01-02-08 – What a Load of Crop

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 01-02-08 – What a Load of Crop

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    corsec67
    Participant

Wow did the voting on my entries not go like I expected. I am definitely not complaining, but I would have expected the “Ladies day?” one to get more votes than it did. My “Fountain” entry is doing much better than I expected, which is always a good thing.

jpatten
    Participant

I was hoping mine would do better…. ah well… maybe next time

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

Looking for patterns in results after the fact is always interesting… In this case all the entries with text, with the exception of Marley’s “Sunoco” photo, got 4 votes or less. It looks like people weren’t responding to things you had to read this time. I wouldn’t have predicted that, but the numbers speak for themselves. 🙂

jpatten
    Participant

interesting

Flavivirus
    Participant

I think that’s actually quite easily explained… while the text can make a clever crop, plain text is not visually appealing. I think people were voting for either “clever change in crop to un-cropped picture” or “pretty cropped picture”.

jpatten
    Participant

well I knew at least right now this was not going to be a strong one for me.

anneb
    Participant

Looking for patterns in results after the fact is always interesting… In this case all the entries with text, with the exception of Marley’s “Sunoco” photo, got 4 votes or less. It looks like people weren’t responding to things you had to read this time. I wouldn’t have predicted that, but the numbers speak for themselves. 🙂

In terms of looking for the quick reaction or punchline, text often wins- but in terms of actually looking at the image, text seems to lose. There was an exhibit here recently of some very well done photographs of post-Katrina New Orleans. We were discussing that the ones with words on signs, people spent less time looking at than they spent on the photos without text, even though the non-text parts were just as detailed and poignant. The text seemed to rob people’s attention from the rest of the photo.

So I guess it makes sense for this particular contest, that the text didn’t have as much effect.

anneb
    Participant

Couple thoughts on this week, (it’s great not to be slammed for time, at least for the moment!)

U-man I love all your shots, I should’ve figured out at first glance the aqua-leaper was a toy, but I didn’t! My fave, however, is still the one with the paint-covered kid. The water’s so crisp, but it still manages to be invisible in the original shot.

Corsec67

My “Fountain” entry is doing much better than I expected, which is always a good thing.

I sure didn’t expect that to be a tanker truck- I sort of expected a teeny little hose or something being the cause. Well seen!

Elsinore, my fave of yours is really the big girl/little girl shot, it’s great how much the picture changed even though you retained the bulk of the shot.

KarolA, I like your Koi crop- it’s puzzling, but I really like the full photo… I have problems with those Koi at the arboretum, getting them nicely in focus, without falling in. Nice (-:

KarolA
    Participant

Thanks anneb! I took quite a few pics of those koi thinking the whole time that I’d end up in the pond among them. I still don’t know how I managed to stay ashore. (I’m not terribly well-balanced. Ahem.)

I also fell for U-man’s cropped shot when I first looked at it. And laughed when I looked at the original. I thought it captured the spirit of these week’s theme very nicely.

This one was fun!

jpatten
    Participant

There was some definitely good shots in this contest and better imagination than I would have thought of.

But I think I will do better in the next one. I have several shots I really like. I just need to decide which ones will get posted.

Mr.BobDobalita
    Participant

I probably should have saved my pics for a later contest…. ack! bringing up the rear of the thread. Oh well.

We need some cute kid themed contests, I’ll do good at those forsure!

jpatten
    Participant

well I have the cutest kids 😉 … but I may have a small bias

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Thank you, anneb! I also liked KarolA‘s poi shot and U-Man‘s whale shot, and I wouldn’t have guessed that your guy was really a scorekeeper for baseball. I liked the shots that were surprising when I saw the wider view, and shots that were really strong both as a crop and as the original image. Some really creative stuff this week, folks.

We need some cute kid themed contests, I’ll do good at those forsure!

We’ve actually had a cute kid contest before, but it’s been awhile.

jpatten
    Participant

i have now seen several pictures that I think would have done MUCH better….
    Of course several I took after the contest was over….

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

Quick question about FSM… The data for this contest has been out of synch with the Fark thread all day. How often does it update? For instance, U-Man’s winning humpback has 37 votes on FSM but 39 on the Fark results page. It’s been like that since early this afteroon. I’m sure it will catch up, but I was just curious about the timing.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 65 total)
  • The topic ‘01-02-08 – What a Load of Crop’ is closed to new replies.