Hurricane Photos

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    ennuipoet
    Participant

So, who amongst us East Coaster Farktographers will be foolish enough to go out and try for some hurricane shots?

I will admit to pondering wrapping a film camera in plastic and going for it. I don’t think I want to risk my DSLRs 😛

Kestrana
    Participant

Depends on what actually happens. The house we’re at has a really wide southern walking porch so if it’s just lightning and rain we might be able to get some shots without risk to life and limb. If wind speeds peak above 60 mph though, I think I’d like to stay inside.

Apparently it doesn’t take much for the Rappahannock to overflow it’s banks here but the river is very, very low right now. Abundant trees and farm structures in the area though that could succumb to wind damage. And both orionid and I have 1 hr+ commutes. I’ve already wished I had my camera for all the lovely sunrise picture opportunities i’ve had; if it winds up being severe I may take it with me Monday (assuming I can actually go to work Monday).

Kestrana
    Participant

Progressive did send me a nice email reminder that my car is covered for hurricane damage so worst case scenario if I break my camera is just put it in the car and wreck that too.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I’ve got a rider on my homeowners that covers all of my camera equipment against pretty much anything, including on foreign land. It’s relatively cheap compared to replacement costs ($100 a year for $7K coverage, I think).

Good luck with the hurricane all you east-coasters. Having been through one (I lived in Raleigh in ’96 for Fran), I can most assuredly say that I’ll take my tornados over a hurricane any day. Tornados come and go within 20 minutes as opposed to constantly beating on you for 8+ hours and they aren’t as wide as a freaking state.

sleeping
    Participant

My apartment building is U shaped, so I might be able to get some shots from the front door without too much wind exposure, but the view from there isn’t anything special. My lightning trigger has arrived though, so I may get to test it some…

Yugoboy
    Participant

We’re projected to get some clouds on Sunday or Monday. There may even be some rain if the track shifts too far west.

*smirk*

ennuipoet
    Participant

We’re projected to get some clouds on Sunday or Monday. There may even be some rain if the track shifts too far west.

*smirk*

Yeah…well…enjoy your snow this Winter!
    😆

nobigdeal
    Participant

I doubt I will venture out mid storm. I’m not that young and stupid anymore. Definitely will be out looking for some destruction shots afterwards though!

kashari
    Participant

My apartment building is U shaped, so I might be able to get some shots from the front door without too much wind exposure, but the view from there isn’t anything special. My lightning trigger has arrived though, so I may get to test it some…

Huh, I never knew there was such a thing as a lightning trigger, pretty cool! I’m scared to death of lightning, especially after there was a strike about 50 feet from my house last week! I almost fell off the couch when I heard it hit, scary!

I just looked one up on Google, but didn’t read all the info after I saw the ‘out of my range’ price. I saw a cable release mentioned, so does that mean you still have to sit with your camera or can you set it up somewhere and it will shoot away while you go hide in the car?

Everyone in the path of the hurricane, stay safe!

sleeping
    Participant

I found a (relatively) cheap one. It goes into the hotshoe (just as a place to put it, basically), and connects to the cable release socket to trigger the camera when it sees a bright flash.

I wouldn’t want to leave a camera on it unattended out in a storm though…

kashari
    Participant

I found a (relatively) cheap one. It goes into the hotshoe (just as a place to put it, basically), and connects to the cable release socket to trigger the camera when it sees a bright flash.

I wouldn’t want to leave a camera on it unattended out in a storm though…

Oh, that is a lot better price, the one I looked at was $329. Did you get the sound trigger too, that sounds pretty neato for $50 more, even though I can’t think what I’d use it for off-hand. 😆

sleeping
    Participant

Did you get the sound trigger too, that sounds pretty neato for $50 more, even though I can’t think what I’d use it for off-hand. 😆

This?

or maybe this?

Farktographer
    Participant

Damn this beautiful San Diego weather! Damn it to hell! Why can’t I get a hurricane over here for some fun? 😉

Did you get the sound trigger too, that sounds pretty neato for $50 more, even though I can’t think what I’d use it for off-hand. 😆

This?

or maybe this?

Wait, THAT’S how people capture those shots? It snaps the shutter as soon as it hears a sound, even if it’s a drop of water?

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Damn this beautiful San Diego weather! Damn it to hell! Why can’t I get a hurricane over here for some fun? 😉

Yeah, you’re breaking my heart, man. 😛

We have an office in SD and I’ve been there several times. I don’t think I could live there and be productive (unless I won the lottery and retired, anyway); almost every day is the perfect weather for a cycle ride, the kind we get for a couple of weeks in the spring and fall here.

sleeping
    Participant

Wait, THAT’S how people capture those shots? It snaps the shutter as soon as it hears a sound, even if it’s a drop of water?

Not quite – it’s a flash trigger not a camera trigger (flash is much faster). A motion trigger is actually better for water droplets, I had to drop a strawful of water to trigger the flash, not a single drop.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • The topic ‘Hurricane Photos’ is closed to new replies.