Skip to toolbar

Question about a Farktography Rule

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill Question about a Farktography Rule

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    geom_00
    Participant

Hey all,

Quick question for you. Due to my location and lack of funds, I really can not travel to the Western States for the Volcanoes, Moutains…ect contest.

However, I have pictures from back when I was younger from a family trip out west.

So, here are my questions:

Scanned photographs ARE allowed, correct?

More importantly. When I was younger, I HAD a camera, but not a great one. Most of the pictures taken of mountains are all in a photo album at home, and I have NO clue who took what. My mother, father, brother and myself all took pictures to fill the album. I know the rule is, we can not submit anyone else’s work…but in this case would there be a difference?

I MIGHT have a backup in case I can not use the trip out west photos, but that is where the first question about the scanner comes in.

Thanks in advance!!

SilverStag
    Participant

Yes, scanned photographs (of your own photos) are allowed. I interpret this to mean that anything I took in the years before digital is eligible, but not, for example, my scanned old family photos from the 1910’s, since I didn’t take them.

So yes, if you took the original photo, and scan it, it’s legal.

olavf
    Participant

Yeah, scanned photos or negatives are fine, so long as you took the picture. Photos of photos or other ‘flat’ art pieces are not, unless they’re part of a larger composition.

sleeping
    Participant

Also, I might suggest that the “beyond a reasonable doubt” standard would be appropriate with regards to photos where there might be some uncertainty about who took it? If you’re really not sure at all, I don’t think it would be OK to use…

Kestrana
    Participant

You can also think out of the box. Any sort of representation of mountain, volcanos, waterfalls would work too from neon signs to public art.

olavf
    Participant

At least one of mine is going to be straight out of the box. But in the other way.

orionid
    Participant

At least one of mine is going to be straight out of the box. But in the other way.

Beer?

olavf
    Participant

Beer?

You’d think so, knowing me, wouldn’t you…

/not this time

geom_00
    Participant

Thanks for all the help!!

Farktographer
    Participant

You can also think out of the box. Any sort of representation of mountain, volcanos, waterfalls would work too from neon signs to public art.

This. Very much this. San Diego is far from any mountains, waterfalls, or volcanoes.

olavf
    Participant

What about the Mts along I-8 on the way to nowheresville? They seemed pretty steep when I drove them in a Ford Ranger with a Pioneer drone engine in the back 😛

Farktographer
    Participant

Nowheresville. *Shudder.* I avoid that area if I can, haha – but for me, they just look more like hills than mountains. When I think of mountains, I think Everest or Mammoth, something along the Sierra Nevadas. I don’t count much of what’s in SoCal as mountains.

olavf
    Participant

Lake Arrowhead isn’t that far North, either….

But I’ve been everywhere in SoCal from TJ North. I don’t remember the stretch along 8 so well, but I seem to remember some really stark hillsides that would be pretty cool in the right lighting. Mind you, it’s been…18 years so I’m going off geographic memory (which is one of the few things I can remember lol)

Good heavens, I’m getting old.

Farktographer
    Participant

Haha. Don’t be too hard on yourself – I can’t keep geographic memory right from a month ago. I’m hoping for some good potential shots when I go to Taiwan in a couple weeks, but if not I could always take a drive up to the Lake Arrowhead or Big Bear area – it’s close to my hometown.

olavf
    Participant

Two months ago would have been perfect for Big Bear, but yeah. Barring some sweet shots from Taiwan that would be perfect.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.