Well, Isn’t This Special…

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill Well, Isn’t This Special…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    ennuipoet
    Participant

http://fstoppers.com/shocking-getty-licenses-nick-laham-photographs-of-ny-yankees-taken-with-iphone

In a bathroom stall, with an iphone and Instagram…I swear to you generations of dead photographers are clawing at their coffins as we speak. Soon they shall rise up and zombie rampage the studios of professional photographers.

I’m OK with that.

ravnostic
    Participant

I’m Gettying a little tired of the problems I’ve been hearing about Getty. Wait..what?

Kestrana
    Participant

Totally appropriate because it makes the Yankees look like the d-bags they actually are.

chupathingie
    Participant

Why do I get the feeling that the iphone/dslr situation has an analogy with the 35mm/med. format/large format comparisons? The iphone looks to have the best quality phonecam currently on the market, so the limiting factors at this point seem to be lack of manual controls for DOF and resolution (which is limited less by megapixels and more by diffraction of a teeny lens)…

staplermofo
    Participant

As someone who yells and threatens violence about SACD and D-VHS not catching on, I’ve gotta ask, could someone explain what’s wrong with this in terms of the product as delivered in the medium chosen by the consumers of the product?

Where were the people who demand quality when SACD came out? People were blabbing on about “ohh, I love my vinyl, blah blah blah, I’m a stupid head, blah blah blah, mp3 sucks, I never even tried SACD”! Well where is it? Where is the better than CD quality sound now?
    Where were the people who demand quality when D-VHS came out? People were blabbing on with “tape is obsolete, and blah blah blah, no more rewinding, blah blah blah, oh optical is so sharp”. Well where’s your god damn lossless recording now!? A decade later, where the hell is it!? We had $5 50gb tapes that could have easily gone to 1tb if it took off.
    Where are the people pushing for digital backs for SLRs? I want a god damn Foveon sensor on my god damn camera. I don’t want a new body when a better sensor comes out. I could use a 30 year old Pentax just fine! Let me buy a god damn $400 body and keep it for 20 years and replace the god damn sensor every 5!

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

As someone who yells and threatens violence about SACD and D-VHS not catching on, I’ve gotta ask, could someone explain what’s wrong with this in terms of the product as delivered in the medium chosen by the consumers of the product?

Where were the people who demand quality when SACD came out? People were blabbing on about “ohh, I love my vinyl, blah blah blah, I’m a stupid head, blah blah blah, mp3 sucks, I never even tried SACD”! Well where is it? Where is the better than CD quality sound now?
    Where were the people who demand quality when D-VHS came out? People were blabbing on with “tape is obsolete, and blah blah blah, no more rewinding, blah blah blah, oh optical is so sharp”. Well where’s your god damn lossless recording now!? A decade later, where the hell is it!? We had $5 50gb tapes that could have easily gone to 1tb if it took off.
    Where are the people pushing for digital backs for SLRs? I want a god damn Foveon sensor on my god damn camera. I don’t want a new body when a better sensor comes out. I could use a 30 year old Pentax just fine! Let me buy a god damn $400 body and keep it for 20 years and replace the god damn sensor every 5!

Amen! It’s the triumph of marketting driven apathy over self-interest IMO. We as a people have become adept at manipulating public opinon, which could be a good thing. But it’s often used to keep people complacent rather than to build support for something worthwhile.

And as far as the linked story goes, if I was going to pay for a photo of a professional athlete in a bathroom, it would not be a head/shoulders shot.

fluffybunny
    Participant

http://www.latestgadgets.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/flashdock1.jpg

I understand the basic principles, but how do you make it asplode so it illuminates the subject?

lokisbong
    Participant

http://www.latestgadgets.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/flashdock1.jpg

I understand the basic principles, but how do you make it asplode so it illuminates the subject?

What in the hells is that? Why is there a smart phone on top of that camera?

sleeping
    Participant

but how do you make it asplode so it illuminates the subject?

A couple grams of C4?

fluffybunny
    Participant

I guess (tl;dr) the cradle is supposed to activate the iphone’s flash instead of a traditional strobe.

/why?
    //WHY GOD WHY?

staplermofo
    Participant

It does geotagging, AF assist light, and assorted other crap.

C’mon, those of you with older PS3s, go buy some SACDs, they’re amazing.

fluffybunny
    Participant

Maybe it’s shown on the photo wrong, it really sits on the camera so the display is forwards and is used mostly by baby photographers tired of squeaky toys.

staplermofo
    Participant

Goatse is the new “say cheese”.

Yugoboy
    Participant

The middle picture in the 3 in the article is easy to see the compression. (I can’t figure out how to re-phrase that so it’s proper English.) It looks like “Smart Blur” has been applied. Except for that, the pictures are fine for what they are. The lighting and image quality is good, but we’re seeing images of a certain size designed to be shown on a computer screen.

All of our discussions and complaints here about iPhone images and other cell phone/low quality camera images all are around images that almost seem designed for computer and digital display. We’re talking resolutions of 72dpi. How do these cameras’ stand up when images are printed? That’s likely where the rubber’s gonna hit the road, especially at a larger print size.

sleeping
    Participant

How do these cameras’ stand up when images are printed? That’s likely where the rubber’s gonna hit the road, especially at a larger print size.

It’s also, like it or not, becoming increasingly irrelevant. How many people do you know under the age of 60 who aren’t serious photographers who print images on a regular (or even irregular) basis?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • The topic ‘Well, Isn’t This Special…’ is closed to new replies.