I believe I got an upgrade

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill I believe I got an upgrade

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    sleeping
    Participant

unfortunately the EV+/- is menu driven unlike the 7D which has a convenient knob.

It should also work with the +/- compensation button & command dial, assuming it’s like most other nikons

Lovesandwich
    Participant

Nice present! Grats!

Curious
    Participant

unfortunately the EV+/- is menu driven unlike the 7D which has a convenient knob.

It should also work with the +/- compensation button & command dial, assuming it’s like most other nikons

i’ll look into that also. thanks.

kashari
    Participant

Have you messed around with the Active-D lighting feature? I haven’t had an opportunity to play with it much but it should help with the shadows.

no. and so far i haven’t even looked into what Active-D lighting is. the camera has it but i’ve been concentrating on those features i know how to use.

but i will get the manual out soon and check it out.

You can also use the D-Lighting feature in Capture NX2. I prefer that over doing it in-camera since you can do fine adjustments, opacity changes, etc..

Curious
    Participant

You can also use the D-Lighting feature in Capture NX2. I prefer that over doing it in-camera since you can do fine adjustments, opacity changes, etc..

a bit of googling tells me that costs money. and the NEF codex just let’s you see the photo from RAW. and i have PS7 which won’t work either.

i may shoot some NEF/jpeg to check write times and play with the NEF is i can find something free to use. more googling finds a site that explains how to use the Gimp with NEF. guess i’ll try that.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

a bit of googling tells me that costs money. and the NEF codex just let’s you see the photo from RAW. and i have PS7 which won’t work either.

i may shoot some NEF/jpeg to check write times and play with the NEF is i can find something free to use. more googling finds a site that explains how to use the Gimp with NEF. guess i’ll try that.

The ufraw package is free, runs on every platform, and can read just about any native camera RAW format. So you can install that and use it as a bridge to convert RAW files from any software into a format PS7 (or other mangling software) can read. Here’s a link to the page where you can get ufraw.

http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/Install.html

Curious
    Participant

The ufraw package is free, runs on every platform, and can read just about any native camera RAW format. So you can install that and use it as a bridge to convert RAW files from any software into a format PS7 (or other mangling software) can read. Here’s a link to the page where you can get ufraw.

http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/Install.html

that’s what the Gimp tutorial i found was saying. thanks.

got a lot to do today including scanning stuff for tonight but will shoot some NEF this weekend and play with it.

clouddancer
    Participant

clouddancer, what the? You were supposed to be jealous of me, not the other way round 😉 No fair, I haven’t even laid my grubby paws on Curious‘ old Minolta yet, and you’re already playing with yours 😥

In all seriousness, I am very glad for you. Happy shooting!

Sorry, Zero. It’s just so weird how it worked out. I’ve taken around 700 pictures so far. Learned how to adjust the F/stop, the shutter speed, the clarity in looking through the view finder, even found out (with the shutter speed) how to get to long term exposure and what options there are for that.

I’ve uploaded new pictures to my albums on Facebook, so if anyone wants to friend me there and look at them, that’s fine. Mostly I’ve gone shot happy with Chancellor, Atrus is less cooperative and likes to be right up close until he decides he doesn’t want any more pictures. Haven’t done any outside shooting yet, but it has also rained the last couple of days. Maybe today. Some time ago I got a two-sided floor puzzle for Atrus that turned out perfectly themed for the Fish contest, and I might do those again seeing as he’s home today from Day Care since Daddy and Uncle Will have a math test tonight and can’t have him there because they would have to pick him up beforehand and if I go pick him up I’ll be really late for work, so he’s home with me today.

kashari
    Participant

ViewNX 2 has been released and it’s free, it has a lot of adjustment capabilities built in and has added video editing also. But I don’t remember if it has D-Lighting adjustments in it.

Curious
    Participant

just tried it and it does. and it’s about the same time wise as using the knob.

thanks again.

the more i mess with this the more i need to mess with it. or read the manual 🙂

haven’t looked into D-lighting yet but will this weekend.

Curious
    Participant

i took the D3000 to the nature center swamp walk place today and shot 263 images in an hour+. it’s nice but the exposure meter doesn’t deal well with bright sun and deep shadows. i’ll need to learn how to compensate for that. unfortunately the EV+/- is menu driven unlike the 7D which has a convenient knob.

Have you messed around with the Active-D lighting feature? I haven’t had an opportunity to play with it much but it should help with the shadows.

went out in the front yard this morning and shot a bunch of tests with and without the Active-D lighting. the manual says it will balance the light/dark ares better and it seems to. some shots were so contrasty light/dark that the help was minimal but overall it is a plus. and easy to set for those occasions where you need it.

i also shot some NEF/RAW and NEF/RAW + jpeg. cut my card storage in half. the nikon ViewNX will handle the NEF/RAW fine as far as viewing the images. windows wizard just disregards them and imports the jpegs.

also downloaded the UFRaw plugin for the Gimp and sometime in this life time i may learn how to use it 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • The topic ‘I believe I got an upgrade’ is closed to new replies.