01-04-12 – Desolation

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 01-04-12 – Desolation

Viewing 13 posts - 61 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    nobigdeal
    Participant

-lots of Newbs and Kotters this week.

HA! Took me a minute….Kotters…LOL!

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

That’s too bad, Zero. But I’m gonna need you to coordinate with zincprincess – when y’all both sit out a contest, I get no Z in my pager for the Entries by Contestant and that’s just not right. 😆

kashari
    Participant

I think for being casual folks, since we’ve allowed some other stuff from regulars to stand, we should allow the other stuff as well. Overall, I think the thread stayed well on-theme.

Guess it’s kind of an interesting study in how sometimes people cue mostly off the theme name and have a different take-away from it than from the theme description.

Yeah, now I wish I’d stuck with ‘desolate’ rather than ‘remote’, need to listen to my first instincts…

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Congrats to orionid on the individual win and to U-Man on the combined win. The Weekly Reports post has been updated with the latest stats. I’m not even going to bother with the combined vote results for this one.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Congrats to orionid this week, and to hartman5000 for the top “Funniest” vote among photos.

CauseISaidSo–it may be early yet,and we’re just coming out of the holidays, but are you seeing anything different/trending with our voting?

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

In what aspect, Elsinore? This one pretty much followed the average curve almost exactly. Our average total votes since 10/27/2010 was 1909 and this one ended at 1923.

I did find the difference in participation and voting for the seasons greetings contest between this year and last year a bit strange. This year the contest actually started a day earlier (relative to Christmas) but we had about half of the contestants and entries and about a third of the votes of the previous year. Not sure what’s up with that.

The last average or better contests were Graves & That’s No Moon, but I attributed that to contest topics and time of year.

Kestrana
    Participant

Figures the shot I took that inspired me to suggest this theme wound up placing 126th. 😛

Elsinore
    Keymaster

In what aspect, Elsinore? This one pretty much followed the average curve almost exactly. Our average total votes since 10/27/2010 was 1909 and this one ended at 1923.

I guess mostly this. Wasn’t sure if the new voting scheme was changing our vote totals, and it really probably is too early to look at that. If it looks like our voting is changing substantially, particularly in a way that’s detrimental to Farktography, we certainly should present that information to Drew.

Edited to add: It may be that we need to look at more “average” themes–themes that aren’t obviously skewed toward serious or funny entries like Desolation (serious) and Bacon (funny)–to determine if the voting categories are affecting votes in general, if “Best” votes are down, but “Funniest” totals aren’t commensurate with the decrease, etc.

Yoyo
    Participant

Great shots this week. Unfortunately, I didn’t get to add my 2 cents, since I was on the road from KC to Houston to home. I did get some nice shots of desolate places though. Luckily, I can use most of them for the “stoned” theme coming up soon.

Kestrana
    Participant

I’ll be really interested to see what button people use for “bacon”…speaking of, should we regulars use the Funny button?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I just don’t know…I mean, I think the theme is definitely more geared to the funny, but does that mean the best entry is judged based on its merits beyond the funny or that it combines both funny and something else? It will be interesting to see what happens with voting this week…

Farktographer
    Participant

Eh…I treat the “best” button like the old “vote” button and don’t really differentiate between the two.

linguine
    Participant

Eh…I treat the “best” button like the old “vote” button and don’t really differentiate between the two.

I’ve found myself doing that for the photoshop contests too now even though they tend to have more funny entries.

Viewing 13 posts - 61 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • The topic ‘01-04-12 – Desolation’ is closed to new replies.