02-15-12 – Places of Worship

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 02-15-12 – Places of Worship

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    Farktographer
    Participant

When I first got here, I made the mistake of asking people if they enjoyed Irish Car Bombs (Guinness + Bailey’s + Jameson = awesome). They…um… don’t take too kindly to that sort of talk in Manchester. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_Manchester_bombing Didn’t know that ahead of time. Oops.

Since then, I have ordered Irish Car Bombs in the bars, but I always have to order each ingredient individually.

You didn’t actually DO that did you?!?!
    I’ve never trod on the shores of Eire and have only briefly spent time in Merry Ole, but the one thing I learned is NEVER order American drinks anywhere but in the USA!

😯

I’ve never ordered them in a bar, but I *did* ask a couple of local Mancs if they liked Irish Car Bombs before going out my first night of drinking. Whoops. Learned real fast after that. “I’ll have a half a pint of Guinness, and a shot of Baileys topped with Jameson on the side. Cheers.”

zincprincess
    Participant

My understanding was either inside or outside. Yugo?

Either. The only restriction is that it’s got to be a building dedicated to some belief system.

I live in the south. We worship college football on Saturday, Jesus on Sunday, and NFL on Sunday afternoons. Most of the time we talk about Saturday’s worship during Sunday’s. That being said, you can’t swing a dead cat in my town without hitting a church. I need to get busy, I guess.

orionid
    Participant

When I first got here, I made the mistake of asking people if they enjoyed Irish Car Bombs (Guinness + Bailey’s + Jameson = awesome). They…um… don’t take too kindly to that sort of talk in Manchester. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_Manchester_bombing Didn’t know that ahead of time. Oops.

Since then, I have ordered Irish Car Bombs in the bars, but I always have to order each ingredient individually.

You didn’t actually DO that did you?!?!
    I’ve never trod on the shores of Eire and have only briefly spent time in Merry Ole, but the one thing I learned is NEVER order American drinks anywhere but in the USA!

😯

I’ve never ordered them in a bar, but I *did* ask a couple of local Mancs if they liked Irish Car Bombs before going out my first night of drinking. Whoops. Learned real fast after that. “I’ll have a half a pint of Guinness, and a shot of Baileys topped with Jameson on the side. Cheers.”

When we pulled into Scotland, we figured that asking for an Irish car bomb was probably a bad idea, so we decided just to call it a “car bomb” instead. When we asked the bartender if she knew how to make a car bomb, she said know, but might know a guy for the right price. So we told her it was a drink, how to make it, and ordered a round. By the end of the night, we had half the bar coming up to us and saying things like “you yanks are allright. These car bombs are pretty good.”

Yugoboy
    Participant

That being said, you can’t swing a dead cat in my town without hitting a church. I need to get busy, I guess.

This is one of the most interesting things to the sociology/anthropology part of my brain when my wife and I go to the south. The number of churches, who attends and the sizes. What really got us was the billboards. Up here you get the occasional Latter Day Saints billboard (especially at Hill Cumorah Pageant time), and the other occasional issue-oriented church-funded billboard. Down south they’re everywhere, doing nothing but trying to guilt you into attending some church or other…

fun times…

ennuipoet
    Participant

Folks, I am going Internet dark for a few days while I work out some billing issues. I SHOULD be back online early next week, but you never know, particularly if you are living my life. Could I get an OBO if I have not canceled this request by the live date next week? Here is the code:

Click for Flickr
    “High Rise Worship”

Click for Flickr^
    “Low Rent Worship”

Click for Flickr^
    “Street Corner Worship”

Thanks in advance!

Kestrana
    Participant

Yes I can OBO for you ennuipoet

Curious
    Participant

My understanding was either inside or outside. Yugo?

Either. The only restriction is that it’s got to be a building dedicated to some belief system.

I live in the south. We worship college football on Saturday, Jesus on Sunday, and NFL on Sunday afternoons. Most of the time we talk about Saturday’s worship during Sunday’s. That being said, you can’t swing a dead cat in my town without hitting a church. I need to get busy, I guess.

since you missed thursday and friday night football i’m not believing you live in the south. small town high school football is king !!! nothing more fun than driving into smallsville and seeing a HUGE SIGN saying — home of the AA champs. with all the years listed. downtown has a stop sign, shuttered stores and an abandon grain elevator but by golly they win football games.

oh yeah, a piggly wiggly too.

Curious
    Participant

When we pulled into Scotland, we figured that asking for an Irish car bomb was probably a bad idea, so we decided just to call it a “car bomb” instead. When we asked the bartender if she knew how to make a car bomb, she said know, but might know a guy for the right price. So we told her it was a drink, how to make it, and ordered a round. By the end of the night, we had half the bar coming up to us and saying things like “you yanks are allright. These car bombs are pretty good.”

i’m going out on a limb here and guessing you weren’t in uniform.

Curious
    Participant

That being said, you can’t swing a dead cat in my town without hitting a church. I need to get busy, I guess.

This is one of the most interesting things to the sociology/anthropology part of my brain when my wife and I go to the south. The number of churches, who attends and the sizes. What really got us was the billboards. Up here you get the occasional Latter Day Saints billboard (especially at Hill Cumorah Pageant time), and the other occasional issue-oriented church-funded billboard. Down south they’re everywhere, doing nothing but trying to guilt you into attending some church or other…

fun times…

Wiggins, MS

ennuipoet
    Participant

Yes I can OBO for you ennuipoet

BTW, as is probably obvious, I won’t need the OBO thanks to the timely intervention of a friend. 😀

Barracuda
    Participant

Church Candidate #1

Church Candidate #2

Thoughts on these two?

ennuipoet
    Participant

Church Candidate #1

Church Candidate #2

Thoughts on these two?

I like #2 but that is because I have a soft spot for little white Churches…not enough to GO to a church, but for photographing.

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

Church Candidate #1

Church Candidate #2

Thoughts on these two?

I like #1, but I have a soft spot for post-Vatican II churches. They are just so groovy.

lokisbong
    Participant

Church Candidate #1

Church Candidate #2

Thoughts on these two?

I think I like 1 also but I cannot say why exactly the other one is all rustic and cool too but 1 just seems to jump out at me more.

Yoyo
    Participant

Can’t I just archive dive for this one? Do I really need to take the car out and drive down the El Camino Real until I get to la igelsia de San Isidro? I’ve got lots of shots of Spain, and the place where Mother Theresa got her calling from God. I mean once you’ve seen one San Franciscan style church, you’ve seen them all…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 120 total)
  • The topic ‘02-15-12 – Places of Worship’ is closed to new replies.