Max Image Size Changes

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill Max Image Size Changes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Just wanted to let everyone know that I got word that Fark is doing some site changes, and some of these will affect the maximum allowable image dimensions. At least for the short term, the max size is going to change to 640 pixels wide by 1100 pixels tall. It could revert back to the old 700×1200 at some point, but at least for now, it will be 640×1100. The changes probably won’t hit for another week or two, but I wanted to give ya’ll the head’s up.

staplermofo
    Participant

@#$%!!!!

monkeybort
    Participant

dirty little bastards, now i’ve got to re-do my farktography actions.

staplermofo
    Participant

Hey, people in the know, how plausible is it he c/would disable the limit for farktography contests, like all images are disabled for boobies links?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yeah, I save almost all my pictures off at 700 max width just for Farktography. I *think* if you happen to post a 700 width one with the new limits, the site may resize it for you–seems like there was something said about auto-resize. I’ll have to check my email again.

I’m not sure they’re going to be able to disable it for Farktography or PS for that matter. Something’s changing with column widths, so it’s probably pretty set in stone.

Analogy
    Participant

For the last contest I used an older photo that was already in my Picasa account, and Picasa will only resize to 144, 288, 400 or 800 pixels wide when you hotlink to it, so I used the 800 pixel version and manually added “width=700” to the image tag when I posted it. No problems. Well, except for the picture looking like crap due to browser resizing.

monkeybort
    Participant

Fark resizes when you post, too. i used to resize my stuff to 720 and it would scale it to 700 for me.

schnee
    Participant

No problems. Well, except for the picture looking like crap due to browser resizing.

bingo.

/not yours in particular, that is…

Analogy
    Participant

You know, browser resizing looking terrible has been an issue as long as web browsers have been around… I just realized, why do none of the browsers implement some kind of nicer-looking resampling in this age of multi-gigahertz, multi-core processors? Doesn’t have to be bicubic resampling, it just has to look better than it does right now.

Curious
    Participant

well i went up to 700 for farktography at one point and overall it would be simpler to just use 640 for everything. i use 640 for most images sent in email.

what i’m really wondering about is what will happen to the images in older contests. if i link an older contest next month will whomever opens the link get a resized contest thread? this should be interesting.

see old chinese proverb re living in interesting times.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I was told it will apply to previous threads as well, so yeah, it will probably all be auto-resized with all the attendant consequences…

Curious
    Participant

out of curiosity i looked at “photoshop this magnet” near the top of the main page now and 16 of 48 images are 700 pixels wide. several more are over 640.

the contests in the queue only run through the april 25th. wonder if that’s why and if so when the word will spread to the photoshop folks.

Elsinore if there is a polite way to do it could you ask Drew or Mike when an announcement will be made to the photoshoppers. there’s a little unrest in the PSAEF already about some other changes. i suspect they would appreciate a heads up before their images get auto resized.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yep, I’ll do that.

Curious
    Participant

thanks

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Dunno if it’s been formally announced in the PSAE forum, but it was mentioned by Mike in the TF Forum earlier. Also, big changes in store–see the TF Forum if you’re TF for a link.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • The topic ‘Max Image Size Changes’ is closed to new replies.