Flickr problem ?

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Kestrana
    Participant

:/ I like uploading the large sizes because I don’t want to just use Flickr for hosting, I like the community there too. And because I don’t take all my pictures with farktography in mind, so I don’t know offhand which need to be 640 wide

*le sigh* can’t win

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yeah I know. Early on I just defaulted to Fark size because I started out with the free acct with limited uploading. And also because I didn’t really want to upload a lot of full size stuff that would only end up ganked on the interwebs. So now if I want to link to a bigger one, I upload a separate larger image. Apparently this redesign has made it harder to get individual image url’s to prevent people from posting stuff without their Flickr link back, so that might also be impacted…

Curious
    Participant

That shouldn’t matter so long as the web host supports PHP? That’s the scripting language that Gallery2 (and about half the web) uses. But I don’t know much about FrontPage other than it spits out some funky code and requires hosts that support it for publishing.

my web host supports PHP but in reading the Gallery FAQs it mentioned conflicts with FrontPage. don’t have the details handy but FrontPage doesn’t play well with a lot of stuff. i knew that at the time but a) i had it b) the WYSIWYG part made it easy for what i was doing at the time. i used Image Ready7 for the galleries i have now and while they work they aren’t all that hot.

frankly for the very occasional visitor i get the site is fine but it’s crude and could really do with a make over. right now my farktography and photoshop entries aren’t visible as galleries they are just hosted there but it would be nice if i had them where folks could see them easily.

olavf
    Participant

We need to do massive amounts of work on the front end. Fortunately, since I have a spare server, we’re going to be able to do the development off-line, and roll in changes as we like, and as they work. Gallery will probably remain the back-end because it’s really stable (and to be honest, there a lot (A LOT) of websites that use it. Even for pr0n). For the front end, I started playing with NVU http://net2.com/nvu/ a while back and it seems pretty snappy (and free…w00t!). so we’ll end up with a combination of code somewheres. What I’m not sure on is how to start doctoring the CSS stuff to get me where I want to be, but all in good time…

edit – the NVU version I was playing with was not the version that wants you to host shiat on intuit’s servers.

ennuipoet
    Participant

I posted this in the PSAEF, where the mystery is just being noticed. Here is my answer:

I THINK I’ve cracked this mystery. After searching Flickr’s Forum this is the gist of what goes on:
    Upload Original File at X=Dimensions and Y=File Size
    Flickr sharpens, adds metadata and re-compresses file size to display at Small/Medium/Large and Original Sizes. The X/Y changes because of that extra data and re-compression by Flickr, and because re-compression of a compressed file can INCREASE file size and the added data the huge Kb jump in size. The original file you uploaded should not have changed in any way, BUT only the paid Pro accounts have access to the Original File. Free accounts using the Large size, close to or the same as the X/Dimension are only able to access the Flickr modified file.

I checked this on several files and found the original file size only slightly increased compared the “Large” version of the same file on Flick=HUGE size increase.

Pro Account users Fark optimize your pics for pixels and bytes, link that file from Flickr, it should meet the Fark posting limits.

Yeah…that’s a pain in the tuckus.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The topic ‘Flickr problem ?’ is closed to new replies.