Farktography, the next Generation.

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill Farktography, the next Generation.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Curious
    Participant

I’ve actually been considering scanning negatives from my early days. There’s a lot photos of the cat’s ass, and random shit that I have no idea why I took photos of.

i have all my negs from the ’70s sleeved with contact sheets but even with a fancy scanner digitizing them is turning out to be a pain. i also tried sleeving the stuff from later to make digital contact sheets but that had limited success.

SilverStag
    Participant

I said piss on scanning negatives. I just put a slide copy rig on the end of my 50mm 1.8, and copy them that way. Put em in Photoshop and invert the values. Do a levels and curves adjustment, and you’re golden.

olavf
    Participant

I’d just be happy if my folks could find the bajillion pictures I took as a kid with my old Yashika FX-3. I have one small photo album, but I know there are scores of pictures in a box somewhere in their house. I know I took about 100x the shots in that album when I was in the PI alone.

clouddancer
    Participant

It may take a bit and they may stop for a while and come back to it later, but don’t entirely give up on the next generation. 🙂 I think I’m included in that “next generation” group. Maybe it’s just a thing in my family, but there are scores of photo albums, and not just of my sister and I growing up, but of my parents and even of their parents. My Mom hasn’t even finished putting them all in albums, either. A lot still sit in photo boxes. Someone was always taking pictures of something. My husband remarked a couple of times that it was like I was an only child or something, but there isn’t exactly an inequality of pictures between my sister and I. It’s sort of my parent’s legacy to us, I guess. That’s the way I see it any way. I like looking back and knowing we went to these places, or we did these silly things. I’ve done the same with my sons, only their legacies are in scrapbooks with commentary and dates. I guess somewhere along the way I decided other things would be neat to take pictures of, too, not just the kids and started branching out. No clue if I really have an eye for it looking through the lens, but I like to think I’m getting better and that some day my kids will thank me for chronicling our lives in this way because they’ll be able to see how they grew up and will have these memories intact, very nearly as they happened. Some day in a bigger (better) house, the albums and scrapbooks will be on proper shelves for anyone and everyone to look at.

Just my two cents from the next generation.

orionid
    Participant

Some day in a bigger (better) house, the albums and scrapbooks will be on proper shelves for anyone and everyone to look at.

Weird. I’ve never looked at it that way. I’ve always been of the school where thought was: Someday, in a bigger (better) house, I’ll have a dedicated darkroom in the basement so I can stop weatherstripping the bathroom everywhere I move.

Curious
    Participant

Some day in a bigger (better) house, the albums and scrapbooks will be on proper shelves for anyone and everyone to look at.

Weird. I’ve never looked at it that way. I’ve always been of the school where thought was: Someday, in a bigger (better) house, I’ll have a dedicated darkroom in the basement so I can stop weatherstripping the bathroom everywhere I move.

there are no basements here but THIS. i have an unused interior bathroom but no darkroom equipment 🙁

my grandmother was a famous radio writer. a guy called a couple of years back wanting info for a book he was writing that would include her part in a particular show. now i was impressed by that but not overly so since i grew up knowing she was once famous. my friend however got all excited and started digging in ancestry.com and nagging me to scan all the old photos my sister and i got when mother died. the net result is i know far more about my family than ever and have a pretty complete digital album. she also organized and put a large percent of my 4×6 photos into this photo album tower.

Kestrana
    Participant

Please, so maybe I can actually close the bathroom door for once.

orionid
    Participant

there are no basements here but THIS. i have an unused interior bathroom but no darkroom equipment 🙁

my grandmother was a famous radio writer. a guy called a couple of years back wanting info for a book he was writing that would include her part in a particular show. now i was impressed by that but not overly so since i grew up knowing she was once famous. my friend however got all excited and started digging in ancestry.com and nagging me to scan all the old photos my sister and i got when mother died. the net result is i know far more about my family than ever and have a pretty complete digital album. she also organized and put a large percent of my 4×6 photos into this photo album tower.

I have access to an extra Bessler 35mm enlarger if you’re interested.

Curious
    Participant

I have access to an extra Bessler 35mm enlarger if you’re interested.

it wouldn’t happen to be a 23C would it? even if not i’m interested.

color at 8×10 i can do with any of my three inkjets. some better than others. and the price of color enlargements at sam’s is ridiculously cheap. got a 16×20 for under $20 bucks. but b/w prints just don’t seem the same although i haven’t tried too many.

orionid
    Participant

No, it’s not. IIRC, it’s a printmaker35, the little one for 35mm only. It’s in my parents’ garage right now.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • The topic ‘Farktography, the next Generation.’ is closed to new replies.