Meet Up

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    zincprincess
    Participant

I think I told everyone at work today the story about that photographer. “So get this guys, professional wedding photographer has the lowest of low end Canon dslrs and an 18-55 lens on it. And that was all she had. And then the bride asked orionid to take some vintage photos with his landcam and the photographer insisted he email her and not the bride…”

Please tell me you are going to email the pics to the bride and NOT the photographer.

Around here all the bored housewives get a DSLR, a few bridal magazines and call themselves wedding photographers. Not that there’s anything wrong with a bored housewife (or househusband) creating a new career. However, most of us only get married (to the same person) once so it’s not like you get do-overs.

olavf
    Participant

*facepalm*

soosh
    Participant

Around here all the bored housewives get a DSLR, a few bridal magazines and call themselves wedding photographers.

around here, too. and never take the camera off the green square setting.

Orionid, how many 620 spools would you want? I’ve got a bunch of old 620 cameras that are never going to see film go through them again, and I’m willing to bet there are spools in most of them.

ennuipoet
    Participant

I didn’t hear her very much, but she actually did seem to know what she was doing. She was marching them around and posing them like any other pro I’ve seen, she was just using some really low end gear. I know it is the photographer not the camera that makes the photo, but seriously…an EFS 18-55?

orionid
    Participant

Please tell me you are going to email the pics to the bride and NOT the photographer.

I tried. I had just started changing a roll when she asked and I said “Sure, just give me a few minutes to change out the roll.” So they went about their merry way taking more shots while I finished up, and when I caught up with them the bride had just started to go into “We really need to hurry up” mode, and the photographer gave me her card to make things easy.

I’m generally not too keen on watermarking or copywrite stamping my shots, but I really have an urge to do so on these. We’ll see how they turn out.

Around here all the bored housewives get a DSLR, a few bridal magazines and call themselves wedding photographers.

/Facepalm.

how many 620 spools would you want? I’ve got a bunch of old 620 cameras that are never going to see film go through them again, and I’m willing to bet there are spools in most of them.

That would be awesome! Four or six would be plenty, what would you want in exchange?

soosh
    Participant

I tried. I had just started changing a roll when she asked and I said “Sure, just give me a few minutes to change out the roll.” So they went about their merry way taking more shots while I finished up, and when I caught up with them the bride had just started to go into “We really need to hurry up” mode, and the photographer gave me her card to make things easy.

I’m generally not too keen on watermarking or copywrite stamping my shots, but I really have an urge to do so on these. We’ll see how they turn out.

/Facepalm.

how many 620 spools would you want? I’ve got a bunch of old 620 cameras that are never going to see film go through them again, and I’m willing to bet there are spools in most of them.

That would be awesome! Four or six would be plenty, what would you want in exchange?

well let me see what I can scare up.

orionid
    Participant
    ennuipoet
    Participant

Oh. “Photographer / Producer / Dancer / Actor…..” Kit Lens

Uh, ok, let me see, trying to be nice…some of her compositions were interesting, and she knows how to pose her subjects.

The colors were flat, the lighting almost universally bad, the kit lens shows up in a lot of photos (Hey, I LIKE lens flare, but seriously) most of the models were simply lifeless in their representation and much of the subject matter rather cliche.

I’m not a master photographer and I’ve more to learn than I can think of, but if she is getting paid for her work, I really need to rethink my concept that the competition in NYC is to tough.

Kestrana
    Participant

Hahaha…yikes I’m scared to have you review my photography now.

bucky_bacon
    Participant

FWIW I have shot some weddings with my pretty below-average gear and the clients have always been pleased with the results. Sure, I notice that there could have been less noise or better light or a sharper focus, but we are more critical of each other as photographers and can struggle to look at it from the non-photographer perspective. It’s all in how you handle it. I don’t pretend to be hot-shot photographer guy just because I have a dslr. While I do believe that my work is better than that of most local “pro” photogs (and that my farktography efforts aren’t indicative of my best stuff), I only shoot what I want to. I’m more “pic of a fence post” guy than “serious bleeding heart model” photographer, and nobody wants to pay for that. But that doesn’t mean that I couldn’t do it.

Wow… sorry to continue derailing this thread – and apparently making it about me – I definitely wasn’t there to see this lady, but just saying that I won’t discount someone because of their gear. Unless she was using the pop-up flash. That’s totally lame.

/I also dislike her website.

chupathingie
    Participant

Uh-uh… THAT’s the critic you want. 😉 But then, I’m a technician, not a photographer; some clown playing with a camera.

Bucky, I hear ya on the pop-up flash… A friend of mine was wedded a few months back, and as they had a few friends who were amateur photographers, they didn’t go the route of hiring one. As a result we had 3 folks with decent gear and a love for capturing images roving around the ceremony and the wake. They were very happy with all the pictures. Multiple styles, various lighting (the most involved the lighting got was hot-shoe with a large diffuser). I shot all night with ambient. Lots of kinetic action on the dance floor, and IMHO nice, warm color for the ceremony. I hafta say I love being able to shoot auto at 6400.

Moral of the story: Open bar for the camera geeks.

ennuipoet
    Participant

I already have, you’ve vibrant warm colors, nice composition and compelling subject matter. You take real joy in the doing and it shows in the results!

I dunno, I had no real feeling one way or the other about Kit Lens until I saw her photography. I just didn’t see a lot of life in her photography, it seemed a little formulaic.

But, hey, I’m just a Vet Tech with shiny toy 🙂

Kestrana
    Participant

Teehee thanks. And we’re all photographers with day jobs 😛

Kestrana
    Participant

Strawberry Fields Forever by kestrana, on Flickr

This is the picture I was taking, in ennuipoet’s picture.

Curious
    Participant

Oh. “Photographer / Producer / Dancer / Actor…..” Kit Lens

Uh, ok, let me see, trying to be nice…some of her compositions were interesting, and she knows how to pose her subjects.

The colors were flat, the lighting almost universally bad, the kit lens shows up in a lot of photos (Hey, I LIKE lens flare, but seriously) most of the models were simply lifeless in their representation and much of the subject matter rather cliche.

I’m not a master photographer and I’ve more to learn than I can think of, but if she is getting paid for her work, I really need to rethink my concept that the competition in NYC is to tough.

i won’t be nice. for a “pro” that was [strike]crap[/strike] pretty bad. only looked at two galleries. the jewelry gallery (which did nothing to highlight and/or sell the jewelry) and had some bad lens flare. and by bad i mean it totally detracted from the jewelry. the ceramics gallery (which again did nothing to show it to it’s best potential) was a studio setup with bad lighting. how do you do that? i do better with my $25 “studio”. well not all the time but still.

and FWIW and IMO the home page is god awful.

but i too am not a pro and have never done a wedding or any commercial photography. i know my limits and while i have shot events for friends and brochure shots for work it was always gratis. and the brochure stuff was as a backup.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • The topic ‘Meet Up’ is closed to new replies.