01-18-12 – Straight Out of Camera

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 01-18-12 – Straight Out of Camera

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 132 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Any subject but no post-processing allowed, not even cropping. (Resizing a file to fit Fark’s data requirements is fine.)

This theme coming straight to you from ZeroExponent–thanks!

(NOTE: The previous theme for this week (Sleeve-faced) was deferred until spring at ZeroExponent’s request)

orionid
    Participant

Oh, God. Time to start digging through Goodwill.

ravnostic
    Participant

Oh, God. Time to start digging through Goodwill.

“Hah!” (That’s a Phyllis Diller quote).

I bought mine months ago. But how to use them creatively? Not yet sure.

lokisbong
    Participant

The local thrift shop has the most dismal collection of records it is not even funny. 97% of the record sleeves I found there either didn’t have pictures ala best of Burt Bacharach type o crap and religious records that were so worn out you couldn’t make out what the picture was originally. Still searching for friends with an old collection I can dig through.

kashari
    Participant

So now that I looked at the Flickr stream which was linked in the Theme thread: http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=sleeveface#page=1, all I can envision is the body part thing. Can someone help me get out of that corner & give some examples as to how else you could create an ‘illusion’? Does this mean you can make a scene type of thing using toys or something like that?

Also, are we only supposed to use one cover per shot?

ravnostic
    Participant

Kashari; I have a sunset album cover I’d like to find a matching sunset for, and I have a Jerry Falwell (of all people!) album cover with a graveyard scene that I’m planning on using. The Phyllis Dillar album only comes out if I decide to do drag.

//I don’t do drag.

olavf
    Participant

Can I, uhhh, borrow that Rav?

/kidding. I’ve got two boxes of albums to go through.

ennuipoet
    Participant

I must admit, this one is going to be a poser for me. I sold off ALL of my albums, tapes and CD years ago, everything is digital now. Somehow, the album cover art on my ipod just won’t do for this theme. I suppose I will hit the second hand album store here in the City, but then what to do with the album once I’ve shot? I’ve too much crap piled around my apartment as it is.

I will definitely have to keep an eye on the trash bins, you would be surprised what turns up on the curb in Manhattan.

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

lucky me I have 900 LPs to sort through to find ones that will work. Although I do have an idea for one, I still need to find two more.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

At the request of ZeroExponent, Sleeve-faced has been deferred until the spring. In its place is “Straight Out of Camera”, which should be much easier to prepare for with shorter time.

Yugoboy
    Participant

Oh good… this one I’ve got ideas and stuff for… now I’ve just got longer to procrastinate on the sleeves.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Oh good… this one I’ve got ideas and stuff for… now I’ve just got longer to procrastinate on the sleeves.

I’m gonna shoot this one on film and then past the film canister to my monitor!

I am that hard core! 😛

kashari
    Participant

Kashari; I have a sunset album cover I’d like to find a matching sunset for, and I have a Jerry Falwell (of all people!) album cover with a graveyard scene that I’m planning on using. The Phyllis Dillar album only comes out if I decide to do drag.

//I don’t do drag.

Ok, thanks Rav!

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

The sleeve-face theme is postponed, but to answer Kashari‘s questions–yes you may use toys or what-have-you to make a miniature scene or diorama. Fantastic idea, BTW … may try one like that myself.

The use of more than one cover is definitely allowed. In the 70s KISS released four solo albums, each album cover featuring a big headshot of the band member in full makeup. I have a vague idea for a photo, but I doubt I can track down the albums (I’m not willing to spend more than $10 on props, for this or any other Farktography contest–self imposed rule) and then find the four models to be the bodies. Anyone who does do more than one, I will personally take the “difficulty factor” into consideration when voting!

I feel for those who don’t have access to a large record collection. The cheapest option is to find a music collector and ask them if you can go through it. There are luckily a couple of annual record sales that come to our town every January/Feb. All records under $3, thousands to choose from. I plan on going this year for sure.

Libraries are another (free!) way to go, if your local one has CDs or whatever, you might be able to find some good covers you could borrow.

lokisbong
    Participant

Holy smoke! Why didn’t I think of the library? Thanks Zero_Exponent

edited for fat finger issues. lol

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 132 total)
  • The topic ‘01-18-12 – Straight Out of Camera’ is closed to new replies.