Haven’t Seen it in Awhile…

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill Haven’t Seen it in Awhile…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    bucky_bacon
    Participant
    SilverStag
    Participant

I left a nasty comment. That kind of crap pisses me off.

Kestrana
    Participant

I left a comment attributing it to miller and farktography. I tried to use the “incorrect source” button but it wasn’t seeming to work

SilverStag
    Participant

Kes: Note that our comments haven’t shown up yet…..

olavf
    Participant

My comment:
    “I know you think it’s “okay” because it’s funny, and an awesome picture, but I honestly, seriously hope that some day someone makes a lol of your twelve-year-old daughter since you think that blatantly swiping other people’s work off the internet with no consideration is okay.”

orionid
    Participant

I sent an email.

http://pictureisunrelated.memebase.com/2011/07/10/wtf-photos-videos-time-to-cook-some-delicious-food/

This photo is a copywrite work of Miller Truby, and was originally taken for a photography contest requiring Barbie dolls as a subject. The legal terms of that contest state: ?All photographers submitting photos to this contest are the legal copyright holders for the photos submitted and the photos are not to be considered free for any other use without written consent from the submitting photographers.?

Contest thread: http://www.fark.com/comments/2490294/Theme-of-Farktography-Contest-No-85-Barbie-Ken

The original artist?s flickr posting of this photo, including a statement of ?all rights reserved?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/millertruby/328741964/

olavf
    Participant

I like yours better than mine, orionid. I guess the snark was strong in me tonight.

orionid
    Participant

I think I was snarked out after hanging out with Farktographers all day. In the same general timeframe that I sent the email, Kestrana made no less than three sarcastic comments that went right over my head.

Also, IIRC, Millera9 was kind of honored that this went viral when I mentioned it showing up in a chain email, so it was difficult to be too over the top.

Kestrana
    Participant

Our comments have now appeared.

millera9
    Participant

Hey thanks all of you, I really appreciate it. I recently got an email from another one of my friends with this link…

http://www.nuffy.net/funny-pics/offensive-barbie-pics.html

My instinct, like all of yours, is to get pissed about this and demand that they be removed. However I have refrained from doing so because I just don’t see how it does me any good. If they were stealing my gharial shot from the reptiles contest or my waterfall shot that won the BW2 contest it would be a different story because I can see how those shots might be marketable for me as a photographer. The barbie shots, though, were taken for fun and I really can’t see myself being able to do anything with them that might involve a profit. Yes, it sucks that other people are figuring out how to profit from my twisted mind, but that’s how viral media works unfortunately. It isn’t like I could demand that they cut me a check…

Is that the wrong point of view? Am I not doing enough? Should I take a hard stance here just on principal? I’d like to know what you all think…

Again, thanks for defending my honor! I am genuinely touched. 🙂

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Is that the wrong point of view? Am I not doing enough? Should I take a hard stance here just on principal? I’d like to know what you all think…

I think that’s completely up to you, but if it was me, I’d be more than a little annoyed that they never asked for permission to use the photo. So far, I’ve allowed anybody who takes the time to ask to use my photos for free, so long as they’re not using them for commercial means. I’d just ask them to attribute the photo correctly and to please ask before blatantly stealing somebody else’s work.

Yugoboy
    Participant

All I’d be asking for is credit to be given.

I recently had a reason to try to find my own Flickr account (don’t ask) and found that one of my photoshops for a non-Fark site was in someone else’s photostream. Given that my name was associated with it, I didn’t say anything… probably should have left a comment feeling honored…

Again, if you don’t have a profit motive reason for demanding they take it down, msg ’em and ask that credit be given. Maybe even ask for a link to direct appreciators to a site of your choosing so you can maybe get clients or something.

FWIW – I hadn’t paid attention to that contest, and I’m not familiar with you, millera9, but that’s how I’d handle it.

Kestrana
    Participant

It’s not about profit to me either simply about the fact that so much on the internet goes uncredited and it’s not fair that we excuse this medium from responsibility when we require it and punish plagiarism harshly in most other forms of print and broadcast media. To me it’s just a slippery slope of letting some things go now means we can’t get credit when we really want it later. But yeah I would’t necessarily make them take it down, just credit me.

Edit: Now I kinda want to do another Barbie theme

Yugoboy
    Participant

Edit: Now I kinda want to do another Barbie theme

Should I start trolling the garage sales?

millera9
    Participant

I just checked the link that bucky_bacon posted again and it now has an attribution under the photo to my flickr page. So I guess score one for the internet working like it is supposed to? Again, thanks to all of you for jumping to my defense here. This still strikes me as a hard issue, specifically because those photos were made with the intent of making random strangers laugh over the internet. I feel like I have accomplished that goal, even though most of the random strangers who see it now days don’t know that it was me who made it. Maybe that’s a good thing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The topic ‘Haven’t Seen it in Awhile…’ is closed to new replies.