Speaking of lethal voltages and photography…

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill Speaking of lethal voltages and photography…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I came across this today, which I thought might be of interest to a few around here.

He built his own sub-microsecond flash using the spark generated by a 45KV power supply. He uses it to photograph pellets traveling at 1000 fps for photos like this:

He’s got instructions for building one, but states up front, “You should not build this because this flash will kill you. It really will.” Sounds like a challenge to me. 😉

Elsinore
    Keymaster

whoa…

olavf
    Participant

Sounds dangerously easy.

I like the idea of using a neon lamp as a bleeder for the cap though. Nice big red one that says “I keeeeel you” when lit.

caradoc
    Participant

He’s got instructions for building one, but states up front, “You should not build this because this flash will kill you. It really will.” Sounds like a challenge to me. 😉

Yep. New project.

I haven’t played with high voltage much since I built that infrared monocular back in high school. Burned a hole through the end of my finger with that one…

olavf
    Participant

I happen to know a PCB designer too. I’ve been meaning to make one of his Camera Axes anyhow.

Kestrana
    Participant

Sometimes I feel like you guys are trying to make my husband set the house on fire…

caradoc
    Participant

I happen to know a PCB designer too. I’ve been meaning to make one of his Camera Axes anyhow.

My lightning trigger is based on his early circuit that later became the “Camera Axe.”

Works pretty darned well, if you ask me.

nobigdeal
    Participant

Sometimes I feel like you guys are trying to make my husband set the house on fire…

Just setting the house on fire is too tame…I want to be able to see the fireball from my house!

Kestrana
    Participant

Speaking of which, we should hang out some time.

orionid
    Participant

It’s okay. I accidentally took the homemade fireworks to work.

/I didn’t make them
    //runs in the family

orionid
    Participant

Hmmm….. Now I’m looking at this and thinking about an old ($$$) silver-platter variable capacitor from multi MW radio amplifiers. With this voltage (or possibly higher), and a variable cap, you could conceivably dial-down the exposure time into Edgarton-esque exposures stopping 3000fps .30 cal rifle rounds.

olavf
    Participant

Ask Kat about watching my framing on the camera for me while I hold flaming alcohol-soaked briquettes in my hand some time 😉

orionid
    Participant

Ask Kat about watching my framing on the camera for me while I hold flaming alcohol-soaked briquettes in my hand some time 😉

On the bright side, alcohol boils at 70-something so the bricks stay cool in your hand.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Hmmm….. Now I’m looking at this and thinking about an old ($$$) silver-platter variable capacitor from multi MW radio amplifiers. With this voltage (or possibly higher), and a variable cap, you could conceivably dial-down the exposure time into Edgarton-esque exposures stopping 3000fps .30 cal rifle rounds.

See, kes, you’ve nothing to worry about. Your house will be full of .30 cal holes long before it burns down. 😉

SilverStag
    Participant

]See, kes, you’ve nothing to worry about. Your house will be full of .30 cal holes long before it burns down. 😉

You gotta ventilate it somehow.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • The topic ‘Speaking of lethal voltages and photography…’ is closed to new replies.