01-02-08 – What a Load of Crop

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 01-02-08 – What a Load of Crop

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Shoot a photo of a scene, crop it to produce a very different scene, and post your crop along with a link to the original. Note: You MUST include a link to the uncropped version with each entry, or your entry will not qualify for this theme.

millera9
    Participant

Man, this one is gonna be fun!

corsec67
    Participant

And I was looking at an example of this yesterday:

Snopes on the Canyon Leap Picture

This is going to be a very fun theme…

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

This is a fantastic theme! I’m going to have fun scouring my photos for something that works…

corsec67
    Participant

Is a rotate+crop allowed for the small image? (Where the big image isn’t rotated at all)
    I am going to assume yes, but I quite often assume wrong…

shep.1972
    Participant

general point of information:

should the crop convey the *opposite* theme of the original – or just a different or misleading theme? any thoughts?

shep.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Is a rotate+crop allowed for the small image? (Where the big image isn’t rotated at all)

Well, rotating and flipping are fair game under the usual rules. Not sure if that’s what Unstoppable Drew had in mind or not, but it doesn’t matter to me either way. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

shep.1972 : I’m not sure there’s any particular requirement that the scene be the opposite or misleading in some way. It could be that you just crop down to remove a bunch of distracting elements at the bottom of your original. I think it just should look like a different photo from the original. Anyone else have an opinion on this one?

corsec67
    Participant

Well, rotating and flipping are fair game under the usual rules. Not sure if that’s what Unstoppable Drew had in mind or not, but it doesn’t matter to me either way. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Ok, I am going to go with that for 1 of my images.

shep.1972 : I’m not sure there’s any particular requirement that the scene be the opposite or misleading in some way. It could be that you just crop down to remove a bunch of distracting elements at the bottom of your original. I think it just should look like a different photo from the original. Anyone else have an opinion on this one?

Well, I don’t know about the requirements, but I am guessing the most votes is going to go to the funniest change from the crop to the big picture. I read it as “be misleading”, so I am making the crop be stuff that you wouldn’t expect it where it is.

shep.1972
    Participant

Well, I don’t know about the requirements, but I am guessing the most votes is going to go to the funniest change from the crop to the big picture. I read it as “be misleading”, so I am making the crop be stuff that you wouldn’t expect it where it is.

that’s basically how i read it, as well –

in the spirit of PBS, back in the day…’one of these things is not like the others…’ 🙂 8 smiling kiddies and 1 with a ‘serve me another helping of peas and i’m gonna snap!’ expression 🙂

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

I agree with corsec67 on both points. Allowing rotation and flipping creates a lots of interesting possibilities, especially if you want to go for an “oh wow, I won’t have thought of that” reaction. Which leads to the second point nicely. 🙂 The example posted of the guy jumping from rock to rock over what appears to be a deadly drop into a canyon is pretty compelling. I’d love to see photos that go for that sort of “mis-leading” interpretation of the original. But it’s also a VERY high bar, so I’m not sure I have anything that qualifies. The other sorts of cropping, to highlight things you don’t see clearly in the original, or leaving out details that obscure the original perspective in amusing ways seem easier to find to me.

I’m looking forward to seeing what people come up with for this one!

jpatten
    Participant

This is going to be interesting. I am already looking through my pictures… And have a few ideas. THough I am a little unsure of if more than just slicing is allowed.

corsec67
    Participant

This is going to be interesting. I am already looking through my pictures… And have a few ideas. THough I am a little unsure of if more than just slicing is allowed.

I think the consensus was that you can rotate+crop, and then of course scale it to fit in 640×1100. I am assuming that levels or anything else is not allowed, except for what is applied to the big version as well, but I am not sure there.

jpatten
    Participant

Thats what I was thinking…. Hmmmm so no re-arranging elements within the picture? or does rotate+crop mean you could rotate a section of the pic, or crop it and then re-insert it into the original image elsewhere?

corsec67
    Participant

Thats what I was thinking…. Hmmmm so no re-arranging elements within the picture? or does rotate+crop mean you could rotate a section of the pic, or crop it and then re-insert it into the original image elsewhere?

No, you can’t cut+paste ever in Farktography. No contest would ever allow that. It happened in the past some, but now it will never be allowed. This contest is a bit different in that the big picture isn’t in the thread, but I am going to assume that the normal rules apply for the big picture: no spot treatments, or selective editing.

What I mean is that you can rotate the original image, and then crop from that to make the “crop”.

I needed to do that because the crop I am using is at a 10 degree angle, and I needed to get that. So I didn’t touch the original, but the crop is at a 10 degree angle from it.

jpatten
    Participant

Ok… that makes sense. I just wanted to be clear on it Hmmmm its a challenge because I KNOW the big picture so whatever I crop I … to myself instantly know what it is.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)
  • The topic ‘01-02-08 – What a Load of Crop’ is closed to new replies.