01-18-12 – Straight Out of Camera

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 01-18-12 – Straight Out of Camera

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 132 total)
  • Author
    Farktographer
    Participant

What’s a library? Do they have one in the UK?

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

There’s a fairly regular Farktographer named “JenTheLibrarian” that’s in the UK, so I’d have to guess that you’ve got at least one over there, Farktographer. 😉

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Elsinore wrote:
    Any subject but no post-processing allowed, not even cropping. (Resizing a file to fit Fark’s data requirements is fine.)

So I’d assume that a RAW format couldn’t be adjusted, just converted to JPEG…correct?

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

So I’d assume that a RAW format couldn’t be adjusted, just converted to JPEG…correct?

That’s actually a question I had as well – what does SOOC mean when shooting RAW? Aside from adjusting curves (obviously a no-no for this contest), anything else that could be changed in post could also be set in-camera so that the JPEG SOOC would be the same as the post-processed JPEG converted from RAW.

ravnostic
    Participant

That’s actually a question I had as well – what does SOOC mean when shooting RAW? Aside from adjusting curves (obviously a no-no for this contest), anything else that could be changed in post could also be set in-camera so that the JPEG SOOC would be the same as the post-processed JPEG converted from RAW.

My take on that was that I’d better set my camera accordingly–before taking the shot. There’s been a lot of bracket shots going on in this region… 😆

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

CillarySpasm and CauseISaidSo I’m not sure I understand your question. The whole point of this theme is to showcase photographs where the “process” ends at the point you press the shutter. If you are saying that people could “cheat” somehow by shooting in RAW and making adjustments that will not show up in the EXIF … I’m not too worried, because cheaters are gonna cheat. There are no doubt, other ways you could cheat for this theme, but as usual I think the majority will play by the rules.

In the SOOC Flickr group I belong to, posters are required to make their EXIF data accesible, in case the modadmins want to check. I thought about maybe trying that for this contest, but it would not work for a number of reasons (which I wont go into for the sake of brevity).

I was thinking of adding a little disclaimer to the description, something like: “NB: Please list any special equipment (lenses,filters, etc) or techniques (light painting, in-camera multiple exposure, etc) used when capturing your images.”

Sound good?

sleeping
    Participant

CillarySpasm and CauseISaidSo I’m not sure I understand your question. The whole point of this theme is to showcase photographs where the “process” ends at the point you press the shutter.

I think the intent here is fairly clear, but as a purely technical matter that actually *can’t* happen with raw files (or anything scanned from film for that matter). A raw file in most cases isn’t actually a displayable image in it’s native format (previews and such are generally based on an embedded low-res JPEG). Converting a raw file to a usable image always involves some degree of post-processing even if you just take the default settings in your converter (and the output results will depend on the converter used).

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yeah what sleeping said. I always shoot RAW+jpg; for this theme, I just figured I’d be using the camera-processed jpg and bracket as needed.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I was saying pretty much what sleeping said with the extension that almost everything (aside from curves) you can do in your RAW-to-JPG converter could also be set in-camera so that the JPG that comes SOOC has those settings already applied, which I think kinda muddles the intent of SOOC. So, you could have a SOOC JPG that’s highly saturated, overly sharpened and greatly contrast-enhanced, which would meet the contest requirements technically but not in intent. Bottom line, I understand the intent, I guess I was just pointing out the possibilities for discussion.

// Don’t mind me, it’s all likely to be moot for me anyway as I don’t foresee time to get out and shoot new until mid Feb at the earliest.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Oh I agree. On my camera, I can set contrast, saturation ,sharpness, and even specific “styles” like landscape or portraiture that create a very specific “look” in the final jpg. Also not sure that’s in the “spirit” of the theme, but it’s in the letter of it if someone does something tweaking those parameters in-camera.

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

Oh I agree. On my camera, I can set contrast, saturation ,sharpness, and even specific “styles” like landscape or portraiture that create a very specific “look” in the final jpg. Also not sure that’s in the “spirit” of the theme, but it’s in the letter of it if someone does something tweaking those parameters in-camera.

I don’t see why not? Play with the white balance, use your in-camera “film simulator”, whatever “presets” or “styles” you may have … its all good.

Participants with fancy cameras and equipment will have a bit of an advantage, sure … but I can imagine someone winning with a point-and-shoot image that has good lighting and an interesting composition.

The spirit of the theme is similar but different to “Tricky” (ie “I can’t believe its not Photoshop!”), but “trick photography” to me implies an optical illusion of some sort.

Didn’t know that about the RAW format. My current camera exports them as .RAF files which are viewable.

Curious
    Participant

Oh good… this one I’ve got ideas and stuff for… now I’ve just got longer to procrastinate on the sleeves.

I’m gonna shoot this one on film and then past the film canister to my monitor!

I am that hard core! 😛

Curious
    Participant

btw that is Heamer’s image from several years ago.

lokisbong
    Participant

btw that is Heamer’s image from several years ago.

LOL! I haven’t seen nearly as much from him lately. He used to be in every single photoshop contest it seemed.

U-Man
    Participant

Hey ZE, I asked a question over on the sleeve-faced thread but it looks like there’s more action here.

Could I print an album cover from the internets and use that in my photo? As I said there, if the answer is “no”, I’m cool with that.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 132 total)
  • The topic ‘01-18-12 – Straight Out of Camera’ is closed to new replies.