01-04-12 – Desolation

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 01-04-12 – Desolation

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Ennuipoet: I’m not sure your 2012-01-04 08:02:26 PM is really a “landscape” per se, since it’s composed pretty much of a singular subject vs an expanse.

Curious
    Participant

mine don’t reek of desperation (ooops they do) desolation but after a few weeks of having nada it’s nice to post again.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Love that tree bee, U-Man.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Ennuipoet: I’m not sure your 2012-01-04 08:02:26 PM is really a “landscape” per se, since it’s composed pretty much of a singular subject vs an expanse.

Mopsy: Same with your chair at 2012-01-04 08:08:42 PM…

Plamadude30k
    Participant

mine don’t reek of desperation (ooops they do) desolation but after a few weeks of having nada it’s nice to post again.

You took the words right outta my mouth. Or off my fingertips, really.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Technically true, I suppose, but I would argue it fits the intent of the theme. If I had taken a photo of just the handle of the door, or the door was part of a smaller model I would be inclined to say it doesn’t meet the theme. In this case the door against the flat white of the wall implies the emptiness, the lack of adornments, contextual surroudings placing it in a larger enviroment imply the emptiness goes on and on…thus desolation. It is in that grey area between landscape and, still life I guess. I will bow to the will of the crowd on this one, if you good people don’t think it meets the theme I won’t dispute it’s deletion.

Farktographer
    Participant

iwanttoeatyourchildren‘s soft focus – has anyone ever tried that effect with simple nylon? I’ve been tempted, but worry about the weird looks I might get raiding a pantyhose section of the local ladies’ store by myself 😉

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Technically true, I suppose, but I would argue it fits the intent of the theme. If I had taken a photo of just the handle of the door, or the door was part of a smaller model I would be inclined to say it doesn’t meet the theme. In this case the door against the flat white of the wall implies the emptiness, the lack of adornments, contextual surroudings placing it in a larger enviroment imply the emptiness goes on and on…thus desolation. It is in that grey area between landscape and, still life I guess. I will bow to the will of the crowd on this one, if you good people don’t think it meets the theme I won’t dispute it’s deletion.

I guess I was going off what Kestrana posted about what would be in-theme. I do think there will be casual folks who feel something might fit the theme name–Desolation–even if it doesn’t fit the entire letter of the description calling for landscapes.

Kestrana
    Participant
    Kestrana
    Participant

I’m ok with letting the voters sort out Mopsy and ennuipoet‘s entries.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

‘kay, thanks for the ruling, Kes

ennuipoet
    Participant

Always appreciated, and to Elsinore as well for keeping me honest! 😀

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

The starkness of the black & white works well on that first one, Kes.

Some bees (and a link to my A’s for those who just can’t wait) here.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Always appreciated, and to Elsinore as well for keeping me honest! 😀

n/p 😉

mopsy
    Participant

Elsinore, please delete my chair entry. I entered another photo of an old beaver dam. Like others, I guess I focused on the idea of abandoned and desolate rather than landscape. Hope this fits the theme better.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 73 total)
  • The topic ‘01-04-12 – Desolation’ is closed to new replies.