I am annoyed

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    SilverStag
    Participant

Every photo I tried for this week’s contest came back 403-Forbidden in scratchpad-

AFTER I HAD ALREADY RESIZED THEM AND REDUCED THE QUALITY to what i considered were already unacceptable levels.

WHEN IS FARK GOING TO MOVE TO 21st CENTURY FILE SIZE EXPECTATIONS?

I am completely frustrated with doing the work over and over and getting rejected by an inane, outdated system.

I quit.

Kestrana
    Participant

🙁

ravnostic
    Participant

But, really, dahlink, tell us how you REALLY feel?

/sorry, I do feel your pain.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Are you using Flickr? Because if you are, and have a Pro account, use the Original photo not the “Large” size on Flickr, they pad the file with a ton of useless crap, ballooning the size.

olavf
    Participant

That sucks ‘stag.

orionid
    Participant

We’ll never let you go.

SilverStag
    Participant

This is supposed to be fun, and hopefully easy.

Being reduced to inchoate rage by arbitrary and stupid restrictions is *not* fun.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Are you using Flickr? Because if you are, and have a Pro account, use the Original photo not the “Large” size on Flickr, they pad the file with a ton of useless crap, ballooning the size.

This.

I typically only upload 640 pixel files and use the original, and unless I accidentally grab the large or medium by mistake (it defaults to medium), I haven’t had problems the last couple weeks. They re-compress and re-sharpen the smaller sizes, which bulks up the file size.

It does suck to be limited on the file size, but if everyone posted 180k-200k images every week, the thread would be as slow as molasses to load. It often gets bogged down for me by late Thurs as it is.

ravnostic
    Participant

Have you tried the irfanview ‘save for web’ plugin? It’s been a godsend for me, insofar as retaining some quality whilst reducing the size. I even use it for the ‘bigguns’ versions, though I don’t reduce the quality any; I just get the files to under a meg.

And if not, have you considered valium? You might not get things right, but then you won’t care, either.

kashari
    Participant

I had problems with one of mine today too and it was only 150kb at 640w.

Also, I’d asked before about how some people are able to post larger pics at 1024, but I don’t remember what thread it was in now. I tried a couple of times since then to post ones that were a bit bigger, like 900 (120kb) and still got the ‘image too large’ error. What am I doing wrong?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

You can post up to 1100 pixels tall, but only up to 640 wide. The thing about the file size limit is that it’s fuzzy. 200k is the stated limit, but frequently pictures fail if they’re 150k-180k. It’s safest to keep them under 130k. I frequently aim for less than 100k myself.

kashari
    Participant

You can post up to 1100 pixels tall, but only up to 640 wide. The thing about the file size limit is that it’s fuzzy. 200k is the stated limit, but frequently pictures fail if they’re 150k-180k. It’s safest to keep them under 130k. I frequently aim for less than 100k myself.

Ok, thanks Elsinore! I don’t remember what the width was when I tried to post, but I’ll watch for that and the total size next time.

soosh
    Participant

I’d be happy to help anybody that is having trouble getting files to a small enough size to work on fark. Also, for any farktographers that want webspace for contests, drop me a line and I’ll be happy to help. I’ve thought about making a gallery like the one at sacredartichoke.com for farktographers to use, as the gallery that I use, Coppermine, automatically makes a smaller size when you upload any large one, and that smaller size is always perfect for fark. With a little prodding, I could probably be persuaded.

soosh
    Participant

oh, email is arbitrary.squid at gmail

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The topic ‘I am annoyed’ is closed to new replies.