Published again

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Farktographer
    Participant

Thanks, Kestrana and rav. I agree, it’d be interesting to submit some things, even if I don’t expect to win – you never know what the judges might be looking for.

Kestrana
    Participant

Yeah I just submitted a couple to each category. But what a long time to take entries – from now to Dec. 1st yikes!

ravnostic
    Participant

On the otherhand, Kes, if we leave room for a couple more, who knows what images we might take before then? I’m working on the Darlot Project and took this earlier today. Can’t say it’s anything special, I was just experimenting with different waterstop shapes and placements–though I like the unique focal point effect here; with much yet to explore, I might capture that winning shot in say, October.

orionid
    Participant

Which aperture shape was this one with?

ravnostic
    Participant

This was a 11-hole aperture. Rather than describe the placement of the holes, I’ll just post and state they are 4mm in diameter, and the center-to-center spacing is 1.3mm from center to outer.

The picture reflects the setup for this shot; I’ve been experimenting, and there’s a lot of difference in results dependent on the placement of the ‘waterhouse stop’ (that name really isn’t accurate, is it?). I tried upon the Darlot backside, as shown, and upon the T-mount adaptor, both of which leave something to be desired though the special effects are cool.

I’m building the PVC adapter interface housing now, and have placed the stop where it will be ~an inch from the body interface, and we’ll see where that leads. Any closer to the Darlot, and my focal length adjustments will be compromised.

If I’m not happy, I’ll rework it–that PVC part is 91 cents at Lowe’s, plus labor on my part, free. (And yes, I found someone to cover the OT shift so I can mess with this project for the next couple days.)

Curious
    Participant

(And yes, I found someone to cover the OT shift so I can mess with this project for the next couple days.)

that won’t pay for your truck 🙂

checked my flickr stats. how depressing. one view from fark. oh well, no fame for me 🙁

ravnostic
    Participant

that won’t pay for your truck 🙂

checked my flickr stats. how depressing. one view from fark. oh well, no fame for me 🙁

Phuq the truck. Two weeks one way or the other won’t make a difference when my goal was August 31st. Artsy-Fartsy, however, is in a few days. Priorities. 😀

I can’t see it’s possible you don’t have but one view from Fark. But I haven’t read up on how flickr tracks such things. I have found for my own images, ‘click for bigger/better’ really doesn’t result in much traffic, in comparison to the views of the ‘original’ 640×1100 (whatever) image. It’s never been ‘one’–even when I didn’t get a single vote besides my own.

Curious
    Participant

I can’t see it’s possible you don’t have but one view from Fark. But I haven’t read up on how flickr tracks such things. I have found for my own images, ‘click for bigger/better’ really doesn’t result in much traffic, in comparison to the views of the ‘original’ 640×1100 (whatever) image. It’s never been ‘one’–even when I didn’t get a single vote besides my own.

well this was recent stats. and i use paid hosting, other than flickr, for my entries. the one viewed was of my dog with a toy. not a contest entry and no idea why someone might have wanted to see it. it was uploaded last april.

i use flickr to share stuff with you guys and on fark quite often since it’s easier than my paid hosting.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Start local. No Big Deal photographs local bands on the rock/metal scene and Caradoc has a gig with a local theatre, for example. Entering contests might not win you any money to start but it can get you a little recognition.

I second the “Start local”. Look for local art mags or alt weekly type mags that might have calls for submission. If you’re in San Diego, I bet there are plenty of those types of things. Maybe even see if SDSU or other schools have any kind of art or photography program that may host community submissions on occasion. Some art galleries have occasional open calls as well, and independent coffee shops or bookstores often support the art scene by hanging a selection of local art.

kashari
    Participant

Thanks, Kestrana and rav. I agree, it’d be interesting to submit some things, even if I don’t expect to win – you never know what the judges might be looking for.

That’s what I did and I thought I’d have NO chance, so go for it! 🙂 Heck, I was surprised and THRILLED that some of mine were chosen for the Farktography book, considering all the wonderful photographers we have here.

chupathingie
    Participant

Very cool! All I seem to get is friends egging me on to rent space at the local art walk… 😛

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • The topic ‘Published again’ is closed to new replies.