What’s in a [user]name?

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill What’s in a [user]name?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    chupathingie
    Participant

. . . don’t make me talk about that.

I get the feeling that a couple drinks would cure that 😉 My geology teacher in 9th grade was the most infectious science zealot you’d ever want to meet. “Geology”, he said, “is universal. Anywhere in the whole of the universe where matter accumulates you will find geology.” Can’t argue with that, and I never stumped him with a sample that I couldn’t identify.

/and yes, you can talk about that…
    //geek

orionid
    Participant

Geology rocks!

olavf
    Participant

I’m rather dull and unimaginative, so there you go.

swampa
    Participant

I come from a great lineage of Swamp’s. My grandpa used to live in an area called Black Swamp, from that he got the nickname “Swampy”. That got passed onto my Dad (even though we didn’t live at Black Swamp anymore) and then passed onto me and my brothers. To avoid confusion at the football club, I got nicknamed “Swampa” instead. One brother got the family nickname and the other took “Swampdogg”

I originally registered Swampa on fark but I forgot the password and couldn’t find a get password link at the time so I just created my current Swampa2 account.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I actually had a different name originally–WenchyWoman–which was a reference to Ren Faire. However, in the long long ago, there was an already-established regular named GalleyWench. It actually created some confusion between us, and I was afraid there might be people intending to vote for her who were accidently voting for me. So I petitioned Drew to change my name to prevent further confusion, and he did (obviously, this was a rare circumstance, because name changes just don’t really happen on Fark). When he asked what I wanted to change it to, I picked Elsinore, which was a name I’ve used as an alt name on a MUD, as well as for Ren Faires and some other situtations. The original inspiration was actually Hamlet’s castle Elsinore, though most people think it’s a reference to Lake Elsinore, CA or the movie Strange Brew and its Elsinore Beer. I do have an Elsinore Beer shirt, but the name didn’t actually come from there 😉

lokisbong
    Participant

I like Norse mythology and always liked the name Loki but fark already had every version I could think of taken until I stuck one of my favorite vices tools on the end. I would also change that but I am not sure what I would use instead so I will keep this name. You all mostly seem to just shorten it to Loki anyway

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’ve always been obsessed with the constellation Orion and felt a weird sort of connection to it. Since the Orionid meteor shower (or any other whatever-id) means “From Orion,” I ran with it. It’s been my most consistently used name out of dozens since middle school in the early 90’s.

Orion has actually been my favorite constellation since I was a kid. Our Mom was ill, and for awhile it was just my Dad and sister and me. He got a telescope one year (think it was a 4″ scope or something), and he started pointing out constellations and planets to us. Orion was always one of the easiest for me to pick out, so it became my favorite. Years later when Zeke and I were leaving California in the dead of winter, Orion would rise in front of us as we drove eastward, and it was like seeing an old friend guiding the way. Years after that when my father passed, I got the 10″ scope he replaced the 4″ scope with. I managed to find the nebula while Orion was setting one night at the end of May of that year, low in the sky and partially obscured by light pollution. But I found that wispy cloud, and it was like being a kid all over again discovering something new with Dad.

/sorry for the mushiness.

ravnostic
    Participant

I’ve always been obsessed with the constellation Orion and felt a weird sort of connection to it. Since the Orionid meteor shower (or any other whatever-id) means “From Orion,” I ran with it. It’s been my most consistently used name out of dozens since middle school in the early 90’s.

Orion has actually been my favorite constellation since I was a kid. Our Mom was ill, and for awhile it was just my Dad and sister and me. He got a telescope one year (think it was a 4″ scope or something), and he started pointing out constellations and planets to us. Orion was always one of the easiest for me to pick out, so it became my favorite. Years later when Zeke and I were leaving California in the dead of winter, Orion would rise in front of us as we drove eastward, and it was like seeing an old friend guiding the way. Years after that when my father passed, I got the 10″ scope he replaced the 4″ scope with. I managed to find the nebula while Orion was setting one night at the end of May of that year, low in the sky and partially obscured by light pollution. But I found that wispy cloud, and it was like being a kid all over again discovering something new with Dad.

/sorry for the mushiness.

+11ty to mushiness, I’ll add some squishiness besides:

When I was 11 (summer, 1980), my uncle gave my family his 60mm telescope, branded by Sears, circa 1960-something (Sears still sold quality stuff at the time).

That scope was my introduction to astronomy, and while the moon and the planets were easy, Orion’s Nebula was pretty much the only deep-sky object I could pick out. (Just try to find the Ring Nebula without GPS controls–it ain’t easy–and I never could).

I have a picture of the nebula (I’ll find it and scan it, if anyone would like) taken with a camera I had from then ’til I got my DSLR, just held up to the lens; it’s poor, it’s blurry, it’s weak–but it’s my first deep-sky photo, and despite it’s flaws, it’s loved for the memories just the same.

Thus began my passion for astronomy, which eventually (as in almost 30 years) lead to my purchase of my Celestron CPC 1100 GPS telescope, my Canon xTi (at the time it was high-ish quality), the adapter mount marrying the two, and my catching a photo that got the 5th place win from the contest “Squares” in some online contest called ‘Farktography’.

http://www.fark.com/comments/5276905?tt=voteresults&startid=60195699

While not my first entry in the contest, that ‘win’ caused me to think that maybe I could learn to take a good photo not by chance, but by design.

This forum community has/is continually taught/teaching me how to do more bettar each week.

Sometime in the 1960’s, a butterfly beat it’s wings over a lens crafting manufacturer in, perhaps, Japan, who was producing 60mm lenses for a company called ‘Sears & Roebuck’… 😉

//edit: Oh, and you can actually see 8 moons; I’d have to dig through the archives for the annotated picture, but there’s one just to the left of the ring, very dim.

SilverStag
    Participant

My name is a really obscure train reference.

orionid
    Participant

Whatever. We all know it’s from Harry Potter’s patronus. 😛

nobigdeal
    Participant

Really? I thought you made knives. http://www.silverstagknives.com/ 😆

orionid
    Participant

Really? I thought you made knives. http://www.silverstagknives.com/ 😆

Oh, great. Something else I want but can’t afford while unemployed.

Morningbreath
    Participant

I picked a dumb name, because I thought it would be memorable. I went to change it, once, and the name I picked was even dumber. http://www.fark.com/users?login=Legs+Akimbo&togglehtml=1 I stayed with the old name. I should not have been allowed to pick my own name.

Morningbreath
    Participant

I picked a dumb name, because I thought it would be memorable. I went to change it, once, and the name I picked was even dumber. http://www.fark.com/users?login=Legs+Akimbo&togglehtml=1 I stayed with the old name. I should not have been allowed to pick my own name.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I don’t know about that, I think “Legs Akimbo” is kinda funny. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • The topic ‘What’s in a [user]name?’ is closed to new replies.