tool, but that certainly explains its realism. And here’s an example – my wife was looking over my shoulder while I was browsing the results and she saw your tulip in 2nd and said (now bear with me, it gets better ;)), “what’s so great about that?” When I explained that you created the drips and that they weren’t real, she then said, “oh, wow!”

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Not sure why the thread is still open, but I think it’s pretty clear (Be)CauseISaidSo has carried it–congrats!

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Thanks Els, and thanks to everyone who voted. Congrats also to U-Man on his combined win.

fluffy, after rereading my last post, I feel like I may not have fully expressed my thought correctly, so just to be sure – that was meant as nothing but a compliment. My wife’s initial comment arose from the fact that she knew it was a software manipulation contest and you did such a great & realistic job that she couldn’t at first tell that it was anything other than a plain photo.

fluffybunny
    Participant

Thanks Els, and thanks to everyone who voted. Congrats also to U-Man on his combined win.

fluffy, after rereading my last post, I feel like I may not have fully expressed my thought correctly, so just to be sure – that was meant as nothing but a compliment. My wife’s initial comment arose from the fact that she knew it was a software manipulation contest and you did such a great & realistic job that she couldn’t at first tell that it was anything other than a plain photo.

Yeah, I understood that from you’re original post. In fact after I finished with it, I had the same exact thought,.. “I wonder if this is too real?” I guess outside of a context that has a clear purpose like this, an audience might not see it as a software work or a photograph. I suppose that’s the whole point, just to see it as art.

orionid
    Participant

I guess I’ll make one more response. First off, I’m not upset or anything. I may have came across somewhat angry in my earlier post, but I’m not. In fact, I have a bit of a sheepish smile right now. And I recognize what the concensus was and is. I guess this is just one of those things where I’ll have to accept things as they are, and participate at the level I feel comfortable with. And this is why I like you guys. We can have civil disagreements and at the end of the day still have fun.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

orionid, I know that wasn’t just for me, but for the small part that maybe was, let me say that I appreciate knowing that. That’s one of the things I dislike most about this form of communication – without vocal inflections & facial cues, it can sometimes be tough to judge true meaning and I was concerned that you were truly upset. So, all is well again. Awesome.

Yugoboy
    Participant

Well. There goes all my righteous indignation…

😉

Viewing 10 posts - 91 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • The topic ‘3-6-13 – Software Hootenanny 3’ is closed to new replies.