Well, Isn’t This Special…

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill Well, Isn’t This Special…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    ennuipoet
    Participant

I’ve got rant on this, but not while I at work…you may register Jack’s complete lack of surprise

Yugoboy
    Participant

How do these cameras’ stand up when images are printed? That’s likely where the rubber’s gonna hit the road, especially at a larger print size.

It’s also, like it or not, becoming increasingly irrelevant. How many people do you know under the age of 60 who aren’t serious photographers who print images on a regular (or even irregular) basis?

That’s sort of my point…

ennuipoet
    Participant

Eschewing another Iphone/Hipstamatic rant, these professionally shot photos look like they were taken with an iphone in a bathroom stall. It is a case of “if anyone can do it why are we paying people to do it” that is killing professional photography. Here is a guy who, presumably, has the equipment and skill set to make the best of a bad situation. Instead he takes some sincerely mediocre photos and still gets them licensed. Why in the world who a accountant at a paper or magazine not look at this and decide he doesn’t need his photo staff?

What he SHOULD have done is taken this moment to show what a trained photographer with talent and skill is worth by making good photos in a bad situation. He didn’t have a Fast 50 in his bag and a couple of off camera flashes? It takes five minutes (if you know what you’re doing) to set up a simple two light shoot in a confined space. Throw the background out of focus with a wide open shutter and go! If I can do it (and I can, maybe not in five minutes, but fairly quick) surely a professional can?

I know that I am never going to shoot for National Geographic, or the New York Times, I accept that…but if the people working now don’t give a damn about showing the profession in the best possible light ALL THE TIME then there won’t BE such a thing as professional photojournalist in ten years.

/See, you guys thought I was gonna spew vitriol about iphone photograph didn’t you?
    //Finish this rant and click over to Petapixel and find this: http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/22/opinion/phones-instagram-apps-stern/

swear to the FSM I didn’t read it before I ranted.

Yoyo
    Participant

Getty would be a fool to not take these images. They will sell, as they already have to the article writer. It’s the Yankees for goodness sake. I don’t even follow baseball since Kaufman sold the Royals, but I still recognize the guys in those portraits.

orionid
    Participant

I was expecting to see a bunch of douchbags taking a piss at a trough urinal. Out of focus and poorly lit. One out of five ain’t bad?

Curious
    Participant

hey i resent that.

oh wait i’m over 60, have three printers and a dry mount press and still don’t print that often.

orionid
    Participant

hey i resent that.

oh wait i’m over 60, have three printers and a dry mount press and still don’t print that often.

Let’s talk about what’s really important here. You’re not a douchebag taking an out of focus piss in a poorly lit trough urinal.

nobigdeal
    Participant

Sorry guys, I hate to be the one who breaks it to you but film is dead. D-E-A-D dead. Sure there will always be film and old cameras around to play with just like there are model T’s around to drive, but do you really want to drive the model T every day when the cheapest Hyundai out there drives a 1000 times better and is far simpler to operate?

It’s no different with cameras. Why should I bust out my Holga, load film, take 12 shots, go through all the BS of developing at home when I can take a shot that is virtually identical with my iPhone? Because I love the smell of developer? Hardly…

Everything this guy did with his iPhone I could reproduce in Photoshop on pictures taken with any DSLR. Would you hate so passionately if they were taken with a 5D MKII?

I think his point was to show that he could take compelling shots in adverse conditions with an iPhone. I think he succeeded.

orionid
    Participant

For me, on this one, my disdain for the iphone is inconsequential compared to the way I loathe the yankees.

And my iphone hatred is also not geared directly at cellular photography, though anything that comes out of my droid is not exactly art, so much as at apple as a company.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Sorry guys, I hate to be the one who breaks it to you but film is dead. D-E-A-D dead. Sure there will always be film and old cameras around to play with just like there are model T’s around to drive, but do you really want to drive the model T every day when the cheapest Hyundai out there drives a 1000 times better and is far simpler to operate?

It’s no different with cameras. Why should I bust out my Holga, load film, take 12 shots, go through all the BS of developing at home when I can take a shot that is virtually identical with my iPhone? Because I love the smell of developer? Hardly…

Everything this guy did with his iPhone I could reproduce in Photoshop on pictures taken with any DSLR. Would you hate so passionately if they were taken with a 5D MKII?

I think his point was to show that he could take compelling shots in adverse conditions with an iPhone. I think he succeeded.

My loathing would be just as acute if he shot them on a Holga or Diana and then processed them. I am talking about standards of professional journalism. It’s a free country, for now, so if your “art” leads you into shooting photos on a cardboard Kodak and processed in your own urine, go for it. If you want to recreate the Sistine Chapel on your iphone, knock yourself out. If you are professional journalist commission to do a job, you better damn well do it PROFESSIONALLY. These shots should not rise to the standards of contemporary photojournalism in style or content. In this case, he literally “phoned it in”.

Curious
    Participant

so i’m sitting at this art fair/flea market with my photos displayed for all the world to see and this woman walks by and i hear her say: “i’ve got one just like that”. her friend makes her point out which one and i know beyond a shadow of a doubt that whatever she has it’s not even close to my print.

what she meant was she had a snapshot of a similar subject. i did not either yell at her: “THE HELL YOU DO” or otherwise create a scene but i did realize that i needed a new venue to sell in.

ennuipoet did you see The Gates in central park (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gates) when it was up? and if so what did you think of it. to me this is more of the same kind of thing. art is in the eye of the beholder and IMO this iPhone shit isn’t art.

ennuipoet
    Participant

ennuipoet did you see The Gates in central park (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gates) when it was up? and if so what did you think of it. to me this is more of the same kind of thing. art is in the eye of the beholder and IMO this iPhone shit isn’t art.

The gates happened the year I moved up here but I never saw them. They seemed to me to be nice but not what I call “art”. But, I have never been up on the art world, 99% of it is lost on me.

Yugoboy
    Participant

ennuipoet
    Participant

Yugoboy, where did you find this? I would love to credit it when I steal for my Facebook!

No, wait, found it! AWESOME!

Yugoboy
    Participant

Yugoboy, where did you find this? I would love to credit it when I steal for my Facebook!

No, wait, found it! AWESOME!

For everyone else, it came from this link I saw in the PSAEF:

http://www.ellf.ru/creative/31083-mudrye-sovety-ot-babushki-23-foto.html

There’s a whole bunch of fun ones…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • The topic ‘Well, Isn’t This Special…’ is closed to new replies.