01-18-12 – Straight Out of Camera

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 01-18-12 – Straight Out of Camera

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 132 total)
  • Author
    Zero_Exponent
    Participant

Hey ZE, I asked a question over on the sleeve-faced thread but it looks like there’s more action here.

Could I print an album cover from the internets and use that in my photo? As I said there, if the answer is “no”, I’m cool with that.

Sorry about that, U-man. I really need to visit the Themes section more often. I’ll copy the response over there just in case.

I can’t think of a reason this would not be OK. I want to keep this as open as possible, so unless anyone else has objections, that is fine by me. It gives lokisbong (or anyone with limited access to covers) another low-cost option. Hell, I might be able to pull off that KISS idea now! The only restriction I would add: please print the photo the same size as either a record (31.5cm square) or a CD cover (12cm square).

lokisbong
    Participant

Yeah I have been waiting for the answer to U-Mans question also. I could totally print up 2 sheets that overlap to make a whole cover if the cd size doesn’t look right.

ennuipoet
    Participant

I joked about this earlier, but now that I am on the edge of picking shots I have to ask: Film is OK for this correct?

I know that sounds silly, but if the spirit of the theme is untouched images, the very act of how I developed the roll and the scanner settings have a huge impact on the final image. A close interpretation of this theme could read that only digital images completely unchanged from the instant of shutter are the over reaching idea.

Now that I think about this, it’s fascinating, only with digital technology can we actually do this. In film there are dozens of different things one can do between the click and the wash to alter the image, all before the image is actually visible to the human eye.

Cool!

orionid
    Participant

I have a few tricks up my sleeve for this one.

Farktographer
    Participant

I joked about this earlier, but now that I am on the edge of picking shots I have to ask: Film is OK for this correct?

I know that sounds silly, but if the spirit of the theme is untouched images, the very act of how I developed the roll and the scanner settings have a huge impact on the final image. A close interpretation of this theme could read that only digital images completely unchanged from the instant of shutter are the over reaching idea.

Now that I think about this, it’s fascinating, only with digital technology can we actually do this. In film there are dozens of different things one can do between the click and the wash to alter the image, all before the image is actually visible to the human eye.

Cool!

Film is okay as long as it’s not developed. Have fun!

Seriously though, I’m sure film is fine.

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

I can imagine!

ennuipoet film is welcome, but the submissions should showcase composition + camera settings as opposed to darkroom techniques.

ennuipoet
    Participant

I can imagine!

ennuipoet film is welcome, but the submissions should showcase composition + camera settings as opposed to darkroom techniques.

Check, the ones I’ve selected are clean of all post processing other than the reversing from negative to positive.

staplermofo
    Participant

I read that as pickling shots, immediately googled pickling film and spent a good 15 minutes trying to figure out if that was some hip alternative wash process in film developing, or if you were going to transfer the image while pickling sheet steel and have the shades of gray and such come from rust and various things other than how I could start reading better than a 2nd grader.

ennuipoet
    Participant

I read that as pickling shots, immediately googled pickling film and spent a good 15 minutes trying to figure out if that was some hip alternative wash process in film developing, or if you were going to transfer the image while pickling sheet steel and have the shades of gray and such come from rust and various things other than how I could start reading better than a 2nd grader.

If you can develop with coffee, and you can, I can see thinking developing with Pickle Juice is plausible.

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

Yes, but can you develop with Mountain Dew, that’s what I wanna know? I already know you can dissolve a mouse with it 😉

If anyone is hurtin for ideas (or you are bored and want to see some sweet images), here’s a Flickr gallery of some SOOC shots:

hindered view

Yoyo
    Participant

I’ve got the CR2 (Canon Raw) plug-in for Irfan View, so I can look at the raw format images from my camera just as easily as the JPGs. As it is, I hardly ever take the time to post process aside from resizing for uploading and the occasional crop.

ravnostic
    Participant

It’s weird; I keep thinking “I should check those shots and see if I can tweek them better”, then I remember the theme, and then I sit there and 2nd guess myself over the A’s, B’s, and C’s.

U-Man
    Participant

This theme is killing me. For me, part of the fun and creativity is in post processing. I so want to tweak these pics just a little bit

/but I promise I’ll just open a jpeg, resize it for Fark and post.
    //and my wife and I tease and jokingly fib so much that we had to develop the “I promise” thing while we were dating. You can’t lie even a little if you promise. 🙂
    ///like Elsinore, I shoot in jpeg/RAW double-save.

lokisbong
    Participant

This theme is killing me. For me, part of the fun and creativity is in post processing. I so want to tweak these pics just a little bit

/but I promise I’ll just open a jpeg, resize it for Fark and post.
    //and my wife and I tease and jokingly fib so much that we had to develop the “I promise” thing while we were dating. You can’t lie even a little if you promise. 🙂

I started doing the same thing once I got used to my Canon Rebel. Neither of my point n shoot Canons do Raw files.

Edited to say I only meant to quote the last line.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

For me, part of the fun and creativity is in post processing. I so want to tweak these pics just a little bit

Wow, could I have heard myself saying that. Probably 75% of the time I spend on a contest isn’t on selecting shots, but rather tweaking each candidate to “perfection” prior to selecting. Which sometimes leads to a little internal “psychosis” when I compare before and after, see that there’s really no perceptible difference, and then convince myself that that 45 minutes was still totally worth it. 😆 🙄

I started in JPG only, moved to RAW+JPG for a while until I got comfortable enough with RAW, and now shoot only in RAW, mostly for the reason above – I know I’m going to be tweaking it anyway! 🙂

Neither of my point n shoot Canons do Raw files.

That was one of the requirements when I went looking for a P’nS for “less serious stuff” last year. I’ve been pretty happy with it. At least one of my entries for this contest is going to be from it.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 132 total)
  • The topic ‘01-18-12 – Straight Out of Camera’ is closed to new replies.