02-15-12 – Places of Worship

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 02-15-12 – Places of Worship

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    nobigdeal
    Participant

Is it me or did the voters go MIA this week?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Elsinore, check out Sprialmonkey’s comment on my entry 2012 02 15 08:09:49PM. Looks like I goofed when I put it into my scrapbook of Scotland. I do have another church photo I can enter, so please delete my “Kirk” that isn’t a “Kirk” and I’ll get the other one on there. 😳

No worries, will do.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Well, darn, I thought there would’ve been more stained glass entries or else I would’ve gone with my last bee instead of my third A.

Is it me or did the voters go MIA this week?

We’re a little below average, but probably not too far off based on the number of entries. We’re above Strange, which had fewer and just slightly less than Stoned, which had many more entries.

ravnostic
    Participant

Man, I knew I wouldn’t do well this week–life got in the way of my getting new shots–but I hadn’t a clue how well I’d not do well!

Such is life. Some of the work this week is absolutely stunning; I’ll just be a fly on the wall, over there –>

Farktographer
    Participant

Man, I knew I wouldn’t do well this week–life got in the way of my getting new shots–but I hadn’t a clue how well I’d not do well!

Such is life. Some of the work this week is absolutely stunning; I’ll just be a fly on the wall, over there –>

It’s okay, I’m not feeling the love on this one, either. What I thought was my best photo is dragging its feet the most of my entries.

lokisbong
    Participant

I feel for you guys. I usually have the same problem. Not doing to bad with my Manhattan Nv. shot. I am pleasantly surprised again this week. And yet again there are a ton of great shots this week including Farktographers Deep Detail and Ravs cobwebbed Stainedglass along with a bunch of others.

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

Orionid – regarding your 3rd B, you never mentioned your vacation to Minas Tirith.

We were there helping defend against the siege from Mordor.

Pope Larry The Tamron? I want one, but I really want the Tokina 12-24, especially after Soosh‘s glowing reviews (“yeah, you know, I left it in the Alaskan wilderness for two weeks during the winter and a blizzard rolled in. Went back and found it. Threw it in a bag of desiccant for a couple days and it still works good as new.”).

Yes, it’s the Tamron one. I use it mainly for architecture and landscape photos. I’m very happy with it.

Barracuda
    Participant

CISS – Love both your B-A and B-C.

Looking at the photos above me and below me, I’d say I’m satisfied with my two 48th’s. I may have done better with one of my 3 Breckenridge CO churches, but wanted to use new shots that I meant to take as photography rather than quick snaps with a good camera while out on a walk on vacation. Of course, of my shot during my first trip to the little white St. Mary Baptist, this one is my favorite: https://picasaweb.google.com/102637182371352471338/PhotographyMisc#5707344852899301842, but it’s not Farktopgraphy approved.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Thanks, ‘Cuda!

… rather than quick snaps with a good camera while out on a walk on vacation.

Wish it weren’t so, but you just described my entries for the past several contests. 😕

It’s a worthy goal, for sure, though. That was my resolution this time last year (take at least 1 new shot per contest). I think it lasted about 3 months before real life got in the way again.

And actually, this contest is both – I took all my shots this week while on vacation last year, but I had this contest in mind while doing it. 🙂

U-Man
    Participant

Yep. Me too. Although after the last few weeks I’ll just STFU now.

I’ve been talking to some Catholic friends though. There are a few old churches in town that I want to get into when they’re empty. I think they can make that happen.

Orionid, evidently you were right. That grotto was waaaaay crazy impressive in person. I had sort of crappy flat light and didn’t know exactly what to do with it. I didn’t carpture the craziness. The place looked like me and my 13 year old made it with about 10 millions shells and bits of glass and shiat.

Chiming in on the Tokina stuff. –> I don’t have one, but I have heard good things about the 11-16 mm (other than the short range)

Yoyo
    Participant

Pope Larry The Tamron? I want one, but I really want the Tokina 12-24, especially after Soosh‘s glowing reviews (“yeah, you know, I left it in the Alaskan wilderness for two weeks during the winter and a blizzard rolled in. Went back and found it. Threw it in a bag of desiccant for a couple days and it still works good as new.”).

I picked up the Tamron 10-24mm zoom last summer. I was also looking at the Canon EF-S and Sigma, but ultimately went with the Tamron. It’s a good complement to the Canon kit EF-S 18-55mm, being 45% wider.

It’s great for interiors and urban architecture. Unfortunately I got it after my trip to Spain. I was using it last week for Apples and Oranges, and also for my photo of the stone church this week. It makes a reasonable replacement for a shift lens if you don’t mind cropping out half the image.

Farktographer
    Participant

Also going to chime in on the ultra-wides. I picked up a 10-20 mm Sigma just a few weeks ago; haven’t had a chance to give it much testing, but just uploaded some SOOC shots to share so you can check out quality and whatnot. If there are blurry spots on the lens, keep in mind it was snowing and my cloth was doing nothing to wick away moisture from off the lens 😉

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ilpadrino03/6890252081/ – open to 11 mm
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ilpadrino03/6890250599/ – wide open to 10 mm
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ilpadrino03/6890248793/ – wide open to 10 mm

I feel you can see a little stretching when you get to the corners of the wide open shots, but I’m not sure that can be prevented without going much higher in price range; from what I was reading with reviews and whatnot, this seemed the best deal I could find (got it used off Amazon). Same with the chromatic aberration – it’s seen in the very edge of the corners, and even then it’s pretty slight (look at the original size), but the center of the image is nice and sharp.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Congrats to TheOtherOne79 on the “Best” category win and to IAAl on the “Funniest” category win this week!

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Congrats to TheOtherOne79 on the individual win and to Pope Larry II on the combined win. The Weekly Reports post has been updated with the latest stats. I know he/she has been posting here lately, so congrats also to CiliarySpasm on his/her first top ten!

No unvotes again this week!

ennuipoet
    Participant

I would like to thank the voters for the Surprise Top Five this week! I’ve worn the hell out of that Church in so many Farktography Threads!

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 120 total)
  • The topic ‘02-15-12 – Places of Worship’ is closed to new replies.