I believe I got an upgrade

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill I believe I got an upgrade

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    CauseISaidSo
    Participant

*do* get UV filters for your lenses. If anything, they will help keep them from getting scratched, and I’ve heard of at least one instance where it saved the lens from being broken.

And as Rav said, play with the DPP (Digital Photo Professional) software that came with it. Shoot RAW, too.

First, congratulations! I’ve only had my DSLR for 3 years now, so the difference it made in my photos and the learning curve that came with it are both still fairly fresh in my mind.

As olav said, get UV filters. They’re cheap insurance. But at the same time, don’t go too cheap on them – no point in having decent glass if it’s being filtered through poor glass.

And as rav said and olavf reinforced, shoot in RAW. That was the mistake I made for the first few months. Even if you don’t learn to use DPP now, you’ll be glad later that you have RAW images if you ever want to edit any of them. The difference in what you can bring out with RAW vs JPEG is pretty vast.

I shoot in both RAW & JPEG so that I can immediately preview pics but have the better post-processing option should I want to do that. Of course it takes quite a bit more space on your memory card and limits the number of continuous shots you can take, so that’s the trade-off. If you must choose, until you’re confident that every shot will turn out perfect (let me know when that happens, ’cause I can’t see it happening for me!), choose RAW.

ravnostic
    Participant

but have decided that 4GB cards are large enough.

I agree. In fact, with the xTi, 8 Gigs is the limit (I learned that the hard way after buying a 16 gig; even if formated to 8 gigs it would freeze up the camera.)

LeicaLens
    Participant

I second ravnostic‘s advice on the spare battery (and flash using up battery). Also, shooting using live view instead of the viewfinder also uses up the batteries fast on my camera.

On a different note, I love how the marketing chappies at Canon came up with different names for the the same camera for the US and Japanese markets:
    “Right, Japan. Let’s go cute, let’s go cuddly, let’s go Gene Simmons, let’s go KISS!!!”
    “America? Let’s go wild, let’s go Mavericky, let’s go James Dean, let’s go REBEL!!!!”

olavf
    Participant

I didn’t want to mention the second battery on top of everything else, but that’s never a bad idea. Kat and I each have one, so there are four between the two of us 😛

causeIsaidso I did both RAW and JPG for a while, but I found it redundant. I never used the jpegs once I got comfortable with the RAW files. I do my previewing in DPP any more (the thumbnails tend to give me an idea) but there’s also a windows plugin for XP, and if you have Vista or Seven you just need the codecs to view them in the preview panes if that’s your preference…

ravnostic
    Participant

causeIsaidso I did both RAW and JPG for a while, but I found it redundant. I never used the jpegs once I got comfortable with the RAW files. I do my previewing in DPP any more (the thumbnails tend to give me an idea) but there’s also a windows plugin for XP, and if you have Vista or Seven you just need the codecs to view them in the preview panes if that’s your preference…

Is there a way to eliminate the JPG save when shooting in RAW? I haven’t found it, but I could eek out a couple more images, if so. It’s so easy to convert to JPG after processing (or not processing, when it’s right), I’d love to save the space on the CF…

olavf
    Participant

Is there a way to eliminate the JPG save when shooting in RAW? I haven’t found it, but I could eek out a couple more images, if so. It’s so easy to convert to JPG after processing (or not processing, when it’s right), I’d love to save the space on the CF…

I honestly can’t say for sure on the Rebels, but with the 20D and the 40D, the menu options are JPG, RAW+JPG, or RAW. I’d suspect the Rebels are the same way.

I know that doesn’t work on the ‘green square’ or any of the PP modes though. You have to go P or Tv or any of the other partial-to-full manual settings.

clouddancer
    Participant

Got a 4 GB card today while I was out. Already planned on having a second battery, but haven’t looked up price or where to get it. Also haven’t looked through much of the manual yet. The Chancellor has been rather demanding the last couple of days in terms of being held a LOT, so either something’s up physically, or he’s just going through a developmental phase.

I’m going to have to get another hard drive to store all these pictures now though. I have dual 250s raided, but even then I only have 79 GB free, so I will have to take that into consideration.

