Soooooooooper Mooooooooon

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill Soooooooooper Mooooooooon

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    ennuipoet
    Participant

I went out tonight to shoot the “Super” Moon. It was kinda cool. I learned, however, that I don’t know how to photograph the Moon. All of my photos looked like a small Sun was shining. Oh well, live and learn, I’ll catch the next one in 23 years. Anyone get any real moon shots, other than your neighbor who never closes the curtains?

linguine
    Participant

Ive havent taken many shots of the moon, but I know you need exposures similar to a sunny day since youre taking pictures of something thats reflecting direct sunlight.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I took some pictures, but we had high thin clouds, so they’re pretty craptastic. It’s cleared out now, but I don’t know that they’d be that appealing, plus my longest lens is 200mm.

nobigdeal
    Participant

Nope never took photos of the moon before…

Bright Moon 365 Day 39 by MusicInPictures.net (Ken Cote), on Flickr

zincprincess
    Participant

I fooled around in the front yard and this is the best I could do. Hazy night and suburban lights don’t make for good shots of the moon.

olavf
    Participant

We have rainz :/

soosh
    Participant

doesn’t rise here for another hour and a half.

Curious
    Participant

I fooled around in the front yard and this is the best I could do. Hazy night and suburban lights don’t make for good shots of the moon.

much better than mine. it’s behind the tree line here. and my few exposures through a hole in the branches were crap. i was hand holding and resting on my truck hood but even the faster ones had motion blur.

if it clears the tree line before i go to bed i’ll try again. with the tripod and remote release.

ravnostic
    Participant

I woke up too late for the moon rise; perhaps I’ll get a moonset. Lot’s of thin clouds tonight, and a silvery desert haze caused by winds picking up the fine desert dust. As such, I’m not thinking I’ll get much from it.

As for shots of the moon, these things I’ve found helpful:

1) I start with an f/11 on a 75-300mm at 300, ISO 200, 1/200th second. Depending on the size of the moon and it’s brightness intensity, I adjust from there (usually contrast gets punched up, and the exposure time knocked down, for better detail). The moon 1 day before or after full moon ‘proper’ looks plenty full, but is considerably dimmer in actuality. Helpful knowledge if you want anything exposed in the same shot, see #2.

2) If I want some foreground in the shot (as in a treeline or buildings or such), I need a moon just prior to full (12 to 36 hours) to do anything other than a silhouette. There needs to be either sunset lighting or at least the sky still lit brightly enough to illuminate objects against a shot exposed to capture the moon. I worked last night, which would have been perfect; tonight’s moon rose after sunset. Works the other way for a moonset; I’ll wait and see on the sky conditions tomorrow morn’.

3) I use a remote shutter cable, and I use mirror lockup. Both of which help prevent even a little shake, which is deadly to a good, crisp picture with nice crater details.

Somewhere in the gallery I recently posted a moon shot; too lazy to look for it right now.

nobigdeal
    Participant

Also if you have Live View on your camera use it at full magnification to manually focus.

Curious
    Participant

good lord but i’m a dumbass sometimes. reading ravnostic‘s post and something clicked. i’d been using area metering and seriously overexposing the moon. changing to spot made soooooo much difference.

so now i have 30 decent exposures and won’t have to wait 19 years for this to happen again.

Curious
    Participant

Also if you have Live View on your camera use it at full magnification to manually focus.

yeah that would have helped. but viewed at full frame mine are ok with either auto or manual focus.

ravnostic
    Participant

good lord but i’m a dumbass sometimes. reading ravnostic‘s post and something clicked. i’d been using area metering and seriously overexposing the moon. changing to spot made soooooo much difference.

so now i have 30 decent exposures and won’t have to wait 19 years for this to happen again.

Yeay! Don’t we get to see one?

lokisbong
    Participant

3-19-2011a by lokisbong, on Flickr
    1/250of a second at 100 ISO and f4.5 at 250mm

Curious
    Participant

Yeay! Don’t we get to see one?

no, not until i can get flickr to give me a url that will post the picture. tried hosting it myself and at 1078 pixels wide it make the thread scroll sideways way too much.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • The topic ‘Soooooooooper Mooooooooon’ is closed to new replies.