Flickr problem ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Curious
    Participant

for those of you who use flickr please note this comment in the PSAEF.
    http://www.fark.com/cgi/comments.pl?IDLink=6&hoursago=48&hours=48&startid=61820333#c62392905

some of the photoshoppers use flickr and it seems flickr’s layout change makes using them for contests somewhat harder.

frankly i don’t like the new layout even for viewing. got on my page without logging in and navigating is more awkward, especially for the larger sizes.

orionid
    Participant

just seems to be playing into the common internet business model:
    1) Offer quality product that makes people happy
    2) get millions of subscribers/users
    3) turn quality product into shiatty product that no one wants.
    4) sue the bajesis out of any start-ups that offer anything remotely close to your now unoffered original product
    5) profit.

ravnostic
    Participant

[smiles smuggly]

You get what you don’t pay for.

10$/yr, NO Problems. [well, far fewer problems, at least.]

The offer in previous thread still stands.

orionid
    Participant

The problem is that most of us have pro accounts and do pay for them, although I’ve pretty much exclusively used my fileserver for hosting and just linked back to flickr since I started before I had a flickr account.

Curious
    Participant

i too have a pro account which i use for general internet sharing. my paid hosting has my website and separate folders for farktography and photoshop entries.

i really should learn how to create galleries for my flickr collections put them on my website and just let flickr go. part of the problem i have is not knowing how to set permissions and/or use htaccess.

sleeping
    Participant

I’ve found the new setup vastly more convenient than the old one, myself.

All you need to do is Share this > Grab the HTML > Select Medium 640 > Copy > Paste into Fark

Or, you can get the Image URL from Actions > View All Sizes – in that case you just need to chop off the _d at the end of the URL (which makes it download instead of loading in a browser).

olavf
    Participant

i too have a pro account which i use for general internet sharing. my paid hosting has my website and separate folders for farktography and photoshop entries.

i really should learn how to create galleries for my flickr collections put them on my website and just let flickr go. part of the problem i have is not knowing how to set permissions and/or use htaccess.

I use Gallery2 http://gallery.menalto.com/ on my server, but I’ve been woefully bad at updating it for the contests. What I need to start doing is rather than posting both sizes in a folder, is have the small one in a contest folder, and the larger one in the gallery and linked.

The big thing you need there is access to a MySQL database, but your host should be able to do that for you.

nobigdeal
    Participant

I’ve found the new setup vastly more convenient than the old one, myself.

All you need to do is Share this > Grab the HTML > Select Medium 640 > Copy > Paste into Fark

Or, you can get the Image URL from Actions > View All Sizes – in that case you just need to chop off the _d at the end of the URL (which makes it download instead of loading in a browser).

I don’t mind the new setup. It is more of a hassle to find the larger sizes but they will probably address that as it seems to be everyones complaint.

As for grabbing the fark sized images I have found the same issue as was before. The smaller file sizes seem to gain KB somewhere in flikr’s resizing. If my original pic is 1000X 800 asnd 85kb the 640 version on Flickr is 385kb.

Go figure. I just post the original size image and let Fark resize it to 640

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I don’t mind the new setup either, however, I’ve noticed that my account has switched between new and old randomly the last several weeks. I contacted Flickr the other day to see what was up with the hosting problems the last few weeks, and I was basically told, “Well, you’re using the public preview of the new page, so I can’t help you since we’re only supporting the old page right now. But here’s a link to a group with help/info and here’s info on opting out of the new page during preview.” So I emailed back and explained that the times I’ve posted photos from Flickr, my acct hasn’t been set up as the new page, but it’s switched back and forth between the two constantly. I also asked her if what she was saying was that the hosting problems were directly related to the preview and whether that meant I had to completely opt out in order to not have problems. I haven’t heard back, but went to the group she sent me to and it was closed down. Then I tried to opt out of the page, but that link was gone, and it looks like they’ve officially changed over the site to the new one.

Soooo Flickr folks, be watching your photos like hawks to see if they disappear from Fark or get listed as being swapped out. Hopefully with the official change over the hosting problems will be remedied.

Curious
    Participant

I use Gallery2 http://gallery.menalto.com/ on my server, but I’ve been woefully bad at updating it for the contests. What I need to start doing is rather than posting both sizes in a folder, is have the small one in a contest folder, and the larger one in the gallery and linked.

The big thing you need there is access to a MySQL database, but your host should be able to do that for you.

according to my C/Panel page i have MySQL database thingy. i’ll download gallery and give it a try. thanks.

Curious
    Participant

Gallery is a web based software product that lets you manage your photos on your own website. You must have your own website with PHP and database support in order to install and use it.

oopsy. did my website in MSFrontPage 2000 which was all i had at the time. guess the time has come to do that long awaited overhaul of the site.

olavf
    Participant

That shouldn’t matter so long as the web host supports PHP? That’s the scripting language that Gallery2 (and about half the web) uses. But I don’t know much about FrontPage other than it spits out some funky code and requires hosts that support it for publishing.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

And Flickr’s url for my third entry was deemed unfetchable by Fark numerous times despite being tested in the scratchpad (successfully) prior to the contest 😛

Kestrana
    Participant

My 2nd entry was deemed too large even though I also tested in the scratchpad. I haven’t been having the other problems people have stated they’ve had with the Flickr conversion but if they are doubling the filesizes, then the new 640 option isn’t going to be as exciting as I’d hoped.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Same here. According to their help forums, it’s a feature rather than a bug, because they try to err on the side of low-loss compression for creating the other file sizes from your original in order to maximize image quality. So it looks like I’ll be sticking with uploading my Fark-size originals, and I’m going to have to double and triple check that it’s not changing anything on me and redirecting to the large size like it did to me earlier…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • The topic ‘Flickr problem ?’ is closed to new replies.