FSM Is Down

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    schnee
    Participant

I have to bring the system into a repair shop. No ETA for it’s return, but I suspect that it will be a few days at least.

Sorry about that. The Boobies for this week will need to delete the reference to the FSM since Fark will be upset if a link is made to a non-existent service.

I’ll let you all know when things come back.

millera9
    Participant

Is it making a loud and continuous tone?

😉

schnee
    Participant

Is it making a loud and continuous tone?

Smartass! 🙂

No, I have a “missing or corrupted hal.dll”. Hopefully an easy fix, but could be a horked harddrive.

staplermofo
    Participant

Oh man, you better hope HAL is just missing.
    You don’t want to start hearing stuff like “Look schnee, I can see you’re really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.

olavf
    Participant

I’m sorry schnee but I just can’t do that.

orionid
    Participant

schnee, it can only be attributable to human error.

schnee
    Participant

FSM is still down, but I’m on the road to recovery. I’m pretty sure the data is intact, but I need to reinstall the DB server and then recover, and then get the application server back on its feet. Unlikely to be back by Wednesday.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Good to know, schnee. Thanks for the update and all your FSM work!

SilverStag
    Participant

…and I went to look at my previous entries, and … nothing. Here’s hoping it’s temporary.

schnee
    Participant

Yeah, about that. I just got a phone call – back ground noise was a very loud fan sound. Physical report of “smoke” (I’m hoping dust). Sigh. Looks like I may need a new computer or two. I’ll know more once I stop “working” and get to the important stuff.

schnee
    Participant

Server needs to go back into the shop – BSoDs, noises that electronic equipment should not make, &c.

On an unrelated topic, can anyone suggest a decent, cheap server? I’m semi-handy mechanically, I could likely build my own.

orionid
    Participant

On an unrelated topic, can anyone suggest a decent, cheap server? I’m semi-handy mechanically, I could likely build my own.

I usta-could. I’ve been out of IT for about eight years now, though. I don’t know if they still do it, but you used to be able to get Dell quad processor units used (refurbed business rental units) for about 30% original cost that were only a year or two behind the latest and greatest.

SilverStag
    Participant

Oh noes!!!!

You can build a quad core for pretty cheap- just go to Fry’s and pick up everything u need in one trip. That’s what I did to build my (ridiculously underutilized) file server.

zeke
    Participant

Couple roads you can go down. As a general rule, building your own is usually pretty cost effective. Fry’s is one option, ordering the parts through NewEgg is another. Either way you can be picky with your parts and get good quality parts. The downside is if this is the first time you’ve built your own (or you don’t have the right spares on the shelf) and you run into a snag, it can be a real pain in the butt figuring out what’s wrong. It’s all a question of how much time and effort you want to put into it. (And yes, quad core procs are soooooooo cheap!)

Dell is a good way to go — their low end servers are usually pretty reasonably priced, and they’ll get there quick. Hit Dell.com and go into the small/medium business area.

If you absolutely positively need it today, BestBuy does actually have some decent prices if you shop carefully. They’ve got a Gateway AMD quad core with 4GB of memory for just over $500. Fry’s also has prebuilt systems too, dont they?

Getting a pre-hosted account with an ISP is also an option, and would have you back on the road in no time.

The real question is… how big of a hurry are you in? If you’re not in a rush and have some time to play and learn and experiment, buy the parts and build your own.

schnee
    Participant

Thanks for the replies everyone. I’m thinking of bifurcating my efforts – a laptop for the COO and building something for me. But I have to get that past the COO first.

I’ll probably just check out Fry’s tomorrow or the next day and see what they have.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The topic ‘FSM Is Down’ is closed to new replies.