02-18-09 – First Person Shooter

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 02-18-09 – First Person Shooter

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Pictures that look like they could come from a first person game. Subject must be using something in the image. Only parts of your body that can be seen without a mirror are allowed in the shot.

Theme suggestion brought to you by corsec67.

lokisbong
    Participant

This is turning out to be rather tricky to get a decent picture. I tried to fly my micro helicopter and take a picture of it with my remote visible in hand but it is hard to get it all in focus or lookin cool while out of focus . I gotta try again with some other ideas and more flight time is needed I think.

corsec67
    Participant

… but it is hard to get it all in focus or lookin cool while out of focus.

Yeah, same here.
    This is actually one contest where people with smaller cameras have an advantage. I haven’t used my compact cameras in a while, but for this contest cameras with smaller sensors make it easier, since the large DOF helps a ton. (The smaller sensor advantage means this is, at least to me, a contest where the “better” equipment might be actually at a disadvantage)

Like this, taken with my small FujiFilm F30:

(A similar shot with my Pentax K100D at 35mm f/2.8 has a tiny DOF compared to that)

2 ideas for people that think this is a difficult contest:
    Laser pointer and a cat
    Fork and food

olavf
    Participant

I’m guessing/hoping that it doesn’t *actually* have to be my body parts? I thin I could do a lot better if I shot ‘over someone’s shoulder’ as it were.

corsec67
    Participant

I’m guessing/hoping that it doesn’t *actually* have to be my body parts? I thin I could do a lot better if I shot ‘over someone’s shoulder’ as it were.

Yeah, that definitely works. It doesn’t even have to have any body parts at all. Gloves + chainsaw would be Doom, for example. Or a shovel might not even have a gloved hand.

(In my case, it was better to have someone else running the blowtorch.)

orionid
    Participant

(In my case, it was better to have someone else running the blowtorch.)

Hmmm…… I thought I had mine figured out….. this makes me want to reconsider….

olavf
    Participant

Cool. I’ve got at least one idea I can work with then 🙂

Not letting the wife play with the knives or the blowtorch though – I learned after the last time.

Pickerel
    Participant

This be my boobies on Farktography, since this is actually a photo contest thing I can actually do well with a cheap camera and being tricky!

olavf
    Participant

Pickerel – you’d really be surprised. The wife has a P&S and her overall # of votes is much higher than mine this week. And she got a top ten by the looks of it.

bmwr12
    Participant

How do I enter my picture for the contest?

corsec67
    Participant

How do I enter my picture for the contest?

Welcome.

The contest is going to be on http://fark.com.
    It takes a day or so after you create an account there before you can post, IIRC.

The contest will be a thread on Fark at 23:59 on 02-18-09.
    One picture per post, use normal HTML to post the images. (If you don’t know, ask)
    You will need a reliable image host, these contests take a lot of bandwidth.

(There is a How to Participate, but it really seems like a mess to me. It really should be split into “how to post images” and “how to win” and “rules about the images”)

justkat
    Participant

Cool. I’ve got at least one idea I can work with then 🙂

Not letting the wife play with the knives or the blowtorch though – I learned after the last time.

you are a naughty boy, running around making silly things up about me like that. 😛

(There is a How to Participate, but it really seems like a mess to me. It really should be split into “how to post images” and “how to win” and “rules about the images”)

heh, i think we’d ALL like a ‘how to win’ section! 😉

orionid
    Participant

For those times when a tripod absolutely, positively, just won’t get the shot you’re looking for.

If I had a dollar for every photo I’ve redneck-engineered around an expensive solution……. I’d have a case of beer or so…..

U-Man
    Participant

Orionid, this is the first thing I though of when I saw your pic. Creepy. 🙂

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/foxylibrarian/gumb5.jpg

U-Man
    Participant

By the way, you need to clean up and get that pizza box out in the recycle bin.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 90 total)
  • The topic ‘02-18-09 – First Person Shooter’ is closed to new replies.