01-18-12 – Straight Out of Camera

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 01-18-12 – Straight Out of Camera

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 132 total)
  • Author
    Zero_Exponent
    Participant

Woot! Just finished posting my pics. Lots of great stuff, lots of paticipants … hopefully there will be lots of votes too, and then everybody will be happy.

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Man, I almost forgot to post today. Working at 14,000′ makes me a total idiot.

Good stuff out there this week, everybody!

staplermofo
    Participant

I’m shocked no one spoofed the straight out of Compton cover, or had something flying out of a camera.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

FWIW, I’m seeing 12 entries where the images are busted and just the hostname is displayed. That usually means Fark’s servers can’t load the image links I think… Of those, 9 of them are for Flickr accounts so it might be something wrong with a part of that service.

Then again, it might be my WONDERFUL (and yes I do mean that in the most sarcastic way possible) Internet provider, Comcast. Since they have an exclusive deal to provide Internet service to people suffering in hell, I’m assuming they had to de-prioritize service to the living to meet the minimum SLA for people in eternal torment.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Might have been just a hiccup. There was one of aspidites‘s shots that had dropped, but it was an image swap (sometimes Photobucket does that randomly and confuses things). I’ve restored that entry, though there’s a chance it could drop again.

Yugoboy
    Participant

Wow… a veritable butt-load of images this week!

Many many awesome shots.

Has anyone done the research to see what kinds of contests draw the most people? In the back of my head, I kind of thought this theme was inviting a large turnout. Apparently the non-thinking part of my brain knows people better than the thinking part does.

Farktographer
    Participant

Wow… a veritable butt-load of images this week!

Many many awesome shots.

Has anyone done the research to see what kinds of contests draw the most people? In the back of my head, I kind of thought this theme was inviting a large turnout. Apparently the non-thinking part of my brain knows people better than the thinking part does.

I think the more specific the theme, the less participation. The casual farktographers probably won’t go out to take photos on a weekly basis with a theme in mind, but then something like this comes along and it’s a free-for-all.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I tend to agree. I really like this theme as the counterpoint to Software Hootenanny.

U-Man
    Participant

Thanks for the Bees comments.

I made the wrong choices this week. My brain has been all discombobulated with work shiat. I had the squirrel down as one of my entries from the time I saw it on my camera’s LCD (Mopsy can attest to it ’cause I took it at her house) and I had a similar thought with the horses. Then I suddenly changed my mind the day of the contest with time pressures to get stuff done because I was meeting people after work. I know, I know, I KNOW not to do that. :/ The difficulty of the creepy baby head shot without any post-processing is either too subtle or just too crappy. 🙂

But I do like a lot of entries this week. And I like the “feel” of this theme. While it is my opinion that post-processing is a creative tool (that I personally like to use) I also like the…honesty (for lack of a better word)…of these pics. Good stuff y’all.

Kestrana
    Participant

Yugoboy we’ve done lots of research (sort of) trying to determine what themes draw the most participants.

1. Wide open themes where any subject is usable
    2. Common topics like landscape, architecture, flowers, animals
    3. Seasonal variance – January & February we get a lot of participation as people like Barracuda have new cameras or new resolutions and join up. Some stay, some trickle away. Also, almost no one has vacation in those months. Once Spring Break, summer hit we see a little bit of a down turn, then October is a high participation month again and December is our worst month.

SilverStag
    Participant

rav, the spork pic is sheer brilliance! I was stunned when I finally figured out how you did it.

kudos!

Barracuda
    Participant

Good points Kestrana. I plan to stick around! (as if I need yet another place to kill time on the interwebs…)

To be fair, two of my three entries were taken over the summer during my vacation to Tahoe (when I bought the first of my two newer cameras). Generally a more photographic place than north Texas, but that’ll just mean I have to become a better photographer to bring out the best of the theme and subjects at hand. Also, some of my older shots that I really like, I couldn’t recall if I’d tweaked or not, so to be fair to the theme I selected photos I knew hadn’t been altered beyond the beer-fog in my memory.

Great photos all, it’s going to make me step up my game. I need to hit the streets for a monthly photography contest on another forum that I frequent, and also in hopes of getting some material for “Strange”.

// I’ve tried to remove my avatar since that eye was creeping even me out, let’s see if it works…

…. nope.

kashari
    Participant

// I’ve tried to remove my avatar since that eye was creeping even me out, let’s see if it works…

…. nope.

😆 Oh, don’t do it because of what I said, it’s funny along with being weird.

Yoyo
    Participant

Anyone want a mod to post a totally black (or white, to match Fark) photo (with voting enabled) in solidarity?

I seriously considered posting an all black or all white (under or over exposed) pic just to show that sometimes (ok, a lot of the time) crap comes straight out of my camera.

On the other hand, given the difficulty that complying with this theme and what it all means that several people seem to have encountered, I think I’ll propose a new theme: “The green square makes the best pictures.” I.e. all entries must be made using a fully automatic mode But then people with start arguing about auto-focus, since on some makes, that is independent of the “green square”.

Barracuda
    Participant

…. nope.

😆 Oh, don’t do it because of what I said, it’s funny along with being weird.

It wasn’t because of what you said, it really was creeping me out too!

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 132 total)
  • The topic ‘01-18-12 – Straight Out of Camera’ is closed to new replies.