What did Santa bring you?

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill What did Santa bring you?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    LeicaLens
    Participant

Errr, I got myself a 1955 Ricohflex twin reflex camera (8cm , f3.5) for my first foray into medium format. Only 10,000 yen, and it seems to be in good nick.
    The wife was gobsmacked, but sadly not in a good way.
    Hey, I got her something sparkly to make up for it.

sleeping
    Participant

I got one of these: http://www.zipshottripod.com/product.cfm

It’s pretty nifty for smaller cameras (I’m not planning on using the D700 and 80-200 on it any time soon). Also, our overlords at Google were kind enough to send me one of the pilot chrome OS netbooks a few days ago, so I rhink I’ve made out OK 😉

olavf
    Participant

That’s pretty trippy sleeping. I’d like to know how they hold a larger camera – It’d be really nice to have something more portable when I’m out and about.

Big score for me: Kat got me a strobe + stand AND a remote trigger. Sweet! 😀

Curious
    Participant

I got one of these: http://www.zipshottripod.com/product.cfm

It’s pretty nifty for smaller cameras (I’m not planning on using the D700 and 80-200 on it any time soon). Also, our overlords at Google were kind enough to send me one of the pilot chrome OS netbooks a few days ago, so I rhink I’ve made out OK 😉

i cheaped out and got my sister one of these. it’s more for her to leave in the car full time than tote. although at the collapsed size and one pound weight toting it wouldn’t be a problem. i have one similar in both my car and truck. comes in handy on occasion.

ravnostic
    Participant

i cheaped out and got my sister one of these. it’s more for her to leave in the car full time than tote. although at the collapsed size and one pound weight toting it wouldn’t be a problem. i have one similar in both my car and truck. comes in handy on occasion.

I use one from the same maker, but it’s a bit larger. Still easy to tote around, and still cheap, which fits my budget.

While I got a few gifts, the only photo-related stuff was a magazine. Of course, my gift to me was my make-shift tilt lens, and though it didn’t impress anyone here, I still think it’s nifty, and plan to use it in next week’s contest, IAGAP.

olavf
    Participant

Oh, and I got Kat a ring-light for her macro lens. I may have to borrow it 😉

ennuipoet
    Participant

Santa didn’t bring me nothin’! I, however, bought my 50D last night. Ho. Ho. Ho.

Curious
    Participant

While I got a few gifts, the only photo-related stuff was a magazine. Of course, my gift to me was my make-shift tilt lens, and though it didn’t impress anyone here, I still think it’s nifty, and plan to use it in next week’s contest, IAGAP.

i think your tilt shift is neat (and that you made it also) but i’m not a fan of the effect.

i was going to submit photos to a judged show recently but was told by a board member that my stuff was “traditional” and the judge was going for abstract. different strokes for different folks.

Curious
    Participant

Santa didn’t bring me nothin’! I, however, bought my 50D last night. Ho. Ho. Ho.

my new camera kit lens was an 18-55mm and i’d added a 55-300mm but wasn’t happy with the 55mm change point. so i bought myself an 18-105mm refurbished nikon lens and find it much more useful. that was my self gift.

sleeping
    Participant

That’s pretty trippy sleeping. I’d like to know how they hold a larger camera – It’d be really nice to have something more portable when I’m out and about.

It seems like a moderate sized SLR would be OK as long as the lens isn’t too big/heavy – it’s rated to 3 lbs, but you wouldn’t want that much weight too far away from the tripod socket.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

That was pretty much the long and the short of it.

(groan)

I didn’t even catch that until caradoc‘s groan, but now that I have, I have to echo it – groan. 🙂

d’oh! I forgot to mention what my Evil Photography Twin gave me–a Kodak Duaflex I (which is hoodless for great TtV justice), and a Canon 24-105mm L….coffee mug 😉

How is that mug? I’ve been thinking that’d be a pretty neat coffee mug since I first saw them, but I wondered if they look as neat IRL as on the website.

…buncha Steeler’s crap…

Steelers fan, huh? And here I thought we coulda been friends… j/k, I can tolerate Steeler’s fans. Now Eagles fans, well, that’s more along the lines of irreconcilable differences.

The fisheye looks like it could be a lotta fun. I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Big score for me: Kat got me a strobe + stand AND a remote trigger. Sweet! 😀 Oh, and I got Kat a ring-light for her macro lens. I may have to borrow it

Man, I didn’t even consider that advantage of having a photographer spouse. No, honey, really, I bought that for you! 🙂

As for me, I got a Cokin GND filter kit and a Spyder3 monitor calibrator.

Kestrana
    Participant

Man, I didn’t even consider that advantage of having a photographer spouse. No, honey, really, I bought that for you! 🙂

But of course! That’s half the reason I married orionid, all the lenses and filters and antique cameras…. 😉

olavf
    Participant

How is that mug? I’ve been thinking that’d be a pretty neat coffee mug since I first saw them, but I wondered if they look as neat IRL as on the website.

I got the 70-200L travel mug for my birthday. It’s pretty sweet – solid construction, good quality lining, etc. My only complaints are that (1) the lid doesn’t have a drinking hole in it, so I can’t really use it in my car so well, and (2) they didn’t quite get the molding for the mount right. It doesn’t actually mount on the camera.

Man, I didn’t even consider that advantage of having a photographer spouse. No, honey, really, I bought that for you! Smile

Heh. Yeah, it certainly does have certain advantages 😉 But we both have different aspects of photography that interest us. She’s really more into the macro stuff, and I’m more into the people, and studio-type work. But, there is a certain amount of ‘borrowing’ that goes on back and forth…

/plus, it’s a hell of a lot easier to justify purchases. And, she told me that I can get new lights since my incandescent ‘starter’ kit is 4300K and the strobe is halogen, and 5300K…
    //I think I may have a buyer for the old kit though w00

Sweet. I really, really want to get a calibrator soon. Maybe once the takes get done

Elsinore
    Keymaster

d’oh! I forgot to mention what my Evil Photography Twin gave me–a Kodak Duaflex I (which is hoodless for great TtV justice), and a Canon 24-105mm L….coffee mug 😉

It’s a very good repro of the actual lens. My only quibble is that the lens cap top doesn’t actually stay on. It wiggles around and isn’t at all secure, so it’s mostly for looks. My Evil Photography Twin got the Nikon version for another friend of ours, and apparently the top to it actually stays on. The AF/MF and IS buttons actually slide, though if you’re not careful they can pop off. I wouldn’t put it in the dishwasher, but it’s otherwise a very fun mug. Here are pics:

New Lenses 01 by lady_elsinore, on Flickr

New Lenses 02 by lady_elsinore, on Flickr

orionid
    Participant

The one on the right…. does it hold cocoa as well?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • The topic ‘What did Santa bring you?’ is closed to new replies.