02-15-12 – Places of Worship

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 02-15-12 – Places of Worship

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Buildings where people go to worship, pray, confess, meditate, marry, bury, see visions or whatever else. Examples include: Churches, mosques, shrines, ashrams, sweat lodges. Difficulty: It’s gotta be man-made and have a semblance of walls and roof. Note: Sports venues do not count.

orionid
    Participant

Have we officially banned sports venues?

Farktographer
    Participant

Everything except Notre Dame Stadium. ‘Cuz, ya know, Touchdown Jesus.

Yugoboy
    Participant

Everything except Notre Dame Stadium. ‘Cuz, ya know, Touchdown Jesus.

Unless there’s a chapel, I’m going with “Yes, banned.” Even Mile-High Stadium, Tebow notwithstanding.

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

It’s a good thing I’m a fan of Ecclesiastical architecture. (and an architecture nerd in general).

geom_00
    Participant

To clarify…is this just the outsides of places of worship, or can this be inside too?

vs

/NOT my pictures BTW (although I WISH the second one was)

Farktographer
    Participant

My understanding was either inside or outside. Yugo?

geom_00
    Participant

Even the site where Three Rivers once stood? I mean after all..the Immaculate Reception and all that.

Also, I think that Heinz Field, and Beaver Stadium should be an exception to this ban. With all of the prayers inside THOSE two stadiums in the past year, I think they ARE churches.

/I am kidding of course.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Some Possible Reasons
    for the Superbowl Happening
    on a Sunday

It may be that God is a consummate gambler,
    and knows better than to take a wager
    against this kind of passion play.
    Or the predilection of people for prayer
    and its potential necessity
    when it comes to a Third Down and Three.
    How the odds are better
    when twelve men gather
    there’s a game in the coliseum
    or on the TeeVee
    substitute the host for hot wings,
    I think you’ll see what I mean.
    Because, it’s the worship
    and these temples pack more capacity
    than any arsty fartsy chapel in Rome
    and no coincidence
    goal posts are a cruciform.
    because whether it is an altar
    or an end zone,
    somebody is praying
    who fervently believes
    (and are, statistically, more likely to receive)
    in a miracle
    by the Fourth Quarter.

Yugoboy
    Participant

Either. The only restriction is that it’s got to be a building dedicated to some belief system.

orionid
    Participant

Either. The only restriction is that it’s got to be a building dedicated to some belief system.

I believe the Steelers are on a Stairway to Seven.

geom_00
    Participant

I believe the Steelers are on a Stairway to Seven.

I like the cut of your jib!

ennuipoet
    Participant

So, any building with Guinness on tap would by, definition, meet this theme? I say this because I believe in only two things: Guinness make everything better and Jameson whiskey makes Guinness better.

Ahhhhhmmennnnnn

Farktographer
    Participant

So, any building with Guinness on tap would by, definition, meet this theme? I say this because I believe in only two things: Guinness make everything better and Jameson whiskey makes Guinness better.

Ahhhhhmmennnnnn

When I first got here, I made the mistake of asking people if they enjoyed Irish Car Bombs (Guinness + Bailey’s + Jameson = awesome). They…um… don’t take too kindly to that sort of talk in Manchester. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_Manchester_bombing Didn’t know that ahead of time. Oops.

Since then, I have ordered Irish Car Bombs in the bars, but I always have to order each ingredient individually.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Ahhhhhmmennnnnn

When I first got here, I made the mistake of asking people if they enjoyed Irish Car Bombs (Guinness + Bailey’s + Jameson = awesome). They…um… don’t take too kindly to that sort of talk in Manchester. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_Manchester_bombing Didn’t know that ahead of time. Oops.

Since then, I have ordered Irish Car Bombs in the bars, but I always have to order each ingredient individually.

You didn’t actually DO that did you?!?!
    I’ve never trod on the shores of Eire and have only briefly spent time in Merry Ole, but the one thing I learned is NEVER order American drinks anywhere but in the USA!

😯

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 120 total)
  • The topic ‘02-15-12 – Places of Worship’ is closed to new replies.