New Flickr Uploader

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Kestrana
    Participant

I saw on the Flickr blog that there is a new Flickr uploader in the works. I only really use Flickr for hosting Farktography anymore and I guess I don’t even really need to do that since I have 2 other websites I could host from now but I read about it anyway since it seemed cool. At the bottom of the FAQ was this priceless paragraph:

Browser Support: The new web uploader currently supports Firefox 8, Safari 5, or Chrome 6. Support for IE is in the works. If you aren’t running one of these browsers you will automatically see the flash uploadr.

Support for IE is in the works. I hope this is a sign of the beginning of the death of IE and all it’s terribleness so places like my work will upgrade to something a little more advanced than IE 4 which blows donkey ass.

/chrome all the way

caradoc
    Participant

iPhoto and Aperture both have pretty solid integration with Flickr. Beats the Flickr Uploadr pretty handily.

chupathingie
    Participant

I’ve had no end of grief with uploaders in general. Part of that’s my fault for being a Linux weenie, I guess. Work uses IE, and I’m one of the few upgraded to IE7 (newest available behind the firewall); most are still on IE6.

I’ve always thought it was pretty poor planning to base a large portion of your employee/database interface on a web browser that breaks standards. Every time we upgrade we have to re-tool all of our websites enterprise-wide, and we’ve got a farking huge intranet; all tied into one database or another… old UNIX stuff, mainly, but if you can name a database package from the past 30 years, you can bet we’re using it for something. 😆

Barracuda
    Participant

I’ve had no end of grief with uploaders in general. Part of that’s my fault for being a Linux weenie, I guess. Work uses IE, and I’m one of the few upgraded to IE7 (newest available behind the firewall); most are still on IE6.

I’ve always thought it was pretty poor planning to base a large portion of your employee/database interface on a web browser that breaks standards. Every time we upgrade we have to re-tool all of our websites enterprise-wide, and we’ve got a farking huge intranet; all tied into one database or another… old UNIX stuff, mainly, but if you can name a database package from the past 30 years, you can bet we’re using it for something. 😆

Wow. I work in Corporate Real Estate software, all web based, and we’ve pretty much said “IE7 is dead, IE8/9 compatibility only”. //thread-jack.

Kestrana
    Participant

Well I just think it’s interesting that IE isn’t integrated at the beginning. ARAIK IE still has the largest market share but that’s because they’re dominant in emerging markets where technology is 10-20 years behind. I don’t know a single person who uses IE willingly and is under the age of 65.

chupathingie
    Participant

Good lord how my wife complained when I forced her from IE to Firefox years ago. I had to, I was cleaning out malware weekly from her machine. I finally told her I wasn’t going to maintain her machine anymore unless she cut the cord with IE.

When XP becomes completely deprecated, she’s moving to Linux.

Yugoboy
    Participant

Good lord how my wife complained when I forced her from IE to Firefox years ago. I had to, I was cleaning out malware weekly from her machine. I finally told her I wasn’t going to maintain her machine anymore unless she cut the cord with IE.

When XP becomes completely deprecated, she’s moving to Linux.

You’re lucky you couold even get your wife to switch. Mine refuses to. Uses Outlook, too.

My work laptop came with just the Microsoft stuff, but I’ve since learned about PortableApps.com, and rarely use IE on that machine either.

I never even bothered with trying to bootleg MSOffice or use some out of date model (of even buy the $10 version the district was offering)… when I got this computer, I just did the OpenOffice thing and haven’t looked back. Of course, my wife made me buy HER the $10 MSOffice, because God knows that was apparently easier than learning OpenOffice… bleah.

I really miss Windows95. As far as I’m concerned, everything since W98 is just bloatware… Who in 1995 thought we’d ever have an OS that took a full Gigabyte of hard drive space?

*Grumble*Grumble*Grouch*

orionid
    Participant

What’s IE?

staplermofo
    Participant

It’s the abbreviation of id est.
    You may remember the id from Freudian psychology, where it’s described thus: “It is the dark, inaccessible part… what little we know of it we have learned from our study … of the construction of neurotic symptoms, and most of that is of a negative character…
    We approach the id with analogies: we call it a chaos, a cauldron full of seething excitations… but it has no organization, produces … only a striving …”

chupathingie
    Participant

I really miss Windows95. As far as I’m concerned, everything since W98 is just bloatware… Who in 1995 thought we’d ever have an OS that took a full Gigabyte of hard drive space?

*Grumble*Grumble*Grouch*

That’s why ours will be a *nix household, eventually.

/not evangelizing

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I don’t know a single person who uses IE willingly and is under the age of 65.

Now you do. 🙂 I’ve got other browsers installed for testing, but I’ve never been compelled enough to bother switching since IE7 (on IE9 now). I will agree that IE6 is and was full-on crap. I didn’t even bother to try to support it on BiblioStats.

Who in 1995 thought we’d ever have an OS that took a full Gigabyte of hard drive space?

One GB? ONE GB? My C:Windows folder has 40GB in it. At the same time, who would’ve foreseen 1TB drives for $90 and machines with 12-16GB of memory? I’ve got 4x1TB drives configured as a 2TB RAID 10 array for less than I paid for a 200MB drive back then.

As far as Windows O/S’s go, 98, XP, and 7 were/are the best. After seeing Vista on my wife’s machine, I was really loath to move from XP to 7, but 7 is now probably my favorite ever.

bender16v
    Participant

As far as Windows O/S’s go, 98, XP, and 7 were/are the best. After seeing Vista on my wife’s machine, I was really loath to move from XP to 7, but 7 is now probably my favorite ever.

Agreed with 7 being pretty good, but I really liked Win 2000 before that. While people were fighting with Me and early XP, I had no problems with 2000. I tried them all back then since they came with my MSDN subscription but I haven’t kept up with that stuff recently. I tried Chrome when it was a beta, but it was incredibly slow and had no gesture plug-ins so I went back to Firefox and have stayed there. Maybe it’s time to try it again.

chupathingie
    Participant

At the same time, who would’ve foreseen 1TB drives for $90

Newegg had 1.5TB WDs for $50 some time ago… been moving all my old drives onto 3 of them.

Can I mix RAID? ie a standard boot drive with redundancy or acceleration on the storage?

Barracuda
    Participant

Can I mix RAID? ie a standard boot drive with redundancy or acceleration on the storage?

Depends on the motherboard, but usually yes.

I work at a Microsoft shop, thus most everything is Microsoft based, but I use chrome for web browsing and IE only for development. IE7 wasn’t bad, IE8 was bad for older computers but has improved, and I’ve heard decent things about IE9 being ‘close’ to as fast as Chrome. Used FFox for a while, but got tired of the semi-weekly updates.

As far as OS goes, I’m still on XP Pro both here at home and at work, but I’m about to build a new box with Win7 on it, and also going to a Win7 box at work. I previewed 7 back before release, thought it was a vast improvement on Vista, but wasn’t a reason to change from XP at the time and my current box has been humming along decently well since then. But it’s time for an upgrade, Lightroom and a few other programs I use frequently as starting to show how long in the tooth this machine is. Most of the parts are getting moved into the ‘Bike Cave’ computer.

chupathingie
    Participant

I’ll have to look into the RAID options, then.

And yeah, XP is going out when everyone quits coding in 32bit. It’s getting to the point now that XPs memory cap has become an insurmountable hurdle. Sounds so strange to be saying that 3G of RAM ain’t enough.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • The topic ‘New Flickr Uploader’ is closed to new replies.