Farktography, the next Generation.

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill Farktography, the next Generation.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    SilverStag
    Participant

My D50 was just collecting dust, and I don’t have enough spare cash to get it converted to IR, so I gave it to my grandson Austin (along with a tripod, some Kelby books, and an old Lowepro bag.)

I’ve started taking him with me on shoots, as well. He’s got a natural eye, and with a little practice, I think will someday give us old farts a run for the money. Watch out, future Farktographers!

Austin shooting by pjern, on Flickr

Austin shooting at the 100 Acres Art and Nature Preserve.

Mirror Image by pjern, on Flickr

Austin Chimping in Crown Hill Cemetery.

orionid
    Participant

Awesome!

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Cool! I’ve tried to get my kids interested in it but so far haven’t had much luck. My oldest takes some photos now and then but I wouldn’t say he’s necessarily interested in photography.

Kestrana
    Participant

Excellent!

zincprincess
    Participant

Cool.

My daughter seems to be into the idea of taking pictures – lots of pretend shots with a $5 play camera and having us “review” her work. I’ve been looking for a digital camera rugged enough for a 4 or 5 year old but with decent megapixels (like 2 or more). It has been surprisingly hard to find.

chupathingie
    Participant

My niece seems to have a natural eye… my sis and I split a Rebel XSi for her for christmas. She’s got an account here, but I have yet to see her on. I was hoping she’d get involved in the contests (since I never seem to get away from work long enough to do any extended shooting). Now all I need to do is find some worthy person to take my old 300D with broken autofocus… or remove the lo-pass filter and turn it into a dedicated HA imager…

Curious
    Participant

Cool! I’ve tried to get my kids interested in it but so far haven’t had much luck. My oldest takes some photos now and then but I wouldn’t say he’s necessarily interested in photography.

i bought my step daughter a used film camera (digital wasn’t around much in ’96) and after two photo excursions it sat in her closet.

on the plus side a friend has become interested in better photography and started entering these contests. in fact her vote totals were above mine in “travel photography”.

orionid
    Participant

… or remove the lo-pass filter and turn it into a dedicated HA imager…

This.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

i bought my step daughter a used film camera (digital wasn’t around much in ’96) and after two photo excursions it sat in her closet.

Similar story – I gave the Nikkormat (the camera that first got me interested in photography as a hobby) that my parents bought for me when I was 16 to my daughter. She bought a 3-pack of film for it, used part of one roll (which I don’t think ever got developed) and ended up giving the other two to one of her friends who’s into it. 🙁

Kestrana
    Participant

Cool.

My daughter seems to be into the idea of taking pictures – lots of pretend shots with a $5 play camera and having us “review” her work. I’ve been looking for a digital camera rugged enough for a 4 or 5 year old but with decent megapixels (like 2 or more). It has been surprisingly hard to find.

We have a couple that might work at JCPenney:

http://www4.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?GrpTyp=PRD&ItemID=16f4efe&Ntt=camera&hdnOnGo=true&Ne=840+4+877+878+5+961+6+29+3+598+11+15+12+506+10+23+585+596+1031+8+18+904+903+969+949+833&submit%20search.y=0&SearchString=camera&submit%20search.x=0&N=4294959029&Nao=0&SO=0&PSO=0&CmCatId=searchresults

http://www4.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?GrpTyp=PRD&ItemID=196d1b2&Ntt=camera&Ne=840+4+877+878+5+961+6+29+3+598+11+15+12+506+10+23+585+596+1031+8+18+904+903+969+949+833&hdnOnGo=true&submit%20search.y=0&SearchString=camera&submit%20search.x=0&N=4294959029&Nao=21&SO=0&PSO=0&CmCatId=searchresults&tagpageview=true

Just missed a Friends & Family weekend but there will another one in November or early December, I can post a coupon.

zincprincess
    Participant

Thanks. I saw this one as well. It has 2 mp which is better than most that I have seen.

http://www4.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?Grptyp=PRD&ItemId=196ced7&cmOrigId=196d1b2&cmTypeFlag=RichRel&cmCatID=searchresults

LeicaLens
    Participant

My old mobile phone had a 5mp camera on it. It can no longer be used as a phone, so I am wondering about giving it to my eldest niece, as she seems to like taking snaps (she’s eight).

Got to indoctrinate/start them young.

olavf
    Participant

We got the kids matching Canon A-series cameras last year for Summer Solstice, but I can’t remember the model off-hand and I wouldn’t recommend them because they run off AA batteries and, quite frankly, the battery life sucks, and they’re slow. And the battery life sucks worse with hybrid rechargeables.

Also, they were in the $80 range (my youngest is eight, so it’s a different game) which probably isn’t appropriate for a 4-5-year-old.

And, FWIW, the way it works here is the oldest loves taking pictures, but he’s gotten more reticent about doing so – I think he feels intimidated by Kat and I and doesn’t seem to even want to show us what he does. The girls like shooting weird videos and putting them up on youtube. Pics are secondary.

nobigdeal
    Participant

I gave my daughter my Sony P&S but all she uses if for is taking hundreds of Myspace Angle shots of herself to post on Facebook

orionid
    Participant

I’ve actually been considering scanning negatives from my early days. There’s a lot photos of the cat’s ass, and random shit that I have no idea why I took photos of.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • The topic ‘Farktography, the next Generation.’ is closed to new replies.