New Flickr Uploader

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Kestrana
    Participant

I loved Firefox when it debuted but I tried out Chrome when it was first released. I never thought I would give up my Firefox but Chrome converted me. Pretty much every plugin I had for FF has migrated to Chrome or been improved.

My previous employer’s internet blocked most sites but Fark snuck through as “news” and wasn’t blocked. The IE was so old, Fark would give a warning at the top of the page “Your browser is dangerously unstable. Please upgrade” and eventually stopped working entirely.

chupathingie
    Participant

If adblockplus and no-script run in Chrome under Ubuntu, count me in for a test drive.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I’ll have to look into the RAID options, then.

And yeah, XP is going out when everyone quits coding in 32bit. It’s getting to the point now that XPs memory cap has become an insurmountable hurdle. Sounds so strange to be saying that 3G of RAM ain’t enough.

Well, there’s always 64-bit XP…

And yeah, supported RAID configurations vary by mobo & BIOS. I’ve got a mix of RAID and non-RAID because I had a couple of 250G drives from my previous computer that I still wanted to use. It’s an ASUS mobo. I don’t know for sure, but I’d guess that I could make either of the non-RAIDS the boot disk, but that would remove the purpose of going RAID 10 in the first place.

orionid
    Participant

It’s official. I don’t like it. I don’t like having to hit “upload” twice when I want to fire and forget and worry about titles and descriptions later.

chupathingie
    Participant

Is there a way to re-order them after you drag them all into the window? I had to delete them all and drag in the order I wanted them to appear.

Curious
    Participant

i ran Win95 on an IBM aptiva with a Pentium (one) 100MHz CPU, 8MB RAM and a 1.2GB HDD. uphill both ways in the snow.

added a 4GB HDD ($209), an evergreen AMD CPU upgrade kit K6-2 at 333Mhz (price forgotten) and eventually RAM to a total of 64MB. all it could handle and IIRC $100 by the time i got done.

my latest box which is a couple of years old has a AMD phenom ll x4 955 3.2Ghz, 8GB RAM and running Win7. and i swear the experience all too often is no better than the Win95 box. well photoshop runs better and video editing is better but this isn’t. nor is email.

orionid
    Participant

Well, in my day, we didn’t have the internet. You plugged your 2400 baud modem into the phone line and dialed into the local BBS. If you couldn’t find what you wanted there, then they had a directory of other nearby BBSs to dial into. And online gaming meant running a 50 foot parallel cable (modified with twisted pairs to get that length without noise) to the repeater in the kitchen, and then another one from there to your dad’s computer in the basement just so he could kick your ass at When Two Worlds War.

Yoyo
    Participant

Well, in my day, we didn’t have the internet. You plugged your 2400 baud modem into the phone line and dialed into the local BBS.

You had a 2400 bps modem? Lucky duck. I was stuck w/ a 1200 on my XT.

And regarding current equipment, my laptop is 5 years old and physically wearing out. I must visit the computer guy at my alma mater for suggestions on the particulars of a new machine. Although, I should probably quit being so lazy and open this one up and put in more memory while I’m at it for travel use, etc.

Barracuda
    Participant

New machine (parts) ordered from Newegg today. The laptop, like Yoyo, is also showing it’s age as well. But I think instead of a new machine, think I’ll finally chunk Vista like I should have long ago and go back to XP on this thing. Hopefully that’ll give me a bit more use out of it after I disassembled it a few weeks ago to replace to power port. That or I’ll just buy a cheap netbook or something for the times I need mobile computing.

chupathingie
    Participant

I had an Amish modem. And you had to keep the string on the back at exactly the right tension or it gave you email in Croatian.

That or I’ll just buy a cheap netbook or something for the times I need mobile computing.

I set a $500 limit on laptops. Much as I like my tech, laptops obsolesce so quickly that I just can’t see buying a really good one. If it’s your sole machine, it makes more sense, but I keep a workhorse at home for the heavy lifting. All I need the lappy to do is store images, do some basic image processing, surf and play Moonbase Commander.

Even a well-endowed lappy fails at 1/2 gigapixel in 48bit color… it’s like hauling cattle in a Ferrari.

Barracuda
    Participant

That’s a pretty good price point to aim for for secondary-machine laptop. The last one I bought (which I’m typing on now) I bought shortly after finishing college, so it still got a lot of use then. Since then, I usually use it to browse online and such while traveling on vacation or more often than not, watching TV in the family room. The main beef I have with this machine right now is how sluggish it is coming out of hibernation or a start up. 3gig of Ram on a dual core 1.6ghz should be more than enough.

New box is going to be the new i5 3570k, ASUS MB with the new Z77 chipset, 16gigs of DDR3, SSD boot drive, nVidia 550Ti video, and a 1TB data drive, running Win7. I keep thinking of trying another dual boot setup to play with some Linux setups, maybe the old hardware that’s getting moved to the ‘Bike Cave’.

Yugoboy
    Participant

I just can’t see buying a really good one. If it’s your sole machine, it makes more sense

This is why my next laptop will be a bit more top-of-the-line than this one was. When I bought this one, it was a pretty nice one (still is, for what I need), but I also had a desktop machine. It didn’t take long for that machine to get ignored pretty thoroughly. Laptop really works well for the way I work.

About the only reason I’d like a desktop is the excuse to buy a big-ass monitor.

Gonna be a few years until the next one, though, so I am going to have to get a bit o’ memory.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I keep thinking of trying another dual boot setup to play with some Linux setups

Take a look at VMware’s free virtualization products (VMPlayer, VMServer). Up until a couple of years ago, I had to maintain software that ran on every system from Win98 forward, so I setup virtual machines for each OS. It was truly a godsend. Before that, I did the multi-boot thing which was a PITA.

chupathingie
    Participant

I despise having to dual-boot. A VM is a great way to go if your main OS is going to be Windows. Linux plays nice in a VM, Windows not so much. I have but a single use for Windows anymore, and that’s games. Everything else I do on a PC is handled by the tools I’ve found in Linux. Some of them I like much better than Windows equivalents, some make me miss the Windows days… such as inadequate 16bit/channel apps. Raw Therapee is nice, but 16bit support in GIMP is something I’m really chomping at the bit for. Basic stuff like subtracting images from each other to control noise and light pollution is command-line only with Image Magick; which isn’t really hard, but being able to do it in layers and get immediate visual feedback is something I really miss from Photoshop. Of course, not having to buy software has allowed me to spend that money on glass, accessories and a tracking mount so it’s a trade-off.

Oh, and just look at that CSC down there for tomorrow night… unfortunately, all of the big winter DSOs have set, and the cool summer stuff doesn’t get high enough to do anything with until well after midnight. That reminds me, I need to go order an AR-coated UV filter…

Barracuda
    Participant

Doh, completely forget about virtual machines and the like, goes to show how far behind the curve I am these days.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • The topic ‘New Flickr Uploader’ is closed to new replies.