01-20-10 – Sunrise…Sunset…

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 01-20-10 – Sunrise…Sunset…

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 150 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Dammit, you just jinxed it 😆

olavf
    Participant

Nah, that only happens if I think that way about one of my own shots 😉

orionid
    Participant

They all look good. Like I said, I tend to be more critical of my own. I’m even second-guessing my logic that the second one I showed isn’t sunset-y enough. It was from a park that “closes at sunset” and the ranger was ten feet behind me telling me to hurry up. The sun was below the horizon, but it’s pretty obvious from the right-hand edge that it wasn’t too far below.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Thing is, a sunset (or sunrise) is often much more colorful and vibrant with the sun below the horizon, so I don’t think the sun being fully down or not yet risen should DQ anything. I guess I was trying to figure out the line of when a sunset shot becomes more twilight/dusk and thus not eligible. I’m not sure if I’ll use that frozen lake pic or not, but I think probably it would be impossible to draw a clear line (though the chances that we’d have a truly egregiously un-sunset/un-sunrise picture is pretty low.

olavf
    Participant

Funny how that works, isn’t it orionid? I still feel that in some ways the one you’re questioning is at least, if not more sunset-y than mine. Just on the twilight end of the scale.

Kestrana
    Participant

Am I the only person using sunrises? 😛

olavf
    Participant

I’ve got one, but I think the three I’ve slated are a bit better
    /not generally conscious enough to operate a camera that time of day

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I have a sunrise shot, though I’m hoping to get a better one tomorrow morning.

linguine
    Participant

Ive got a couple of sunrises in my pool of possible entries.

orionid
    Participant

The sun also rises? Oh, I think I saw that once on my way to bed after a long night.

U-Man
    Participant

Am I the only person using sunrises? 😛

I might use one. Sunsets are just so much easier.

One thing these contests do for me – they make me go though all of the photos I have accumulated. After the past few themes I have come to the conclusion that I take a fuck-load of pics. I have 15 or so possibles and keep finding more.

orionid
    Participant

All of my sunrises are lame in comparison to the sunsets. Even with location and subject matter.

Or well into twilight and obviously pre-sunrise.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=sunrise&w=32418571@N07

U-Man
    Participant

Last summer (maybe two summers ago) I was driving and the sunset way cool. I stopped and took some pics. But, I had o get someplace and didn’t stay until it set. Then, while I was driving two minutes later, the damn sun did this. (Taken while driving.)

By the time I had stopped again, the swirly coolosity had passed and it was just a regular pretty orange sunset again. *sigh*

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

OK, what say you all on a photo like this,

where the color in the sky was exaggerated by smoke/ash from wildfires? It was late in the afternoon, but particles VERY high in the air essentially accelerated the sunset and it started much earlier than normal. The colors were also quite odd. I have three sets of photos taken on three separate days when wildfires were raging and I’ve used a couple already in contests. But I wasn’t sure they fit this theme or not and wanted to get clarification before Wednesday.

I have other sunset shots since I seem to have a habit of pointing my camera at the sun for some reason… So I won’t be crushed if the consensus is that the smoke/ash ones aren’t allowed this week.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Looks p[perfect to me. Don’t see why the ash would make a difference. Fires and volcanic eruptions often make for gorgeous sunrises and sunsets. I think what works for that one is that you can see how close the sun is to the horizon, so it’s obviously setting or rising as opposed to a mid-day sun.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 150 total)
  • The topic ‘01-20-10 – Sunrise…Sunset…’ is closed to new replies.