01-04-12 – Desolation

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 01-04-12 – Desolation

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    CauseISaidSo
    Participant

See, I could imagine an urban “landscape” that just screams desolation, something full of broken/empty/abandoned buildings with nary a soul in sight. None of mine are like that, but I’d argue that it fits “desolation.”

But as Yugoboy said, I don’t want to speak for Kes, so perhaps she’ll clarify for us.

fluffybunny
    Participant

See, I could imagine an urban “landscape” that just screams desolation, something full of broken/empty/abandoned buildings with nary a soul in sight.

Kind of reminiscent of the photos coming out of Best Korea?

Kestrana
    Participant

An urban landscape can definitely fit this theme, but I did intend it to be landscapes, not close ups or portraits. If I had a chance to go to Detroit for this theme, I would.

geom_00
    Participant

This may be getting nit-picky, but figured I would ask anyway.

I have a really good shot from when we were all out in Vegas. Problem is, it is in a National Park and there are a line of cars by a place to park, take pictures, and hike.

No problem if this is not allowed, I have a few other ones that easily fit this theme.

ravnostic
    Participant

Bejebus! It’s 7am, I haven’t selected yet!! AND I have to work tonight. God help me.

kashari
    Participant

An urban landscape can definitely fit this theme, but I did intend it to be landscapes, not close ups or portraits. If I had a chance to go to Detroit for this theme, I would.

Kestrana, I’m still a bit confused as to whether we’re looking more for ‘desolate, dead, nothing to be seen here’ or ‘remote, no one around, living vegetation, can be pretty’ types of things.

Desolate to me is ‘ugly’, while a winter scene or the desert can be beautiful.

Kestrana
    Participant

This may be getting nit-picky, but figured I would ask anyway.

I have a really good shot from when we were all out in Vegas. Problem is, it is in a National Park and there are a line of cars by a place to park, take pictures, and hike.

No problem if this is not allowed, I have a few other ones that easily fit this theme.

I’m not really sure what your question is here. There’s nothing in your description that screams out to me that it would not fit the theme.

Kestrana, I’m still a bit confused as to whether we’re looking more for ‘desolate, dead, nothing to be seen here’ or ‘remote, no one around, living vegetation, can be pretty’ types of things.

Desolation is just the theme name. This theme is about landscapes that imply remoteness.

Your picture should:

-be a landscape, meaning it should show a scene, not an individual or object
      – try to evoke a feeling of being remote, distant, separated from the rest of society. This could be interpreted many different ways – as being barren, abandoned, pristine and untouched by man or simply rural.
      -Your picture can include people and objects.

Three examples: A bustling Saharan oasis fills frame left while the lone and windswept sands stretch off to the right.

A white farmhouse sits far away, surrounded by wintery fields.

A person stands silhouetted on the edge of a precipice, looking down into a valley.

Yugoboy
    Participant

I’m not kestrana but let me re-post the description:

Landscapes that imply remoteness, such as deserts, swamps, bare trees, winter scenery.

I’ve bolded the parts that I paid most attention to when shooting and selecting pictures to use. I’m nowhere near a desert, I’ve got a few decent swamp photos from the Adirondacks, but they don’t really imply remoteness (and were taken with the old Olympus).

I do hope 2 of mine are beautiful, while the third is somewhat experimental in terms of trying to get votes with it.

Hell, one of my pretty ones depends on bare trees for its effect, as there’s a road to the right with cars.

I hope this helps (although I’m not kestrana and can be over-ruled or ignored).

kashari
    Participant

Ok, thanks Kestrana & Yugoboy. I was getting hung up on the Desolation part of it.

Funny how our minds pick up one word to focus on. Like in the Barren Macro theme; my mind equated ‘barren’ to ‘landscape’, so that’s the kind of pictures I made – macros of things that had a barren landscape look to them and then wondered why everyone else did close-ups of ‘regular’ things. 😆

orionid
    Participant

Desolation is just the theme name. This theme is about landscapes that imply remoteness.

Your picture should:

-be a landscape, meaning it should show a scene, not an individual or object
      – try to evoke a feeling of being remote, distant, separated from the rest of society. This could be interpreted many different ways – as being barren, abandoned, pristine and untouched by man or simply rural.
      -Your picture can include people and objects.

Three examples: A bustling Saharan oasis fills frame left while the lone and windswept sands stretch off to the right.

A white farmhouse sits far away, surrounded by wintery fields.

A person stands silhouetted on the edge of a precipice, looking down into a valley.

Crews’ mess on a deployed submarine?

/I keed.

linguine
    Participant

Would something like this be landscapy enough? http://www.flickr.com/photos/guine/3282788952/in/set-72157613827898253

U-Man
    Participant

I’m glad I came back here. I was thinking about using something like these –

http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/fark/door_9713b.jpg
    http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/fark/abandoned_4623b.jpg
    http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/fark/punkin_3919b.jpg

Now just consider them as good bad-examples. 🙂

Kestrana
    Participant

Sure linguine

U-Man
    Participant

1 – I’m pretty sure that my moonlight on snow is new (and I think I have one more in reserve)

2 – Here are some Bees that are just too happy to be desolate –

http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/fark/tree_4227b.jpg
    http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/fark/Farm_4048b.jpg (I can almost feel how HOT is was that evening…)
    http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/fark/field_5216b.jpg

Elsinore
    Keymaster
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 73 total)
  • The topic ‘01-04-12 – Desolation’ is closed to new replies.