The Darlot Project–test shots

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery The Darlot Project–test shots

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

There are things I really–really–like about the lens configuration.

And things ‘not so much’.

Anyways, here are some shots from my inaugural foray with the DP lens.

Commentary and suggestions welcomed.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Well, you obviously wouldn’t use it as your everyday walking-around lens, but as an “art” lens, I do like the effect. The bokeh in that first one is exceptional. That wire tornado thing is really cool, too.

You really oughta be able to come up with some strong contenders for artsy-fartsy with this one, I’d think.

ravnostic
    Participant

I’m not sure if it’s just me, but the web images look very different here than when looking at them through Irfanview–almost blockish, esp. that first and second one. That’s not intentional–though I am reminded of the 1970’s Sears photo studio shots.

CISS, I wish I had more time for A.F. I did do some playing, I found what I think is the best ‘stop’ to even out the focal issues. The astigmatism will be addressed, as well (my aperture isn’t quite on the money yet, a little adjustment to make). But in truth–I kinda like the shots I’d already selected for ‘Artsy’. I’d have to take something really kewl to warrant a change. Today’s excursion didn’t allow that.

//came for the egrets. left disappointed.

Farktographer
    Participant

Yeah, the first 2 shots are turning out real blocky to me, too. I love the 70’s sitcom effect of blurring everything on the edges 🙂

orionid
    Participant

I love that wall of flours.

And I hope you don’t mind, but I’m seriously considering ordering the same cookie press come june when we get back from our honeymoon.

Plamadude30k
    Participant

That’s pretty awesome, man. I look forward to seeing what you come up with for next week!

ravnostic
    Participant

I love that wall of flours.

And I hope you don’t mind, but I’m seriously considering ordering the same cookie press come june when we get back from our honeymoon.

By all means. It’s made by Norpro, $15 on Amazon. Model 3300.

//edit to add that I fixed the blockiness.

ravnostic
    Participant

Orionid; did you mean ‘wall of floors’, as in the hotel shot (the orange things sticking out), or ‘wall of flowers’, with the bouganvillas?

For contest reasons, I like the stairs shot myself. And I wish we had an upcoming ‘what dreams may come’ as the effect would lend itself to those kind of shots. Tomorrow morning after work I’ll head out; this time I’ll try some of the other ‘plate’ stops. All of these were with a basic round shape. Testing at home, I found one that seems to lessen the blurring on the edges a bit, and I’d like to play with that some.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

OK, I give, rav – what the heck is that wire tornado thing?

ravnostic
    Participant

Why, it’s art! Can’t you tell?

//It’s actually controversial art; people either love it or hate it. It’s huge. It’s placed in an area with no relevance to it’s design. It caused a stir when they put it in place, but I think people have gotten used to it now.

orionid
    Participant

Orionid; did you mean ‘wall of floors’, as in the hotel shot (the orange things sticking out), or ‘wall of flowers’, with the bouganvillas?

Wow. I just realized what I’d typed. I meant wall of flowers, as in the fourth one down. Also, your first two look pretty sweet now that the blockiness is fixed.

Thanks for the brand info, also kudos on the slide design for holding them. right now, I’m considering screw-in with an empty filter ring.

kashari
    Participant

Very interesting, ravnostic, I like them a lot!

ravnostic
    Participant

Thanks for the brand info, also kudos on the slide design for holding them. right now, I’m considering screw-in with an empty filter ring.

Funny you mention that; I’m considering adding a lens ‘cap’ to do the same thing; only on front of the darlot. The slider stop needs a little tweeking; the center of the stop sits a little high in the bracket, leading to the not-quite-centered focal clarity in the images above (it’s a small fix, but I’m picky that way–should get to that tomorrow, if I’m good and don’t open a beer first tihing when I get out of work in the morning).

If I find a good snug plastic cap, I can then use both, which gives me (technically) 400 different combinations to choose from.

ravnostic
    Participant

I went out this morning to meet up with my brother Rob and take pictures of he and the kids. On the way, I Took a couple sunrise shots with the Darlot that I like, and then I got waylaided by 1000 sheep.

No kidding.

Apparently, some ranch moves them north this time of year. I had the Darlot project installed and was working on the fly, so that’s the lens that took the pictures. The ‘asterisk’ ‘waterhouse stop’ was installed at the time. I like the effects.

olavf
    Participant

The third one (with the tree sticking out of the tree of sheep) has a really cool feel to it, especially.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • The topic ‘The Darlot Project–test shots’ is closed to new replies.