01-04-12 – Desolation

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 01-04-12 – Desolation

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Landscapes that imply remoteness, such as deserts, swamps, bare trees, winter scenery.

Another quality theme by kestrana!

olavf
    Participant

Cool. I forget if people are allowed or not though.

ravnostic
    Participant

Oh, I’ve been waiting, not so patiently for this one! Yay!

lokisbong
    Participant

Oh, I’ve been waiting, not so patiently for this one! Yay!

Me Too!!! I am surrounded by places that work for this one. I have about a thousand pictures to choose from already. lol

Kestrana
    Participant

People are cool though the picture should be a landscape not a portrait.

cameraflage
    Participant

Its gonna be hard to whittle it down to only three.

olavf
    Participant

Kestrana Good to know- might have one or two that fit that.

Curious
    Participant

living here the swamps aren’t remote. but i may use one or two anyway.

Farktographer
    Participant

I remember there was a reason I wanted to photograph the desert before I left California…damn, need to go exploring here instead.

Farktographer
    Participant

Can a large indoor room be considered landscape, if it gives the feeling of desolation? How desolate is “remote”? (i.e. if I have a photo of a tree with leaves, a tree without, and a landscape with nothing else, is that considered desolate enough?) Can desolate mean very much alive but without people? Struggling to narrow this one down for some reason. When I think “desolate” I don’t necessarily think desert and swamps – I think forests and meadows, too.

lokisbong
    Participant

I have a few hundred bees for this one and a few shots planned for tonight if the weather cooperates. Way to many to list but after a day and a half of picking two of them will be from the last 24 hours. Especialy if it is clear at sunset.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Yeah, the “implied remoteness” was throwing me, too. I don’t know if mine necessarily imply remoteness, but they fit definitions 1, 2, and/or 3:

des?o?late

1. barren or laid waste; devastated: a treeless, desolate landscape.
    2. deprived or destitute of inhabitants; deserted; uninhabited.
    3. solitary; lonely: a desolate place.
    4. having the feeling of being abandoned by friends or by hope; forlorn.
    5. dreary; dismal; gloomy: desolate prospects.
    lokisbong
    Participant

I have a truck pticture I just uploaded to flickr that fits 2 and 4 I thought when I took the picture.

edited for spelling. doh!

Farktographer
    Participant

Yeah, the “implied remoteness” was throwing me, too. I don’t know if mine necessarily imply remoteness, but they fit definitions 1, 2, and/or 3:

des?o?late

1. barren or laid waste; devastated: a treeless, desolate landscape.
    2. deprived or destitute of inhabitants; deserted; uninhabited.
    3. solitary; lonely: a desolate place.
    4. having the feeling of being abandoned by friends or by hope; forlorn.
    5. dreary; dismal; gloomy: desolate prospects.

This is what I’ve been staring at…a meadow in the middle of a forest, full of grass and green, could be both remote and desolate, but I don’t know if that’s fitting for this theme or not. A dilapidated and empty building could be remote and desolate, but I also don’t know if that’s theme-fitting. Any clarifications, Kes?

Yugoboy
    Participant

Not to speak for the contest submitter, but the first word in the description is “Landscapes”, so the meadow might, but the building might not, depending on how it’s shot… if it’s small enough in the frame to be a part of a larger landscape, I’d say “yea” but if the building fills the frame (or takes up a vast majority of it) I’d be less inclined to be supportive.

But that’s just me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 73 total)
  • The topic ‘01-04-12 – Desolation’ is closed to new replies.