upcoming photoshop contest

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill upcoming photoshop contest

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Curious
    Participant

on may the 21st this will be a photoshop contest: “Photoshop Theme: Photoshop/Farktography Mashup (DIT)”

images to be used will be from the IV anniversary contest.

those with total fark can see what’s been done already. looks good so far.

for those that don’t usually look at upcoming contests, sign on to total fark and click the “contests” link just under the banner ad.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’m sure it will be a cool contest, but I hope everyone’s ok with their images being used in that way….The Caturday theme and prior Photoshop/Farktography collaborations have had prior arrangement and permission.

Curious
    Participant

i’m with you on that. today when the contest was mentioned in the PSAEF i posted some info and links to what we had done before. the most recent i could find was a conversation from 2007 that went nowhere. it’s in the “photoshoptography” section. i also posted a link to the thread re photoshop friendly farktographers.

just FYI and BTW (and OMGBBQ, etc) the submitter doesn’t have anything in the anniversary contest. nor is he a member here, at least not under the same screen name. he does photoshop some and has been a farker since 2005.

when first submitted the contest was red almost immediately. as to why it went from red to green —

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Honestly, as much as I hate to rain on anyone’s parade, I don’t think it would be very fair to go forward with that contest since there was no prior notice to the Farktographers that the thread entries would be used for that purpose.

Can we maybe arrange something soon either for one of the contests coming up or even work out a contest theme that would work for the PS’ers and get it up on the schedule in the next month or 6 weeks? It’s definitely been too long since we collaborated with them, but the boobies post always says prior permission is needed for using anyone’s photos. I know a lot of people don’t care if their photos are used, but some would.

staplermofo
    Participant

Do photoshop contests ordinarily get permission before using images?

I could see how people would be upset by it, but unless they take their images down 2 days after a contest I don’t see any way to prevent it from happening on any number of other sites.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Well, the boobies specifically say the images are not to be used for anything outside Farktography without prior written permission from the photographer. I know people violate that all the time, but that doesn’t mean we can condone that. Prior PS/Farktography collaborations (and the Cat theme/Caturday thread) have been arranged ahead of time and those contests specfically said they were collaborations where any of the entries could be used for the corresponding PS or Caturday thread. That’s not the case with this one; there was no prior notice, so someone who didn’t want their entries used in that way wasn’t given the option of opting out of the thread.

linguine
    Participant

It might be too late now, but we could try throwing up a notice on the farktography contest saying to post something if you don’t want your images used for the photoshop contest.

Curious
    Participant

I could see how people would be upset by it, but unless they take their images down 2 days after a contest I don’t see any way to prevent it from happening on any number of other sites.

of course the answer to this is no. and not only no but hell no. i’ll pull a number from my ass and say that 99.8% of the photoshop “O’s” and resulting contest entries are from StumbleOn and GIS and similar sources. and i’ll bet that in almost all cases there is no prior permission. there have been a couple of complaints that i know of but they were resolved amiably.

today i came across a thread here about miller9 being in a chain email. it happens.

all that said it would be too bad if someone were to take offense.

so Elsinore if you want to contact Drew and chat with him it would probably be best if done soon. personally i hope the contest stays and no one gets upset. it is Fark after all.

and again just FYI, BTW and OMGBBQ one of the current entries used Zeke’s cat with food trail 🙂

nobigdeal
    Participant

Edit:
    double post

nobigdeal
    Participant

I hope it stays. There is some good stuff there already.

/ permission to use my shots granted 🙂

olavf
    Participant

I’m fine with it so long as my pic of Kat isn’t used.

Would have been nice to know in advance though.

Good stuff so far though.

justkat
    Participant

i find this completely unacceptable. only if a contest states when it is posted that the pictures will be open for photoshop contests would this be okay. i was totally fine with this for the kitteh contest, because i knew in advance. i reserve all my rights to my photographs. maybe some of you would consider my degree of distress uncalled for, but this upsets me very much.

edited to add:

yes i know it can and does happen all the time. no, this doesn’t make theft acceptable.

olavf
    Participant

of course the answer to this is no. and not only no but hell no. i’ll pull a number from my ass and say that 99.8% of the photoshop “O’s” and resulting contest entries are from StumbleOn and GIS and similar sources. and i’ll bet that in almost all cases there is no prior permission. there have been a couple of complaints that i know of but they were resolved amiably.

today i came across a thread here about miller9 being in a chain email. it happens.

all that said it would be too bad if someone were to take offense.

so Elsinore if you want to contact Drew and chat with him it would probably be best if done soon. personally i hope the contest stays and no one gets upset. it is Fark after all.

and again just FYI, BTW and OMGBBQ one of the current entries used Zeke’s cat with food trail 🙂

Normally I’d be flattered but if that picture doesn’t come down soon I *will* Farkback and ask that the entire thread be yanked if need be. It’s upsetting me, it’s *really* upsetting the wife, and I certainly would not have posted it had I known that would be one of the parameters of the contest.

I mean, you can tell where it came from, my goddamn copyright is still in the corner.

linguine
    Participant

HansensDisease has an email address in his profile that you could try if he doesn’t notice your post in the contest. My guess is that most of the photoshoppers had no clue that no one over here had approved this already and they thought that we had approved this already like when this type of crossover contest before.

olavf
    Participant

HansensDisease has an email address in his profile that you could try if he doesn’t notice your post in the contest. My guess is that most of the photoshoppers had no clue that no one over here had approved this already and they thought that we had approved this already like when this type of crossover contest before.

he saw my post a minute or so ago. I’d emailed him already also, but ultrafark is being screwy, around here at least.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • The topic ‘upcoming photoshop contest’ is closed to new replies.