What did Santa bring you?

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill What did Santa bring you?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    SilverStag
    Participant

I got 2 lenses, a 35mm f1.8 Nikkor and an Opteka 500mm Tele. I’ve always wanted to see what one of those Optekas could do.

That was pretty much the long and the short of it.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I got a 24″ Speedlight softbox from my Secret Santa, then Zeke got me another one, plus a gel holder and a Canon 100mm macro lens. Got other book and music type stuff, but those were my big photography gifts. Merry Christmas!

SilverStag
    Participant

I’m holding out for the Nikkor 105mm macro. 🙂 Merry Christmas to you guys, too.

caradoc
    Participant

(groan)

Elsinore
    Keymaster

d’oh! I forgot to mention what my Evil Photography Twin gave me–a Kodak Duaflex I (which is hoodless for great TtV justice), and a Canon 24-105mm L….coffee mug 😉

nobigdeal
    Participant

Money was tight this year so we decided to forgo gifts for each other and just focus on the grandkids. So no new photo toys this year.

orionid
    Participant

In this photo: Donut Shop Coffee, Silk metallic green paisley tie, Survival guide for the impending garden gnome apocalypse, Steelers beer koozie, Steelers freezable pilsner glass, Gift box (technically to both of us) with reisling, cheese, chocolates, and nuts, White Chocolate Coconut bar, Jack Lambert jersey, Beer puzzle, MOOSE!, Gnome cross stitch, Magic Cards from the newest set, Caramel hershey’s kisses, bottle opener, Tie clips, Fishing ornament, Deck Box, Troy Polamalu autographed photo, Steelers 2011 desk calender

Kestrana
    Participant

orionid gave me a 1950s Polaroid Landcam in amazing condition that he’s going to convert to 35mm like his, and also a 1910s-1920s era Kodak predecessor to the Brownie that takes 120 size film, so can be used as is. I’m really excited to see what kind of pictures come out of that one!

orionid
    Participant

Oh, and rumor has it this is waiting for us at my parents place.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Ooo that 1910/1920 era camera sounds awesome, as does that lens!

chupathingie
    Participant

(groan)

😆 That was my first reaction as well!

You guys made out like bandits!

This is my 3rd year of Christmas away from family, but I got to talk to everyone on the phone for a good long time at least.

I got a bunch of gift certs, one for B&H Photo… I’m thinking a set of polarizers…

Loads of fun toys, y’all. Orionid, I bought that same lens earlier this year (except the Canon variant). It’s a fun piece of glass. It was labelled EF-S, but it fits EF mounts too. I hacked the shroud off to take advantage of the FOV on a full-frame… 180 degrees! 360×180 panos in 3 shots. If someone’s standing beside you, they’re likely in frame. Stopped down and focused for about 5 feet, it’s got a practically infinite depth of field. It’s a neat toy.

Merry Christmas, all! 🙂

Curious
    Participant

no camera gear but nice gifts anyway. due to other expenses we (gift givers/receivers) were a bit tight this year.

chupathingie
    Participant

That’s been my familial scene, too. As much as I hate to give a “Little Thought” gift like a bit of plastic stamped with a monetary value, it’s appropriate when locales don’t allow for cruising to the folks’ house for the evening on a whim and in general seeing the family often…

…and we’ve always been “cheap”, in a way. The big thing for us was having an excuse to stage opening a can of smiles on everyone.

My wife is working, both last night and Christmas day. She decided she wanted to set a bunch of cookies out for the customers (store-bought, but still I thought she was making a nice gesture). Safety regs make a dish full of food that the public’s hands are in out of the question (and rightly so), so we actually sat around for part of the evening with our frequently washed hands wrapping sugar cookies in cellophane. It was s small thing, but it made me smile this Christmas.

olavf
    Participant

That’s cool Chupa!

It’s 4PM and we’re still waiting for the girls to get here so we can open presents. I know Kat got some camera stuff, but I’ll have to report back later…

orionid
    Participant

Orionid, I bought that same lens earlier this year (except the Canon variant). It’s a fun piece of glass. It was labelled EF-S, but it fits EF mounts too. I hacked the shroud off to take advantage of the FOV on a full-frame… 180 degrees! 360×180 panos in 3 shots. If someone’s standing beside you, they’re likely in frame. Stopped down and focused for about 5 feet, it’s got a practically infinite depth of field. It’s a neat toy.

Yeah, I read a lot of really good reviews on this lens, including two favorable side-by-side comparisons with the Nikkor 10.5. Everything indicated a little soft wide open, but tack sharp from f/4.5 and above, and near infinite-DOF above 11. And two of the reviews I read also mentioned hacking the shroud off for full-frame 180 circular goodness. So, yeah. I’m drooling/excited.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • The topic ‘What did Santa bring you?’ is closed to new replies.