01-18-12 – Straight Out of Camera

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 01-18-12 – Straight Out of Camera

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 132 total)
  • Author
    Farktographer
    Participant

I might be missing something but…what internet protest? The UK news doesn’t cover this much…maybe I need to check the US interweb for an update.

Farktographer
    Participant

^Google search cleared things up. I knew websites were going down, but didn’t know individuals were heading off, too.

kashari
    Participant

I’m confused too on this SOPA thing. I read yesterday that the sponsoring Representative had withdrawn it? I also hadn’t thought about how it might affect the contest,

Yugoboy
    Participant

Any clue how long Fark will be “white”?

I know which pics I want to use, but I have utterly failed to get them ready (resizing, hosting). While I probably will still have them done by 8, more time would be cool. (Then I could get Stoned and Strange ready at the same time)

Disregard the above. I missed the “Continue to Fark” link…

staplermofo
    Participant

Anyone want a mod to post a totally black (or white, to match Fark) photo (with voting enabled) in solidarity?

kashari
    Participant

Anyone want a mod to post a totally black (or white, to match Fark) photo (with voting enabled) in solidarity?

Sounds good to me. Now that I’ve read up a little more on the status, I guess it’s not as dead as I thought. This link from the Main Page is a good summary:

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R41911.pdfb

linguine
    Participant

I’m confused too on this SOPA thing. I read yesterday that the sponsoring Representative had withdrawn it? I also hadn’t thought about how it might affect the contest,

SOPA has been shelved for the moment, although they may rework it and bring it back. But PIPA, the senate version, is still scheduled to be voted on next week.

Yugoboy
    Participant

On-line piracy of music and movies is for those too lazy to go to the library and do it for themselves.

On-line piracy of software is another story.

Farktographer
    Participant

On-line piracy of music and movies is for those too lazy to go to the library and do it for themselves.

On-line piracy of software is another story.

I truly believe that if someone downloads something for free, it’s the person who wasn’t planning on buying that thing in the first place. Most of the people downloading something like photoshop aren’t the ones avoiding the cost to their business, it’s the individuals that wouldn’t pay the $699.00 price tag in the first place. You can’t point at 10 people who have downloaded it and claim, “that’s $6,990 that I lost!” when it’s money that never would have worked its way to Adobe’s pockets in the first place.

I’m not saying it’s right – I’m just saying their logic has a big flaw. Applies to all the supposed losses the MPAA claims, too.

Yugoboy
    Participant

I truly believe that if someone downloads something for free, it’s the person who wasn’t planning on buying that thing in the first place. Most of the people downloading something like photoshop aren’t the ones avoiding the cost to their business, it’s the individuals that wouldn’t pay the $699.00 price tag in the first place. You can’t point at 10 people who have downloaded it and claim, “that’s $6,990 that I lost!” when it’s money that never would have worked its way to Adobe’s pockets in the first place.

Hey! I resemble that remark!

(Elements came free with my Wacom, and GIMP’s always free. Once the Warp tool works its way into Elements or some other less expensive alternative, I may return to the land of sunshine)

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

This is too easy ennuipoet.

I CAN TELL BY THE PIXELS

Well, that and having seen quite a few photos in your time, right?

ennuipoet, I think it’s all going to have to be on the honor system. I don’t think we have to worry about any of us regulars (at least I hope not), and we can’t have Elsinore doing forensic analysis on every entry, so unless it’s just in-your-face blatant, we’ll have to take everybody’s word for it.

^^^This. I mentioned on pg2 that maybe we should add a note to the description asking posters to describe any special equipment or techniques used. Other than that, there’s not much we can do to stop cheaters, but I’m sure if something looks suspicious, people will be asking questions and/or checking out the EXIF data for evidence.

linguine and kashari, setting the sharpness before you take the pic is fine, adjusting sharpness during resizing is not cool for this one.

I tried doing a search about this PIPA stuff, but all I found was a bunch of sites devoted to some british lady’s posterior 😉

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I tried doing a search about this PIPA stuff, but all I found was a bunch of sites devoted to some british lady’s posterior

No, it’s more about America’s posterior; i.e., Congress! 🙂 PIPA and SOPA are more or less the same thing, except one originated in the House of Representatives and the other in the Senate. Both of them are poorly thought out knee-jerk reactions provoked by the big $ of the MPAA and RIAA.

kashari
    Participant

linguine and kashari, setting the sharpness before you take the pic is fine, adjusting sharpness during resizing is not cool for this one.

I tried doing a search about this PIPA stuff, but all I found was a bunch of sites devoted to some british lady’s posterior 😉

Ok, thanks.

Looks like the SOPAPIPAPILLA sponsors are starting to drop:

https://mashable.com/2012/01/18/pipa-sopa-abandon-bill/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Morningbreath
    Participant

After thinking long and hard (heh heh) on this, I decided to go back to digital. My question is, other than honor, how can one tell if a shot is straight out of the camera? All three of mine are unedited RAW but I chose them because they look as though they were edited.

It’s more of an academic question than actually asking about enforcement. How do you spot a subtly edited digital still?

I chose mine because they look edited too.

Yugoboy
    Participant

Has anyone else come to the realization that they probably lean a bit much on post-processing?
    I only went with one of the 3 I originally wanted because the others needed “something.” Finally came up with 4. Took far too long, and was way too much work, but I got my 3 and a B: My B

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 132 total)
  • The topic ‘01-18-12 – Straight Out of Camera’ is closed to new replies.