01-18-12 – Straight Out of Camera

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 01-18-12 – Straight Out of Camera

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 132 total)
  • Author
    staplermofo
    Participant

Every so often I try to talk myself into a newer, fancier camera. I look at the resolution and think “nah, I’ve never needed a couple million more pixels” or “Another 15 AF points? Psh, if I was that picky I’d just do it manually” or “pentaprisms are nice, but not $300 nice”…
    At the end of the day, I’m happy with what I have.

But this cock-biting fruit of a shit-fucking whore’s Crohn’s-ravaged prolapsed anus’s 95% viewfinder coverage has dusted my doilies this contest.

ennuipoet
    Participant

After thinking long and hard (heh heh) on this, I decided to go back to digital. My question is, other than honor, how can one tell if a shot is straight out of the camera? All three of mine are unedited RAW but I chose them because they look as though they were edited.

It’s more of an academic question than actually asking about enforcement. How do you spot a subtly edited digital still?

Kestrana
    Participant

This is too easy ennuipoet.

I CAN TELL BY THE PIXELS

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I CAN TELL BY THE PIXELS

Well, that and having seen quite a few photos in your time, right?

ennuipoet, I think it’s all going to have to be on the honor system. I don’t think we have to worry about any of us regulars (at least I hope not), and we can’t have Elsinore doing forensic analysis on every entry, so unless it’s just in-your-face blatant, we’ll have to take everybody’s word for it.

kashari
    Participant

But this cock-biting fruit of a shit-fucking whore’s Crohn’s-ravaged prolapsed anus’s 95% viewfinder coverage has dusted my doilies this contest.

That sentence is a thing of beauty! 😆

And then I’ll just leave this here….”The D7000 has an excellent viewfinder for its class – offering 100% coverage”.

(so now I can see all the crap in my shot instead of just some…)

kashari
    Participant

As for the in-camera RAW processing, are our default shooting settings kosher, like if contrast or sharpening is bumped +1? I’m taking this to mean no tweaking afterwards, is that right?

ennuipoet
    Participant

I CAN TELL BY THE PIXELS

And from seeing quite a few in my time!

I went ahead and included in link to the EXIF data in my pre-posting just to demonstrate I’ve nothing to hide 🙂

Kestrana
    Participant

Yeah kashari, post processing is right out.

linguine
    Participant

Are we allowed to do any sharpening when scaling down to fark sized or should we not do that for this contest?

U-Man
    Participant

Are we allowed to do any sharpening when scaling down to fark sized or should we not do that for this contest?

As for the in-camera RAW processing, are our default shooting settings kosher, like if contrast or sharpening is bumped +1? I’m taking this to mean no tweaking afterwards, is that right?

My take on this is that any sharpening is not OK. So, kashari, if you have your default RAW settings at a +1 they should be set back to ‘0’ for this theme.

But that’s just my $0.02. I’m using virgin jpegs so it’s a no-brainer. (No-brainer virgin jpegs somehow sounds dirty. Doesn’t it?)

I have a love/hate relationship with these completely open themes. My OCD-perfectionist tendencies cannot leave farking well enough alone. I have to keep looking and searching the archives and going “OH!” what about….” Then I wind up using my first three ideas.

Then again, I keep finding whole sets of photos that I forgot about. 🙂

orionid
    Participant

Then again, I keep finding whole sets of photos that I forgot about. 🙂

I know this pain. I’m processing all the “I didn’t know what processing was” sets.

sleeping
    Participant

My take on this is that any sharpening is not OK. So, kashari, if you have your default RAW settings at a +1 they should be set back to ‘0’ for this theme.

It seems pretty clear from what ZE posted earlier:

I don’t see why not? Play with the white balance, use your in-camera “film simulator”, whatever “presets” or “styles” you may have … its all good.

That he was pretty much open to any use of camera settings (set before taking the photo) for this theme, and I don’t see why that wouldn’t include sharpen settings.

But doing it afterwards is pretty clearly Right Out…

U-Man
    Participant

It seems pretty clear from what ZE posted earlier:

I don’t see why not? Play with the white balance, use your in-camera “film simulator”, whatever “presets” or “styles” you may have … its all good.

That he was pretty much open to any use of camera settings (set before taking the photo) for this theme, and I don’t see why that wouldn’t include sharpen settings.

But doing it afterwards is pretty clearly Right Out…

Aaaahhh. I missed the ‘in-camera’ part. I thought kash meant the +1 would be done in the open-RAW-image thingie on a computer.

Kestrana
    Participant

Hey, apparently Drew & Co. have something planned for SOPA protest day. If Fark is down, what are we gonna do?

ravnostic
    Participant

I, personally, am not posting any online images or (other than this) forum posts till 10:08pm tomorrow. 24 hours. g’bye.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 132 total)
  • The topic ‘01-18-12 – Straight Out of Camera’ is closed to new replies.