n00bs with cameras

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    EdenLiesObscured
    Participant

I was at the Indy MotoGP, behind the barrier with other spectators. Found a turn that offered, briefly, an unobstructed view…if a bit distant, about 50 feet away from the bikes. Sunny, cloudless day; bikes came through the turn at about 70mph. Nuzzled my way into a group of other photographers. With each bike, bursts of light come from my right. A guy with a D7000 and a 200mm lens is shooting in burst mode, using the in-camera flash.

When I asked him why the flash, he stared at me as if I were the n00b (which, coincidentally, often I feel like).

So I turned my hat gangsta-style to block the strobe and ignored him. 30 minutes later, and who knows how many hundreds of shots, his battery dies.

orionid
    Participant

Should have “accidentally” put your monopod on his toes. I learned that trick from talking shop with a washington post reporter years ago.

ennuipoet
    Participant

I’m trying to be charitable and think of ANY reason for using the OCF as a Fill Light, but I just can’t. A few weeks ago I was down on the East River shooting some night shots of the skyline as the Sun set. I’m a tripod, shooting long exposure well away from anyone else. Suddenly, these three girls show up with their PnS and start popping flashes. I stopped for a minute to let them do their thing then lean forward and hit my shutter and they start shooting again. I turn and politely ask them not to do that because their flash interferes with my shot. One of the girls says “Oh, well we thought that we would take our pictures when you took yours so we could get the same shot, it’s really pretty.”

Seriously.

I explained that every time their camera flashed that light went into my lens also and I didn’t want their light.

“Oh, we didn’t know it did that”

They were nice about it and I tried really hard not to be a dick. Truth be told their flash wasn’t even noticeable in the shot, but there is a principle involved. Secondly, WTF, you wanted my shots? Really, would you walk up to a musician, lean over their shoulder and start copying their musical notation because the song was really pretty and you wanted to play it too?

Yoyo
    Participant

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Yugoboy
    Participant

I’m trying to be charitable and think of ANY reason for using the OCF as a Fill Light, but I just can’t.

I’ve got one: earlier this summer I was at the rededication ceremony for the Wesleyan Chapel in Seneca Falls. The ceremony was held under a tent with bright summer light behind the speakers. I was shooting like crazy, but the first few shots were improperly exposed. Turned on the flash, jacked up the brightness, and voila! Exposures came out perfect.
    I did not have any other flash, and proper exposure for faces would have made the background look like the ceremony was being held on Mercury.

Secondly, WTF, you wanted my shots? Really, would you walk up to a musician, lean over their shoulder and start copying their musical notation because the song was really pretty and you wanted to play it too?

This happens in places with high tourist traffic. I’m assuming NYC is one of those places. I’ve yet to have it happen here in Western NY (low tourist traffic) but it happened ALL THE TIME in Italy. I don’t say anything, and try not to be smug, but I KNOW my shots are going to be better than theirs…

Still can’t figure out why the guy at the motocross would use a fill flash, though.

caradoc
    Participant

Still can’t figure out why the guy at the motocross would use a fill flash, though.

A couple of months ago, I was out shooting with a D7000 (same make as mentioned) and got the silly comment, “Only a n00b shoots with on-camera flash.”

I pointed out the three SB-800s on lightstands at distances in the location. I was using the pop-up to control those, while the pop-up was configured to “–“, or “don’t contribute to the image, just fire the remotes.”

What you think you see may or may not be what’s really going on.

staplermofo
    Participant

Keep your old prescription bottles, fill them with capsules full of sugar or whey protein or whatever (purebulk.com is awesome), keep it in your camera bag.

Then, when someone hassles you, start muttering to yourself, look them in the eye for a bit like you don’t think they can see or hear you, keep muttering, pour some pills into your mouth straight from the bottle, chew, exhale some sugar/whey/whatever in an angry sigh, cough, have something to drink, then get back to photographing while muttering.

You’ll have saved yourself a conversation and gotten a bit of nutrition too.
    They also make caffeine snuff now, if you think snorting something would work better in your area.

EdenLiesObscured
    Participant

What you think you see may or may not be what’s really going on.

While that advice is definitely true, in my situation, at the race track, there was no way for him to have off-camera flash(es) set up.

EdenLiesObscured
    Participant

Keep your old prescription bottles, fill them with capsules full of sugar or whey protein or whatever (purebulk.com is awesome), keep it in your camera bag.

Then, when someone hassles you, start muttering to yourself, look them in the eye for a bit like you don’t think they can see or hear you, keep muttering, pour some pills into your mouth straight from the bottle, chew, exhale some sugar/whey/whatever in an angry sigh, cough, have something to drink, then get back to photographing while muttering.

They also make caffeine snuff now, if you think snorting something would work better in your area.

I think that can apply to any situation

nobigdeal
    Participant

Where the heck have you been hiding? 🙂

staplermofo
    Participant

I went from internet quirky to serious mental illness, but I’m working my way back.

nobigdeal
    Participant

I went from internet quirky to serious mental illness, but I’m working my way back.

Oh man, hope all is well now. Glad to have you back.

lokisbong
    Participant

yeah It is good to see you again staplermofo. I think I am gonna do the fake pills thing. lol

lokisbong
    Participant

yeah It is good to see you again staplermofo. I think I am gonna do the fake pills thing. lol

orionid
    Participant

And this is why we’ve missed you.

And I’ve been there. Glad you’re getting help. If you need to talk about anything, feel free to PM, Fb or email.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The topic ‘n00bs with cameras’ is closed to new replies.