With the P&S, I used the LCD a lot to line up shots. Any suggestions to not use it but also to not have that squinting all the time? If I have both eyes open focusing through the view finder just doesn’t work.

Rav: Curse you for mentioning that cake! I might just use the shots I already have for the desserts contest. However, I’ve been requested to make pumpkin pie, and while I was out I got brownie mix, cake mix (and frosting), and more chocolate chips, so we’ll see how the next two or three days work out in terms of baked goods to photograph. That blueberry cake was a LOT of work and I’m not really up for making it again. Okay, okay, and I couldn’t find any blueberries at the store. Besides, I’m on dish detail specifically for a while anyway. 🙂 Gotta “work off” that camera some how.

ravnostic
    Participant

fry’s electronics can get you a Tb for under $100. I thought mine would last forever. I’m 1/8th full (I could delete a whole ton of she-at, but that takes time, too.

And, look; I’m $50 deep in twinkies, ding dongs, suzy Qs, Zingers, etc. So one little blueberry cake isn’t much to ask, is it?

lokisbong
    Participant

I just got a new canon brand battery for mine from Adorama for 40 bucks last week. I also bought a Propower brand battery for 40 bucks at a camera shop a month or 2 ago because the store wanted 80 bucks for the cannon brand one. I like the long exposures so I figured 3 batteries is a good thing. I know it will shoot in raw only or jpeg only or the combo. I am shooting in fine jpeg because I don’t have the hard-drive space for Raw right now. as soon as I get moved and get a job I plan on a tb drive. congrats again and have fun.

ravnostic
    Participant

I’ll be derned. I can shoot in just RAW. Honestly, I once set it, then fergetted it.

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

clouddancer, what the? You were supposed to be jealous of me, not the other way round 😉 No fair, I haven’t even laid my grubby paws on Curious‘ old Minolta yet, and you’re already playing with yours 😥

In all seriousness, I am very glad for you. Happy shooting!

And, look; I’m $50 deep in twinkies, ding dongs, suzy Qs, Zingers, etc.

That’s a whole lot of chemical preservatives right there. Blech!

Curious
    Participant

I just got a new canon brand battery for mine from Adorama for 40 bucks last week. I also bought a Propower brand battery for 40 bucks at a camera shop a month or 2 ago because the store wanted 80 bucks for the cannon brand one.

i bought a Opteka battery for the D3000 from amazon but shipped by adorama 47th st photo for $13. it had good reviews on amazon and seems to work fine. it was 1/3 of buying nikon from amazon.

my boss bought a 1.5GB toshiba external and couldn’t use it. he sold it to me for what he paid …$40. beat that suckers 🙂

Curious
    Participant

clouddancer, what the? You were supposed to be jealous of me, not the other way round 😉 No fair, I haven’t even laid my grubby paws on Curious‘ old Minolta yet, and you’re already playing with yours 😥

In all seriousness, I am very glad for you. Happy shooting!

i took the D3000 to the nature center swamp walk place today and shot 263 images in an hour+. it’s nice but the exposure meter doesn’t deal well with bright sun and deep shadows. i’ll need to learn how to compensate for that. unfortunately the EV+/- is menu driven unlike the 7D which has a convenient knob.

zincprincess
    Participant

i took the D3000 to the nature center swamp walk place today and shot 263 images in an hour+. it’s nice but the exposure meter doesn’t deal well with bright sun and deep shadows. i’ll need to learn how to compensate for that. unfortunately the EV+/- is menu driven unlike the 7D which has a convenient knob.

Have you messed around with the Active-D lighting feature? I haven’t had an opportunity to play with it much but it should help with the shadows.

Curious
    Participant

Have you messed around with the Active-D lighting feature? I haven’t had an opportunity to play with it much but it should help with the shadows.

no. and so far i haven’t even looked into what Active-D lighting is. the camera has it but i’ve been concentrating on those features i know how to use.

but i will get the manual out soon and check it out.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • The topic ‘I believe I got an upgrade’ is closed to new replies.